Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3091 posts
139 upvotes
GTA

lead pipes - cost to remove them?

House I'm looking at (1920's build) had its home inspection and the inspetor discovered a lead pipe hookup from our house to the city's water main. Inside the house was a mishmash of galvanized and some new copper.

Two questions

1) does anyone know the approximate cost to change the lead pipe? I know the city has a free inspection service (Toronto)

2) untill that can be done, do those water filtration systems work? They say they will reduce lead by up to 97% but has anyone in use? filter
4 replies
Nov 20, 2002
873 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Are you talking about a buried pipe or one that just runs through your basement?

Whatever the case I would recommend replacing it as soon as you can! :o If it is just in your basement, the cost to replace it should be less than ~$200, probably closer to $100, but drinking lead is not really that good for you to say the least. Personally I would not even chance it with a filter, because those things are meant to take out or reduce lead from water that contains nominal amounts to begin with.... not the kind of concentrations that you will get by having water running through a pipe in your house. If you dont have the money to replace it now, I would suggest replacing any drinking water with bottled stuff until you do.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3091 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
Thanks - checked with the city - it is a 12 month wait list for them to fix it.

Ugh....
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2925 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
I was in your situation 2 yrs ago, damn post war homes.... What part of the city do you live?

Try this. Get the city to check the water flow into your house. Toronto guarantees a minimum flow. If you have lead/galvanized steel leading into your house, you will likely fail. They will then put you on the list for water line upgrade for the following season. However, the city will only replace the pipe to the property line. So you're responsible for the property line to your home.

When you see the crew working on it, they have a set price (in writing) per linear feet of piping. You can negotiate a cash price that is lower. It should average about 800 - 1200, depending on your lot size.

In the meantime, flush your toilet or shower EVERY morning to get the water flowing. The lead will not have time to accumulate after that initial flow. I'm not lead free yet, all the copper that was installed prior to purchase must have lead solder, I'm sure a filter can handle that.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3091 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for this - house is around Allen and Eg west.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)