Expired Hot Deals

[Le Coin] [Badminton + Tennis] Great Boxing Day prices on badminton and tennis gear

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 6:04 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1869 posts
1248 upvotes
Markham
BestFind wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:14 pm
Can someone recommend a badminton racket out of the lot on sale? I am intermediate level, would like to use it for doubles and can smash better. I currently play with a nanoray orion racket which i bout for about $60 at Sports expert and would like to buy a 2nd racket

I dont understand the gamut of Yonex rackets and branding
I would agree with acidburn09 that the Nanoray 200 Aero isn’t a bad choice and is a cheaper racquet price-wise. It’s a head light so it is a quicker racket which is also helped by its design to be more aerodynamic. Certainly for defensive and net play in doubles, this racket will do the job.

I do think good technique will compensate for smashes to an extent but if your plan is to be a more aggressive player you may want to consider a head heavy racquet. I recently got a Victor Onigiri which is a head heavy (but a light frame) as I was in a similar predicament as you... doubles player, intermediate level and looking for a bit more power. I will admit some of my touch shots are a little off as I only had this racquet for a week, but I notice my smashes have a lot more pop (I had a Nanoray Glanz before).

Just my opinion, but I would probably look at the Voltric 50 etune first. It’s head heavy and you can tweak the weight a little as well. The Duora 7 is another option and it’s more even balanced. You may want to consider this if you’re concerned a head heavy would mess up your defensive game, but it costs more.

While a head heavy isn’t like playing badminton with a tennis racquet, there is a perceptible difference in feel. Like I said, my finesse game is a little off right now but my power game definitely has more oomph in it. I figure in a few weeks, I’ll get acclimated to it.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8613 posts
2353 upvotes
What would be recommended for an intermediate double's player who tries to change his game from finesse to power, depending on the opponent and the feel for what's working on a specific day?
What type of strings also.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
199 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 3:08 pm
What would be recommended for an intermediate double's player who tries to change his game from finesse to power, depending on the opponent and the feel for what's working on a specific day?
What type of strings also.
You should definitely go for either a balanced racquet (Duora/Arcsaber) or a lighter (4U) head heavy racquet (Voltric/Astrox). Balanced racquets would seem like a perfect fit in this case, especially Duora racquets, which have a more aerodynamic side and a more control oriented side.

As far a strings go, BG80 is a great all around string if you don't tend to break your strings much (it does break), Nanogy 99/95 would be your best durable alternative in my opinion.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30583 posts
5073 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
acidburn09 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:20 pm
Shuttles always do that. If you get the Green ones, they'll start off too slow and become ok after a while. I usually just slow them down once they get too fast by widening the skirt using the ground.

Mavis 350 aren't as bad in this regard.
I suggest you start with the 350, widen the skirt using your elbow and not the ground.

Any deals on Aeroplane Black?
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
199 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:08 pm
I suggest you start with the 350, widen the skirt using your elbow and not the ground.

Any deals on Aeroplane Black?
I find that using my elbow wont slow them enough most of the time.

I wouldn't ever expect deals on shuttles, they are basically sold at cost everywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9253 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
On the side note, canuckstuff and yumo pro shop are also holding sales for badminton gear. I am considering picking up an old time favourite, the Bravesword 12 from there since Le Coin does not unfortunately have this racquet.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30583 posts
5073 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mcg wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:27 am
On the side note, canuckstuff and yumo pro shop are also holding sales for badminton gear. I am considering picking up an old time favourite, the Bravesword 12
What's the cost? I still have a Bravesword 10 in my bag. It is one of my backup racquets.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9253 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:50 am
What's the cost? I still have a Bravesword 10 in my bag. It is one of my backup racquets.
Both around 170 + tax, seems OK. Not sure how much it has been before
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
199 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal
mcg wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 1:30 am
Both around 170 + tax, seems OK. Not sure how much it has been before
Sounds about right.

Although I don't know what's the hype with that racquet! I've owned one (Brave Sword 12) like 7 years ago, it was good, but it seems the new ones they keep remaking don't feel the same. I ended up reselling it.
Nov 29, 2017
38 posts
11 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:50 am
How's the Brave Sword 10 ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9253 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
acidburn09 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 10:37 am
Sounds about right.

Although I don't know what's the hype with that racquet! I've owned one (Brave Sword 12) like 7 years ago, it was good, but it seems the new ones they keep remaking don't feel the same. I ended up reselling it.
I tried the BS12 for the first time a few days ago and loved it very much. Been using my Arcsaber 10 for many years, and wish I had discovered the BS12 much earlier.

The ARC10 is still an awesome racquet but myself being on the weaker side, I couldn't clear well on my backhand and couldn't change direction of the shuttle quickly enough while defending. The BS12 head speed helped me with that and I felt I could do it a lot easier and with less effort.

I guess I'm in that phase where I'm discovering what racquet would be the "best" for me, since I used to just pick up whatever racquet seemed good and was available second-hand.

Still doing research, seems like the Jetspeed 10 is a great fast racquet as well. Although the stiffness is what worries me, and it's hard to find one to demo here.

Edit: Was also considering the Nanoray 600 - seems like a great racquet, head light and flexible (maybe too flexible for me) shaft makes it easy to hit... on sale @ RacquetGuys for $150.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
199 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal
mcg wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 1:06 pm
I tried the BS12 for the first time a few days ago and loved it very much. Been using my Arcsaber 10 for many years, and wish I had discovered the BS12 much earlier.

The ARC10 is still an awesome racquet but myself being on the weaker side, I couldn't clear well on my backhand and couldn't change direction of the shuttle quickly enough while defending. The BS12 head speed helped me with that and I felt I could do it a lot easier and with less effort.

I guess I'm in that phase where I'm discovering what racquet would be the "best" for me, since I used to just pick up whatever racquet seemed good and was available second-hand.

Still doing research, seems like the Jetspeed 10 is a great fast racquet as well. Although the stiffness is what worries me, and it's hard to find one to demo here.

Edit: Was also considering the Nanoray 600 - seems like a great racquet, head light and flexible (maybe too flexible for me) shaft makes it easy to hit... on sale @ RacquetGuys for $150.
Love the Jetspeed 10 (the first one)! It seems it does everything well for me.

The Nanoray 600 has been out of the line up for quite some time now I think, but it's pretty far from the Jetspeed 10
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30583 posts
5073 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
clockworkapple wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 12:48 pm
How's the Brave Sword 10 ?
The Brave Sword is like the Duora. But the frame is tapered on both sides. Very fast swing.

It’s a great racquet. I prefer it over my Duora 10
Dec 24, 2010
235 posts
162 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
acidburn09 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 9:16 pm
Depending on your budget, the Nanoray 200 seems like a bargain and would be a direct upgrade to your racquet. It's also quite good for doubles. If you're looking for more power, then one of the Duora or Voltric racquets should help.
Thanks. Le Coin has Nanoray 200 Aero at $105 but it does not seem to include strings. I visited Sports Experts and this racquet is on sale for $115 - stringed already (down from $180). I guess Sports Experts is a better deal for this racquet? I might go to buy it tomorrow.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
199 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal
BestFind wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 6:17 pm
Thanks. Le Coin has Nanoray 200 Aero at $105 but it does not seem to include strings. I visited Sports Experts and this racquet is on sale for $115 - stringed already (down from $180). I guess Sports Experts is a better deal for this racquet? I might go to buy it tomorrow.
The racquet is already strung at Le Coin too.