Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2017/18): Offense looks deadly...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 11:52 pm
Jul 31, 2016
282 posts
153 upvotes
Didn't he break his tibia? Like a clean 100% snap break? He should have retired after that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:45 pm
That was the excuse... but maybe he just starts slow. Some players come back from injury and just play "normal"... so that excuse was a bit thin IMHO anyway...
imo blaming poor play on a “slow start” is more of a thin excuse than coming back from an injury. the season starts the same time for everyone. it’s their responsibility to be ready to play from game 1.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4518 posts
495 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:48 pm
imo blaming poor play on a “slow start” is more of a thin excuse than coming back from an injury. the season starts the same time for everyone. it’s their responsibility to be ready to play from game 1.
ha? they aren't robots
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:57 pm
ha? they aren't robots
what's more of a thin excuse? poor play because of "oh well, i'm just a slow starter" or because he missed training camp as a result of an injury?

ha...try to keep up.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4518 posts
495 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:14 pm
what's more of a thin excuse? poor play because of "oh well, i'm just a slow starter" or because he missed training camp as a result of an injury?

ha...try to keep up.
or maybe there was an injury that he's not revealing - been following the sport lately - "upper body"...etc. try to keep up
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:17 pm
or maybe there was an injury that he's not revealing - been following the sport lately - "upper body"...etc. try to keep up
we can throw in maybe's until the cows come home. maybe his cat fluffy died and he was in mourning. i was responding to the specific “thin excuse” argument of an injury and missing training camp vs “he’s just a slow starter".
once again, try to…
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5041 posts
939 upvotes
Whitby
That was a nice slap pass by Marner on the tying goal; the winner in OT really displayed his playmaking ability. Not many players pull up on that 3-2 to set the play as he did. If Marner can play with confidence like that the Leafs have another game breaker.
A lot of the issues with Marner's defensive zone play should have been directed to Bozak. Bozak plays too high in his zone, didn't get to loose pucks etc....cheats leaving early etc gambling his teammate would win puck battles regardless of the score. That made Marner come off his man, get out of position etc....it should be the opposite with centre battling for the puck down low and possibly a winger breaking early (if down a goal)...not Bozak. Marner isn't going to bump Kopitar off the puck down low. he needs to stay btw his man and the puck-looks bad when defensive zone coverage breaks down caused by linemates.
When JVR-Bozak-Marner were going well it was because Marners speed was making up for Bozaks poor defensive play, Marner was scooping up pucks below the goal line that should have been the centres.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4518 posts
495 upvotes
It's why you don't even consider trading Marner- players that can shoot the puck like that are hard to find especially in todays low scoring NHL
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4518 posts
495 upvotes
Andersen is just fine
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3748 posts
164 upvotes
Mississauga
Now THIS was a game where Andersen helped 'steal' a game for us. Definitely best game of the season for him and if he can keep this going consistently, Leafs are going to be doing well. :) Even though I keep saying I'm not completely sold on him, if he can keep this up he'll start making me become a believer soon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

And as much as I like seeing the Leafs score goals, its also nice to see that the Leafs defense and goaltending has been pretty good recently and they can win low scoring games too. And its also nice to see the Leafs can win even without Matthews.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6635 posts
783 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:21 pm
Now THIS was a game where Andersen helped 'steal' a game for us. Definitely best game of the season for him and if he can keep this going consistently, Leafs are going to be doing well. :) Even though I keep saying I'm not completely sold on him, if he can keep this up he'll start making me become a believer soon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

And as much as I like seeing the Leafs score goals, its also nice to see that the Leafs defense and goaltending has been pretty good recently and they can win low scoring games too. And its also nice to see the Leafs can win even without Matthews.
technically this is the 2nd game he stole. he's had another shutout. If you expect him to play like this going forward, you'll be disappointed since this is peak goaltending (not even Price is as good ALL the time). That said, dont forget he sucks in October, based on last year's history, and picks it up in November going forward.

2 players I'm not "iffy" on are Matthews and Andersen. Not that Andersen's as good, but the guy just recovers from his bad season starts, for seemingly, 2 years in a row now.

I'm more glad Nylander found the net finally. 12 games no goal?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15674 posts
661 upvotes
Stouffville
Andersen is on a role.... last 7 games, 2.2 GGA and 0.935 Save Percentage.. and that even includes the 6 goal game against STL...

Glad Nylander got off the hump today... but there is a LOT of love for Nylander vs. Marner it seems... Marner was doing OK those first 6-7 games.. not great, not bad but OK... but he gets shifted down and so much media backlash against him... how Leafs should trade him, etc. etc... however Nylander hasnt played well for the last 10+ games (not just goals and points.. in general not that great) and there is ZERO talk or backlash on him...
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3748 posts
164 upvotes
Mississauga
Buggy166 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:25 pm
technically this is the 2nd game he stole. he's had another shutout. If you expect him to play like this going forward, you'll be disappointed since this is peak goaltending (not even Price is as good ALL the time). That said, dont forget he sucks in October, based on last year's history, and picks it up in November going forward.

2 players I'm not "iffy" on are Matthews and Andersen. Not that Andersen's as good, but the guy just recovers from his bad season starts, for seemingly, 2 years in a row now.

I'm more glad Nylander found the net finally. 12 games no goal?
I'd say this shutout was more impressive than his last one, but that's just my opinion. And YES if Andersen wants to be considered an elite goalie then he should be able to play like last night on a consistent basis for most of the season if not for several seasons because that's what elite goalies do. And that's why Price and Bobrovsky are considered 'elite', well not Price this year but in previous years when he's been amazing and deserves all the praise he's gotten.

That doesn't mean Andersen isn't allowed bad games, but he should be having more good ones than bad ones and only then can he be considered a top goalie in the league. Sure having better defensive play in front of him helps alot, but Andersen should still be a difference maker regardless and be able to bail his team out when needed AND NOT letting in too many soft goals that kill the team.

grappos13 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 3:02 am
Andersen is on a role.... last 7 games, 2.2 GGA and 0.935 Save Percentage.. and that even includes the 6 goal game against STL...

Glad Nylander got off the hump today... but there is a LOT of love for Nylander vs. Marner it seems... Marner was doing OK those first 6-7 games.. not great, not bad but OK... but he gets shifted down and so much media backlash against him... how Leafs should trade him, etc. etc... however Nylander hasnt played well for the last 10+ games (not just goals and points.. in general not that great) and there is ZERO talk or backlash on him...
This is pretty much an exact mirror of last year when Nylander wasn't doing so well initially and he got demoted to the 4th line and people were talking about moving him for a top Dman etc. I think this is simply a case of fans and some media for that matter being too impatient and fickle and not being able to look at the long term and big picture where it takes time for young players to become really good consistently. Not every young player can come out of the gate being amazing and be able to keep being great for the entire season. The backlash against players is simply how the internet age is like these days where everything is analysed to the nth degree and everyone can immediately give their opinion on things without looking at the larger picture.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Jun 14, 2017
232 posts
202 upvotes
Check this out. My Friend and his son made the leafs Instragram! LOL