[LCBO] ON only: Glenlivet 12 yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky - $52.95

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 1:21 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2251 posts
1105 upvotes
Kitchener
Not one for Scotch but the Jager will hit the spot. Like it ice cold, just like my German heart. Great for when you're feeling under the weather...alternative to staying sick.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Aug 11, 2009
109 posts
22 upvotes
Its crazy how much we get raped up here for booze. I always buy my expensive stuff when I do down to florida. Glenlivet is $25 down there regular price.
Jun 3, 2010
798 posts
196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shylok wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:45 pm
Me too, I've never enjoyed scotch or whiskey much, even Blue label I haven't. But recently friend came over and we drank a bottle of Glenfiddich 15.. It was amazing. Never had something that smooth. I bought a couple bottles and have been afraid to crack one.. Lol. What if I get hooked is the fear lol
Same feeling for me. I had always said I don't drink hard stuff like Cognac and Whiskeys...I grew up thinking whiskey was Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker and Canadian Club...throw in the Chivas Regal and I pretty much waved everything off. One day my friend opened his Suntory Toki and told me to try it....Now I'm hooked. I now know what GOOD whiskey should taste like...not that crap that you get at Karaoke bars.

I am now hooked! I started trying all the expensive stuff...I had some Laphroaig stuff, like the Quarter Cask, 10 and Lore....MAN that is good stuff. But that gets up in the $180 range...so @Shylok, you are right...don't get hooked...it gets damn expensive.

EDIT: Sorry...it was the 15 that I had, not the 10...
Dec 4, 2016
210 posts
90 upvotes
For someone new to Whiskey, between the Toki and the Glenlivet which should I be looking into?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2492 posts
693 upvotes
Kingston
kithid wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:15 am
For someone new to Whiskey, between the Toki and the Glenlivet which should I be looking into?
Neither to start....try a cheaper McClelland to see if you’re going to like this type at all....mind you, you’re only saving a few dollars....I’d go with the Glenlivet if it was me.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2492 posts
693 upvotes
Kingston
Not seen it in Canada but many duty free stores have a single malt Irish whisky called Connemara which is very reasonably priced and extremely smooth.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2251 posts
1105 upvotes
Kitchener
So this might sound like a stupid question; how does everyone drink their Scotch? Isn't this usually 'rocks' or perhaps cut with water? My preference has always been Canadian Whiskey and Tennessee Bourbon.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Sep 4, 2015
111 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
jeff1970 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 5:10 pm
So this might sound like a stupid question; how does everyone drink their Scotch? Isn't this usually 'rocks' or perhaps cut with water? My preference has always been Canadian Whiskey and Tennessee Bourbon.
Neat, maybe with a few drops of water. In a Glencairn Glass, is what the general consensus is. But in the end it's up to everyone's taste
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2585 posts
1753 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeff1970 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 5:10 pm
When you're in the mood to sip something over time and enjoy the full effect of the heat and flavour, drink it neat (typically in a tumbler ("rocks glass") or a snifter).
If you have a scotch with some character and complexity, try adding just a few drops of water to a shot in a tumbler or snifter and pay attention to the subtle change in body and flavours. Then add a few more drops and watch how it changes again. Some scotches just get watered down; some have two or more distinct levels of flavour, becoming something new with each addition of a few drops of water. I haven't done that with Glenlivet for a long time, but IIRC it's not very complex that way, so don't be let down if that's the first one you try it with.
When you're in the mood to drink something cooler and smoother, drink it with one ice cube. (Two if you want it more refreshing than brisk.)
When you're in the mood to have a drink more like a beverage, drink it with water - whatever amount you like, according to your taste and your mood at the time.
When you're out of beer, drink scotch with water and ice. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I like all of the above. Just depends on what I want at the time. I recommend trying it all those ways and finding your own fave(s). And your faves may change over time, so try them all again once in a while. And try them with different whiskys too.
Last edited by OakAged on Jan 23rd, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2585 posts
1753 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kithid wrote:
Sorry I'm not familiar with the Toki, but I'd say that the Glenlivet is a pretty good introduction to single-malt scotch whisky, because it's fairly "soft and mild" compared to others, but not to the point of being watery or boring. It's got a pretty straighforward grain and wood flavour that forms the basis of all scotch. There are others that add interesting things like smoke, peat, caramel, hints of dried fruit, honey, etc. It may be that you end up never really liking Glenlivet but do some day find a more intense single malt that you really like. So keep in mind that Glenlivet is a more subtle one, which is why I think it's a good place to start, and there's more to discover when you're ready to explore.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3703 posts
936 upvotes
Ottawa
kithid wrote:
You're going to get some good advice (and some mixed advice) here. If you want to experiment, I would suggest starting a number of ways, each for different reasons: (1) a decent but affordable blend like Chivas Regal - something you won't feel badly pouring over ice; (2) a decent Irish whiskey (my choice is Powers Gold Label); (3) a smooth single malt scotch (like Glenlivet) that you can experiment either neat, on ice, or with a few drops of distilled water; (4) an Islay whiskey just to see if you are one for the peaty stuff (my choice is Lagavulin 18 yo but it's pricey. if you're starting out, try a Bowmore or a McLelland). Once you figure out what kind of scotch drinker you are, then you can spring for the pricier bottles - keep in mind that cost is no guarantee that you're going to like it more. Scotch (and Irish) whiskey is funny that way.
Jan 19, 2017
411 posts
402 upvotes
kithid wrote:
I'd go for The Glenlivet, very well rounded. IMO if you go with a McLellands or another cheaper scotch, as another poster recommended, just to see if you can handle the taste, you'll likely decide you hate it. If you want to work up to scotches though, I started with manhattans/old fashions, then into pressed bourbons, and slowly worked into scotch. As time goes on you'll definitely to notice the quality changes every $20 more per bottle you spend. To justify it, just go out for a drink and pay $7-8 for a single drink, which works out to like $200+ per bottle you consume, and look back to see how much money you save by buying a decent $100 bottle and having a drink at home for $4/oz as opposed to bar prices. Haha
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4263 posts
876 upvotes
Regina
are the whiskey rocks a waste of money or do they really work? I like my booze cold...not sure about putting the glenfiddich bottle in the freezer...I do the ice thing if I have to though
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1747 posts
699 upvotes
GTA
hordosr wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 5:54 pm
are the whiskey rocks a waste of money or do they really work? I like my booze cold...not sure about putting the glenfiddich bottle in the freezer...I do the ice thing if I have to though
I think the point of whiskey rocks is you want to drink it neat but still cold.