Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3837 posts
1145 upvotes
Ottawa

[LCBO] A trio of decent whiskies $6-$7 off at LCBO

I know there is a regular thread about whiskey deals - props to that OP - but there are a trio on sale that I like for different reasons and I others might also want to jump on these "deals":

Suntory Whisky Toki $53.95 ($6 off)
An elegant blend made with a variety of whiskies from Suntory's distilleries; it possesses impeccable balance and harmony; pale golden colour with subtle flavours of citrus, green apple and thyme; the palate is silky but warming and finishes with mildly sweet and spicy notes of vanilla and ginger that linger pleasantly.
Image Glenlivet 12 year old $52.95 ($7 off)
Representing The Glenlivet's signature style this is first matured in traditional oak before spending time in American oak cask. It pours a bright gold colour and offers subtle aromas of orange zest, honey, cinnamon and cereal; flavours repeat with a sweet vanilla element and a hint of smoke on the finish.
Image Laphroaig 10 Year Old Islay Single Malt $73.95 ($6 off)
Nose: less intense smoke; Taste: Much silkier delivery than usual with the sweetness all up front as the peat dovetails in and out of the barley - more complex; Finish: a drier finale with a shade more caramel.
46 replies
Dec 4, 2005
440 posts
420 upvotes
Mississauga
Laphroaig 10 Year Old is not just decent, it's excellent, imo. The problem is it's sooo overpriced at LCBO, it can be bought for about 1/2 of lcbo's price in Europe. I was shocked when I saw prices for single malts in Rome.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3837 posts
1145 upvotes
Ottawa
I love Laphroaig but, for many, it's an acquired taste - quite a bit "peatier" than what many like. These three whiskies are very different from one another but they are are very very good whiskies. Any sale price on them is very much appreciated by yours truly.

I could kick myself - I was just in London last November and I came home empty handed... :rolleyes:
Aug 25, 2015
174 posts
267 upvotes
Victoria, BC
ipopov wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 6:46 pm
Laphroaig 10 Year Old is not just decent, it's excellent, imo. The problem is it's sooo overpriced at LCBO, it can be bought for about 1/2 of lcbo's price in Europe. I was shocked when I saw prices for single malts in Rome.
It's not only the Laphroaig that suffers from this in Canada unfortunately.
Dec 4, 2005
440 posts
420 upvotes
Mississauga
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 6:50 pm
I love Laphroaig but, for many, it's an acquired taste - quite a bit "peatier" than what many like. These three whiskies are very different from one another but they are are very very good whiskies. Any sale price on them is very much appreciated by yours truly.

I could kick myself - I was just in London last November and I came home empty handed... :rolleyes:
Agree with taste, not everyone likes it. I was in Rome last October, bought Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10, 30 euroes each. Btw, Talisker 10 is $105 at lcbo. Unbelievable markups, can't understand how anybody can defend monopolism.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3837 posts
1145 upvotes
Ottawa
ipopov wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 7:22 pm
Agree with taste, not everyone likes it. I was in Rome last October, bought Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10, 30 euroes each. Btw, Talisker 10 is $105 at lcbo. Unbelievable markups, can't understand how anybody can defend monopolism.
Agreed. Talisker 10 runs for roughly $US 70 in the States - or just a tad over $CAD 90.
Mar 14, 2013
282 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Which of these one's would go down the smoothest? Or is that subjective? I've tried a Glendeveron 16 year from duty free and I really enjoyed that. Which would be most similar to that if anyone knows?
Oct 31, 2017
114 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Stuntory is temping...
You miss shots you don't take.
Jul 30, 2011
332 posts
217 upvotes
Durham region
btwitsmatt wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 8:23 pm
Which of these one's would go down the smoothest? Or is that subjective? I've tried a Glendeveron 16 year from duty free and I really enjoyed that. Which would be most similar to that if anyone knows?
You can exclude Laphroaig.

Personally I find Suntory smoother than Glenlivet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3837 posts
1145 upvotes
Ottawa
btwitsmatt wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 8:23 pm
Both the Suntory Toki and the Glenlivet are very smooth
Mar 15, 2014
99 posts
58 upvotes
Mississauga
ipopov wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 7:22 pm
Unbelievable markups, can't understand how anybody can defend monopolism.
Isn’t a huge percentage of the price tax in Ontario?
Jun 24, 2012
167 posts
87 upvotes
TORONTO
For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7375 posts
1081 upvotes
Toronto
ipopov wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 6:46 pm
So, by Europe, do you mean Italy? Or is it cheaper in every European country?
May 13, 2009
199 posts
361 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thank you! I might go and get the Suntory.

...oh, and I'm the OP that posts the Scotch threads....the more threads, the better! :)

Be sure to search this silly link: http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/jsp ... anguage=EN

I say silly, because the domain name is "foodanddrink.ca" but it's actually searching the "lcbo" inventory.