Page 1938 of 2862

Re: Leafs Talk: BEST DAY FOR LEAFS FAN FOR A LONG LONG TIME

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 7:54 pm
by topher0805
Shaner wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 7:44 pm
Nothing but assumptions. You can't say his stats would be the same in Toronto that they were in Vancouver. Maybe the quality and quantity of the shots he faced in Vancouver are less than what he would have faced in Toronto and as such he would have allowed more goals.
You realize he played the first half of his career on a terrible team in Florida? Anyone who has followed his career closely will tell you that he plays better on bad teams. He thrives under a heavy workload.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 8:10 pm
by VCR
BornRuff wrote:
Jan 12th, 2013 7:14 pm
Are you implying that I am currently willing to give up Gardiner in a trade for Luongo? Because that would be incorrect.

Trades that involve the likes of Tyler Bozak and Mat Frattin make me feel better about the deal. If we were to part with Gardiner, I'd rather it be for something better.
Yeah, I should have omitted the word you bolded. But it's good to see you clarify your position on Gardiner when it comes to a Lu swap. Apparently that is the hold up previously as Gillis wanted Gardiner as part of the package.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 8:23 pm
by VCR
VCR wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 10:44 pm
well, i didn't need to google to know that would not make any difference at all other than making GM Nonis look like a temp worker. Leafs ownership, could fire or give GM Nonis an extension depending on how they grade his performance this season whether they put that title on him or not. :facepalm:
according to the hockey buzz leafs blogger he wrote the following:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=48328
Sportsnet's Doug Maclean reports that new Leafs GM Dave Nonis will be signed to a new three year contract.
That means Nonis realistically has two years to get his team into the Playoffs or he'll be replaced.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 8:55 pm
by Evil Baby
Looks like the Leaf have signed Franson once the lockout if officially over.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Once lockout is over, I expect TOR to announce a 1 year deal with defenceman Cody Franson. Likely for a shade over $1M. #tsn
Hopefully he is utilized more often this year.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 10:54 am
by nfnx
TSN wrote:The Scott Gomez era in Montreal appears to be at an end.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Canadiens have told Gomez he will not be a part of the team this season. Montreal will continue to pay Gomez for the season and his contract will count against the team's salary cap.

Gomez's salary for 2012-13 is $5.5 million but carries cap hit of $7.357 million (based on an 82-game schedule).

The team does not want to risk Gomez being injured before they can buyout his contract this summer.
ouch. lol that sucks for his ego and sucks for the team too... i get the reasoning behind it but its almost worth it to just let him play the first half of the season or something and see if he's worth it or can have a bounceback....

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 11:17 am
by nfnx
great interview w/ james duthie on TSN - burke states how he comes with the rolled up sleeves, cursing, etc, but he was a professional where it counted... terminations, etc.

again, i have a lot of respect for the guy since he went to rotman and gave a conference at U of T. also, lol at the beeping approx 10 min into it lol

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 11:23 am
by Evil Baby
nfnx wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 10:54 am
ouch. lol that sucks for his ego and sucks for the team too... i get the reasoning behind it but its almost worth it to just let him play the first half of the season or something and see if he's worth it or can have a bounceback....
If Gomez gets injured in that first half and goes on LTIR the Habs wont be able to buy him out next season. Same thing might happen to Redden.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 11:48 am
by squadz
Anyone know when tickets are available?

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 4:37 pm
by Skip2MyLou
squadz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 11:48 am
Anyone know when tickets are available?
Thursday.

Also open practice to the fans Monday and Tuesday at the MCC 10am - 12pm.
Posted on the @MapleLeafs twitter

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 4:57 pm
by don242
The sad thing is, tickets go and sale and they will still sell out despite the fact the team can't make the playoffs and despite the fact that the owners and players have withheld hockey for half a season. I can safely say I will not pay to go to a game until things improve and even then, with greedy players and even greedier owners I still have no interest in using my hard earned money to support them.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 5:01 pm
by VCR
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 11:23 am
If Gomez gets injured in that first half and goes on LTIR the Habs wont be able to buy him out next season. Same thing might happen to Redden.
gomez and (redden if the nyr does the same) AAV still applies to this year's cap i think.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 6:43 pm
by BornRuff
VCR wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 5:01 pm
gomez and (redden if the nyr does the same) AAV still applies to this year's cap i think.
Without question.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 7:36 pm
by VCR
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le7298981/

Canucks GM says Luongo’s big contract will not deter trade

VANCOUVER — The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 5:11 PM EST
Last updated Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 7:03 PM EST
“There’s always been interest, and there’s been a lot more interest than people wanted to recognize because (of) the presumption that the contract was onerous or difficult,” said Gillis. “(The difficulty of the contract) has never been mentioned to me by one team.

“I know some people like to make a big deal of that, but it’s a very friendly contract for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons is the new collective agreement. You can’t sign these types of (front-loaded) contracts (anymore) because they are favourable. So the contract’s not an issue.”
yeah, like "some people" in this thread .... lol.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 7:54 pm
by BornRuff
VCR wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 7:36 pm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le7298981/

Canucks GM says Luongo’s big contract will not deter trade

VANCOUVER — The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 5:11 PM EST
Last updated Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 7:03 PM EST

yeah, like "some people" in this thread .... lol.
Says the guy trying to get rid of him, ;)

Posted: Jan 13th, 2013 8:23 pm
by krash322
MaximDude wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 3:43 am
I've been wanting the Leafs to rebuild since the end of the 2003-04 season when it was clear that the Leafs didn't have enough to be more than an eternal middling team. But unfortunately that never happened.

But that aside, you make it sound like we gave up Crosby and Weber in the Kessel trade. Seguin looks like he's going to be a star and Hamilton and Knight we'll have to see. Of course it hurt to hand those players to Boston but its not the end of the world and we did get a very good goal scorer in return you know? This trade set us back no question, but it didn't kill the franchaise or something.
It didn't kill the franchise but it put us nowhere still. I think we can all agree that the team was awful before Burke. Let's say we didn't trade for Kessel, we would have finished in the bottom two in those first two season. There's no doubt in my mind this would have happened. So never mind that we lost Seguin and Hamilton, our odds of getting a higher pick would have increased with the last or second last place finish. Then think about the possibilities:

Hall/Nugent-Hopkins or Seguin/Nugent-Hopkins or Hall/Landeskog or Seguin/Landeskog

I think a Seguin/Landeskog combo would be a REALLY good building block for Leafs fan to look forward to. This would have been a strong likelihood, not just some fantasy, had we just not made a stupid move from the beginning. This alone should make the fans want to ask for Burke's head. I don't know how anyone in their right mind can argue that what I am describing would not have happened.