Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2017/18): Cautiously optimistic...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 7:35 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
Honestly, Marner was forgettable this series outside of a few moments. His lack of size really showed and even his speed and hockey smarts couldn't overcome it. Nylander has been much more effective and dynamic. He's got great speed and hands, and his edge work and cuts are ridiculous. He gave the caps defensemen fits trying to guess which side he was cutting. If we had to trade either one for a top 3 defenseman, I'm leaning towards trading Marner right now.

Hunwick was really good this series playing as the fourth defenseman. If he ends up being in our bottom pairing, that would mean good things for our defense.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:44 pm
Honestly, Marner was forgettable this series outside of a few moments. His lack of size really showed and even his speed and hockey smarts couldn't overcome it. Nylander has been much more effective and dynamic. He's got great speed and hands, and his edge work and cuts are ridiculous. He gave the caps defensemen fits trying to guess which side he was cutting. If we had to trade either one for a top 3 defenseman, I'm leaning towards trading Marner right now.

Hunwick was really good this series playing as the fourth defenseman. If he ends up being in our bottom pairing, that would mean good things for our defense.
Marner's not going anywhere anytime soon. I also dont think they'll trade JvR unless they REALLY upgrade the D.

Also not sure about the obsession with trading 18 yr old top draft picks with 1 year of NHL experience for some middle pairing defenseman needed in the short term. Marner's salary alone is worth keeping him, nevermind he's got another 5-7 years before he hits his ceiling in terms of potential.

None of the 3 kids will be traded. JvR is a maybe, if the right deal comes up. I'd look at Anaheim in terms of D-men, just off the top of my head.

Hyman and Brown will be re-signed since they're coming off 600k and 900k contracts.

The rest, roll the dice, dont know whats gonna happen.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4714 posts
531 upvotes
Well that now makes it 50 years and counting, unbelievable.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:20 am
Marner's not going anywhere anytime soon. I also dont think they'll trade JvR unless they REALLY upgrade the D.

Also not sure about the obsession with trading 18 yr old top draft picks with 1 year of NHL experience for some middle pairing defenseman needed in the short term. Marner's salary alone is worth keeping him, nevermind he's got another 5-7 years before he hits his ceiling in terms of potential.

None of the 3 kids will be traded. JvR is a maybe, if the right deal comes up. I'd look at Anaheim in terms of D-men, just off the top of my head.

Hyman and Brown will be re-signed since they're coming off 600k and 900k contracts.

The rest, roll the dice, dont know whats gonna happen.
I'm not pushing for trading Marner. I'm just saying if it had to be one of the two, I'd keep Nylander.

JVR won't get us the top 2/3 defenseman that we need. He's a good player but he's an UFA after next year and will demand a pretty penny. And I'd say he's hit his potential already. Just look at what Oilers got for Hall.

I hope we can keep all three young stars for the next 7 years. Lou and Shanny has to be very creative to upgrade our defense core. As of now, that's our only real weakness.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:39 am
I'm not pushing for trading Marner. I'm just saying if it had to be one of the two, I'd keep Nylander.

JVR won't get us the top 2/3 defenseman that we need. He's a good player but he's an UFA after next year and will demand a pretty penny. And I'd say he's hit his potential already. Just look at what Oilers got for Hall.

I hope we can keep all three young stars for the next 7 years. Lou and Shanny has to be very creative to upgrade our defense core. As of now, that's our only real weakness.
Oilers were desperate for a bottom 4 defenseman, and they traded an injury riddled top 10 scorer who generally plays 60 games a season.

JvR is a 60 point player in his prime with 1 year left on his contract. In a package of players and picks, you can get a #1 defenseman (although none are available) and he could easily fetch a #2 guy. Of course, neither of them would be complete rookies. You're looking at someone with 5-7 years of NHL experience in that trade, and a salary under 6 mil
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:44 am
Oilers were desperate for a bottom 4 defenseman, and they traded an injury riddled top 10 scorer who generally plays 60 games a season.

JvR is a 60 point player in his prime with 1 year left on his contract. In a package of players and picks, you can get a #1 defenseman (although none are available) and he could easily fetch a #2 guy. Of course, neither of them would be complete rookies. You're looking at someone with 5-7 years of NHL experience in that trade, and a salary under 6 mil
We'll see who's right come next season then. ;)
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:48 am
We'll see who's right come next season then. ;)
Thing is they have a ton of options.

Also, a huge thing, they have 2 years of cheap rookies. They can get some expensive free agents for 2 years at no danger of affecting Marner or Matthews offers. Nylander i think is due after next year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
5631 posts
143 upvotes
What a season by the Leafs. They were quite enjoyable to watch. Can't wait to watch them next year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6874 posts
1399 upvotes
marner, along with the other 2 wunderkinds, are not going anywhere anytime soon. sure he's got to put on a bit of size and be a little more sure on his feet for the tough battles. the kid is still very young. how long did we give kadri time to get his act together?

with lots of room to grow marner still finished the season with the leaf rookie assist record and went into the last day of the playoffs tied for the team lead in scoring.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6754 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Expansion draft coming, but we won't be in trouble as most players are rookies and thry are excempt.

I see the leafs going for alzner this offseason. Top 4 defensive defenseman. Caps probably won't have money to keep him as they might go w their pickup thus year of Shattenkirk.

I see top free agents looking at Toronto as a possible destination as they will be really competitive in the next several years.

I hope to resign Boyle. He brings experience, and players to lean and learn from. He's a faceoff beast.
Jul 31, 2016
196 posts
97 upvotes
I think the Leafs should be in talks with the Golden Knights. I would work out a trade where the Golden Knights use the expansion draft to poach an extra defensemen off an NHL club that can't protect all their coveted defensemen. Then they turn around and trade him to the Leafs for a player and a pick. Could be a cheap way to get a defenseman, and an easier way for the Golden Knights to get a 60 point scoring forward like JVR.

Defensemen that I drafted using Capfriendly's mock draft tool:

MacDonald, Andrew
Methot, Marc
Demers, Jason
Johnson, Jack
Emelin, Alexei
Gunnarsson, Carl
McQuaid, Adam
Schlemko, David
McNabb, Brayden
Chorney, Taylor
Biega, Alex

I'd love to see Jack Johnson or Adam McQuaid on the Leafs defense core. I think they would help a lot.

Use this link to draft your own mock team: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
TicoGato wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:59 am
I think the Leafs should be in talks with the Golden Knights. I would work out a trade where the Golden Knights use the expansion draft to poach an extra defensemen off an NHL club that can't protect all their coveted defensemen. Then they turn around and trade him to the Leafs for a player and a pick. Could be a cheap way to get a defenseman, and an easier way for the Golden Knights to get a 60 point scoring forward like JVR.

MacDonald, Andrew
Methot, Marc
Demers, Jason
Johnson, Jack
Emelin, Alexei
Gunnarsson, Carl
McQuaid, Adam
Schlemko, David
McNabb, Brayden
Chorney, Taylor
Biega, Alex

I'd love to see Jack Johnson or Adam McQuaid on the Leafs defense core. I think they would help a lot.

Use this link to draft your own mock team: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft
It'd be cool if they could work a deal with Vegas to try and get a decent Dman and out of the list you put up, I'd only really want Methot and maybe McQuaid and that's about it. Johnson doesn't seem to be all that good defensively so pass.

Also for a long time I've been against trading JVR, but now I think I'd be ok with it if it would land us a solid Dman. Maybe trade with the Isles for Calvin De Haan who their fans seem to be high on or maybe for one of the Ducks younger Dman. And then perhaps bring up Dermott to start on the bottom pairing and see how he does and have Carrick and Marchenko as our last guy. That wouldn't be the greatest defensemen group out there, but it would be an improvement over what we have now.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3417 posts
376 upvotes
TicoGato wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:59 am

MacDonald, Andrew
Methot, Marc
Demers, Jason
Johnson, Jack
Emelin, Alexei
Gunnarsson, Carl
McQuaid, Adam
Schlemko, David
McNabb, Brayden
Chorney, Taylor
Biega, Alex

For defence: I think the Leafs will go with 1 FA signing for as well as 1 international signing like how we got Zaitzev and another through FA/trade for depth.

One international target that's come up is Calle Rosen from SEL.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
nx6288 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 4:33 pm
For defence: I think the Leafs will go with 1 FA signing for as well as 1 international signing like how we got Zaitzev and another through FA/trade for depth.

One international target that's come up is Calle Rosen from SEL.
1 thing i know they need for sure is bigger bodies. They need some meaner guys on the team. Hopefully they also retain Boyle. Bozak might be traded if that happens.
Oct 27, 2013
149 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:44 pm

Kid's 19. Give him a break. This is Bell and Rogers now not the Teachers fund who would have traded him at 19 so he could go on scoring 40 a season. You can't base that on 6 playoff games. I'm a bit surprised at Babcock he should have defended him more in the media. Anyway its a learning season and playoff I would have used this opportunity to play him more instead of cut his hours. Break him into the playoffs now. No sense trying to do that next seasons playoffs when it really matters.

Agree with everything else except you forgot kudos to Zack Hyman.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)