Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2017/18): Offense looks deadly...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 7:39 pm
Dec 26, 2003
768 posts
279 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:06 pm
I doubt he'll be bought out, my guess is he'll end up on Robida Island. Lou has some weird power over NHL players. Not entirely sure what he has on them.

I heard that the contract was front loaded, but I can't find any info on that.
Contract structure is like this:
Marleau: year 1) $8.5M 2) $6 mil. 3) $4.25

I doubt he'll be bought out as well, there isn't much of cap relief in doing so. Don't think they'll do it to a classy veteran, but this is Leaf land and a lot can happen in 3 years. For all we know he could become the next Larry Murphy and get driven out of town at that time forcing a buy out. They can't send him to the minors, but they can certainly kick him off the team.
Fido
Koodo
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3203 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
Patrick Marleau? Nobody saw this coming. This tells us where the team thinks it is heading. No where near Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2197 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
We overpaid for Marleau in terms of getting value for his production, I guess they brought him in to be more of a leader for the young kids. It's funny though as he's never won a Cup.

The Hainsey signing isn't horrible because it's only 2 years, and if needed they can probably get rid of him at the trade deadline to a team looking for an experienced dman like Carolina did to the pens.

I'm not a fan of the Hyman contract though, over $2M a year for 4 years to a scrub who looked better than he really is because he played on a line with Matthews. To put it in comparison the Golden Knights just signed Oscar Lindberg the day before for 2 years at $1.7M, and Lindberg should get more than Hyman if you ask me because a) he's a centre not a winger, and b) I'd say he has more upside/potential than Hyman. They're the same age, their numbers in the NHL thus far are similar, yet we signed him for more years and more money. It's not like it's gonna cripple us by any means at $2.25M, but still every bit counts in a cap world.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16555 posts
1000 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kramerz80 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:45 am
We overpaid for Marleau in terms of getting value for his production, I guess they brought him in to be more of a leader for the young kids. It's funny though as he's never won a Cup.

The Hainsey signing isn't horrible because it's only 2 years, and if needed they can probably get rid of him at the trade deadline to a team looking for an experienced dman like Carolina did to the pens.

I'm not a fan of the Hyman contract though, over $2M a year for 4 years to a scrub who looked better than he really is because he played on a line with Matthews. To put it in comparison the Golden Knights just signed Oscar Lindberg the day before for 2 years at $1.7M, and Lindberg should get more than Hyman if you ask me because a) he's a centre not a winger, and b) I'd say he has more upside/potential than Hyman. They're the same age, their numbers in the NHL thus far are similar, yet we signed him for more years and more money. It's not like it's gonna cripple us by any means at $2.25M, but still every bit counts in a cap world.
I feel the same way. I guess for the next 2 years it's not much of a concern but when the Leafs get 3 heavy contracts from Marner, Nylander and Mathhews they likely won't be able to afford to pay replaceable players that much money.
Dec 26, 2003
768 posts
279 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Marleau's is getting paid 1.5 million salary in his last year with a signing bonus of $3 million, but the cap hit is $6.5 million. In that last year they can trade him to Arizona or Las Vegas ( a smaller market team), so those teams can reach the salary cap floor of $55 million. Yes Marleau has a no trade clause but those things can be negotiated, so his contract has good value for those type of teams. It's similar to how Pavel Datsyuk was under contract with Arizona last year even though he was "retired". The other option is a buyout of that last year of Marleau's contract. Really it's no big deal about that 3rd year that fans are freaking out about -- there's a lot of flexibility.

The only thing about the Marleau contract is that it may keep them out of the 2018 free agent pool with John Tavares available. The top defenceman available is John Carlson, but I don't think either of them would fit. If you sign Tavares, then you get into cap trouble to pay Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. And I'm not sure it would be worth it to spend 6-7.5 million on a Carlson even with the Leafs need for defence.
Fido
Koodo
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
Primetyme wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:02 pm
Marleau's is getting paid 1.5 million salary in his last year with a signing bonus of $3 million, but the cap hit is $6.5 million. In that last year they can trade him to Arizona or Las Vegas ( a smaller market team), so those teams can reach the salary cap floor of $55 million. Yes Marleau has a no trade clause but those things can be negotiated, so his contract has good value for those type of teams. It's similar to how Pavel Datsyuk was under contract with Arizona last year even though he was "retired". The other option is a buyout of that last year of Marleau's contract. Really it's no big deal about that 3rd year that fans are freaking out about -- there's a lot of flexibility.

The only thing about the Marleau contract is that it may keep them out of the 2018 free agent pool with John Tavares available. The top defenceman available is John Carlson, but I don't think either of them would fit. If you sign Tavares, then you get into cap trouble to pay Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. And I'm not sure it would be worth it to spend 6-7.5 million on a Carlson even with the Leafs need for defence.
With Matthews...and likely either Marner or Nylander...no way they can also accommodate Tavares. Possibly with Matthews only....but doubt it.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3725 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
kramerz80 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:45 am

I'm not really a fan of the Marleau contract and I wish we could've gotten Thornton instead, but it is what it is. All we can do is hope Marleau pulls a Jagr and remains good as he ages. I really don't like the Hainsey contract and kinda wish we'd maybe put up a couple of extra million and sign Markov or something for a year. At least you can put him in your top 4 and he can provide more offense for you. Hyman isn't that bad as he's still a good penalty killer and is a workhorse that can be good on the 4th line. Perhaps slightly overpaid for how little offense he brings, but its not horrible though.

Primetyme wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:02 pm
I'm still betting that short of the Isles being a completely crap team, Tavares is probably going to resign and stay.
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:23 am
With Matthews...and likely either Marner or Nylander...no way they can also accommodate Tavares. Possibly with Matthews only....but doubt it.
The Leafs were willing to pay Stamkos almost 9 million a year for the next 7 years if he wanted to sign here so I don't know why we can't sign Tavares if he really wanted to come here and we really wanted him here. The Hawks have four players making 5.5 million or more and then Kane and Toews making 10.5 million each. If they can find a way to make it work, I don't see why we can't sign all three of Matthews, Marner and Nylander and also Tavares if he decided to come here.

Only Matthews probably even comes close to making Kane type of money assuming he becomes that good and both Nylander and Marner are probably closer to 5-7 million depending on how well they do. Anything more than that and that would mean both of them are playing amazing and we have three star/super star players on our team up front. At any rate this is all pointless talk anyways because as I said above Tavares probably stays with the Isles anyways or else even if he moves its probably not going to be with us as since when have the Leafs ever signed a star player in their prime to come here?
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Jul 29, 2006
620 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if Phil is coming to TO with the cup again?
....life needs more green lights.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10528 posts
569 upvotes
Scarborough
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 2:35 am
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joff ... ays-cheat/

Lupul calls out Leafs. I'm glad he's finally saying something. As much of a Leafs fan that I am, I hate how they've banished Lupes even though he can probably play still. I get why Leafs are doing it, but it really sucks for Lupul.
I seriously doubt a medical doctor would falsify records just so the Leafs can get cap relief. Also from the other side of the coin, Lupul could have easily filed a grievance and receive a second opinion about his medical health. He may be healthy enough to still live his life but he may no longer be healthy enough to play full-time contact NHL hockey.

Everyone made up Robidas island but he has gone out and said that he wasn't fully capable of playing anymore. Robidas has everyday struggles now from those leg injuries.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3755 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
first pre-season game tonite vs Ottawa @ 7:30!
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1161 posts
160 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 9:24 am
I seriously doubt a medical doctor would falsify records just so the Leafs can get cap relief. Also from the other side of the coin, Lupul could have easily filed a grievance and receive a second opinion about his medical health. He may be healthy enough to still live his life but he may no longer be healthy enough to play full-time contact NHL hockey.

Everyone made up Robidas island but he has gone out and said that he wasn't fully capable of playing anymore. Robidas has everyday struggles now from those leg injuries.
The doctors are employed by the Leafs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were instructed to be much more thorough and critical with Lupul's physical than any other player. Even Kadri was quoted last year in saying he thought Lupul's looked great until he was banished to the island.

And Robidas? I find it very convenient that he's landed a nice management position right after his contract ended. I'm sure there was a back room agreement between him and the Leafs 2 years ago.

But hey, I'm glad they did it because it benefited the Leafs. No one's going to call them out on it because every team wants to be able to use this tactic if they're ever want to bury a contract.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2197 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:01 pm
The doctors are employed by the Leafs, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were instructed to be much more thorough and critical with Lupul's physical than any other player. Even Kadri was quoted last year in saying he thought Lupul's looked great until he was banished to the island.

And Robidas? I find it very convenient that he's landed a nice management position right after his contract ended. I'm sure there was a back room agreement between him and the Leafs 2 years ago.

But hey, I'm glad they did it because it benefited the Leafs. No one's going to call them out on it because every team wants to be able to use this tactic if they're ever want to bury a contract.
Exactly my thoughts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)