• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2018 6:56 am
Dec 26, 2003
942 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:04 am
Uh no, he named you three players that should've been drafted in that order, and Morgan is fourth. So us drafting him at the 5 slot was a win for us. Not sure why it's so hard to understand...
Exactly. The fact we made out with a player that plays 25 minutes a game in the weakest draft in years where a LOT of bad players never lived up to expectations/even made it to the NHL -- I think we made out pretty good. The guy drafted before Reilly -- Griffin Reinhart isn't even a regular in the NHL. Would you rather have him?

Also, Trouba and Lindholm are pretty close to Reilly. I'm sure scouts would say 50/50 or 60/40 to take one or the other. Only Forsberg is clear cut and 11 teams passed on him. Drafting can be a crapshoot sometimes.
Fido
Koodo
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7087 posts
946 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:56 pm
At 5 I expect a top pairing d man. You would draft him at 5 again?

From a points perspective yes his best hockey
haha on what planet do you think you'd get a Doughty or Hedman at #5? That would have to be an abnormally deep draft.

maybe at 3? If you're lucky and you have a McDavid or MAtthews as your #1 and #2, clearly ahead of any potential #1 defenseman.

#5-10 is all good, secondary, players, unless you simply get lucky (the majority aren't, obviously).

Yakupov went #1 that year. That alone should tell you plenty.

edit: If you wanna cry look at this draft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NHL_Entry_Draft

Pietrangelo went 1 ahead of Luke Schenn....and Karlsson 15th
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15795 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
a bunch of bad plays in that last 5 minutes and OT... that pass by Rielly was bad.. but what was worse was his OVER play on Seth Jones after the pass.. Rielly went far too much inside near the goalie so that it was easy for Jones to make that pass back inside... Rielly overskated it and it burned him...

Also, on the OT goal.. i dont really blame Nylander that much... it was the defencemen's fault.. the guy on the trail is who Nylander has.. and he was going up for that guy.. the defenceman should have stuck with Panarin...but both of them went to the same guy, leaving Panarin wide open....

shots were 13 to 1 prior to that goal with less than 5 min left in the 3rd... we couldnt close the deal and get that 3rd goal... Matthews missed half an open net earlier to make it 3-0... Bozak missed on a big breakaway in OT.... it happens... still got a point..

I know its only barely half way through the season..but it looks like we are basically going to try and hold on to the 3rd spot in the Division...Boston has the same points but 4 games in hand of us... thats probably 6 points in those 4 games.. so thats a 6 point lead on us... we have a 12 point lead over Detroit... but 3 games.. lets say they can get 4 points in those 3 games... thats an 8 point lead over them... so we are kind of sticking to this spot and going to lead to a first round playoffs against Boston..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17496 posts
1310 upvotes
Niagara Falls
grappos13 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:05 am
a bunch of bad plays in that last 5 minutes and OT... that pass by Rielly was bad.. but what was worse was his OVER play on Seth Jones after the pass.. Rielly went far too much inside near the goalie so that it was easy for Jones to make that pass back inside... Rielly overskated it and it burned him...

Also, on the OT goal.. i dont really blame Nylander that much... it was the defencemen's fault.. the guy on the trail is who Nylander has.. and he was going up for that guy.. the defenceman should have stuck with Panarin...but both of them went to the same guy, leaving Panarin wide open....

shots were 13 to 1 prior to that goal with less than 5 min left in the 3rd... we couldnt close the deal and get that 3rd goal... Matthews missed half an open net earlier to make it 3-0... Bozak missed on a big breakaway in OT.... it happens... still got a point..

I know its only barely half way through the season..but it looks like we are basically going to try and hold on to the 3rd spot in the Division...Boston has the same points but 4 games in hand of us... thats probably 6 points in those 4 games.. so thats a 6 point lead on us... we have a 12 point lead over Detroit... but 3 games.. lets say they can get 4 points in those 3 games... thats an 8 point lead over them... so we are kind of sticking to this spot and going to lead to a first round playoffs against Boston..
Toronto has gone through a pretty bad stretch and Boston has gone on a tear. Hoping for Toronto to make another good 10 game run and catch up to Boston but if not, just be properly prepared for the playoffs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7545 posts
1472 upvotes
Anyone notice that half the players on this team were drafted/ brought over by the previous regimes. Found that interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5659 posts
749 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:18 am
haha on what planet do you think you'd get a Doughty or Hedman at #5? That would have to be an abnormally deep draft.

maybe at 3? If you're lucky and you have a McDavid or MAtthews as your #1 and #2, clearly ahead of any potential #1 defenseman.

#5-10 is all good, secondary, players, unless you simply get lucky (the majority aren't, obviously).

Yakupov went #1 that year. That alone should tell you plenty.

edit: If you wanna cry look at this draft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NHL_Entry_Draft

Pietrangelo went 1 ahead of Luke Schenn....and Karlsson 15th
If you expect secondary players at 5-10 then that is exactly what your drafting department will get. Old regime is long gone
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1767 posts
302 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:18 am
If you expect secondary players at 5-10 then that is exactly what your drafting department will get. Old regime is long gone
Nobody is saying we were trying to get a secondary player. The point is that draft year was VERY weak and we picked the best player available at the 5th position.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1767 posts
302 upvotes
Primetyme wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:15 am
Exactly. The fact we made out with a player that plays 25 minutes a game in the weakest draft in years where a LOT of bad players never lived up to expectations/even made it to the NHL -- I think we made out pretty good. The guy drafted before Reilly -- Griffin Reinhart isn't even a regular in the NHL. Would you rather have him?

Also, Trouba and Lindholm are pretty close to Reilly. I'm sure scouts would say 50/50 or 60/40 to take one or the other. Only Forsberg is clear cut and 11 teams passed on him. Drafting can be a crapshoot sometimes.
Unfortunately, there are delusional fans out there that don't understand how the draft works. Compared to how other teams made out in the first round of Rielly's draft year, I think Leafs did exceptionally well.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17496 posts
1310 upvotes
Niagara Falls
What a joke loosing to freaken Ottawa. Someone needs to sit Rielly down and tell him to stop being an idiot near the end of the game. Just cost the Leafs another game. Sign. Also, my dislike of Bozak continues to rise.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5659 posts
749 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:26 pm
What a joke loosing to freaken Ottawa. Someone needs to sit Rielly down and tell him to stop being an idiot near the end of the game. Just cost the Leafs another game. Sign. Also, my dislike of Bozak continues to rise.
pinching 101
________

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1767 posts
302 upvotes
Bad pinch by Rielly, but bad follow up play by Hainsey as well. You don't fully commit to the guy with the puck like that on a three on one.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17496 posts
1310 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:26 am
Bad pinch by Rielly, but bad follow up play by Hainsey as well. You don't fully commit to the guy with the puck like that on a three on one.
Yeah, not sure what he was trying on that play.
Jul 5, 2004
22937 posts
2616 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:26 am
He should have at least laid out and forced a saucer pass. He made a weak ass attempt on that play. This team is so bad defensively.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5659 posts
749 upvotes
Dermott deserves a lot more ice time
________

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1767 posts
302 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:07 am
He should have at least laid out and forced a saucer pass. He made a weak ass attempt on that play. This team is so bad defensively.
Exactly, I think Hainsey's play was probably worst than Rielly's. At least Rielly's play was 50/50.
Baaaaaaaaa!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)