Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2017/18): Offense looks deadly...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 11:48 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16953 posts
1153 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Well, I was on an absolute high with the Leafs after these last two games but after finding out MLSE is a signatory to try and decide what content I'm allowed to use on the Internet I'm right pissed off. Stay the F out of the politics and just run the damn sports teams.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4879 posts
526 upvotes
Dermott and Holl
ask me about my Crypto Currency Whatsapp group

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4879 posts
526 upvotes
Reilly is not yet good enough to pinch - especially this late in the game. Stay back and take care of your end

...when was the last time a goalie was named captain?

Sep 12, 2017
38 posts
7 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 10:13 pm
Reilly is not yet good enough to pinch - especially this late in the game. Stay back and take care of your end

Luongo in Vancouver?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6855 posts
839 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 10:13 pm

Andersen would make a bad captain. He's extremely introvert and quiet. Thats why the media picked up on him calling out the team. He usually never says anything.

Captains arent just "the best player". They need to be the ones to talk to the refs in all major situations and coordinate both attack and defense. Whens the last time you saw a goalie go up the ice for an offensive face-off and chat with the refs before they drop the puck?

Luongo as a captain was just as bad of a choice. If nothing was happening next to him, he couldn't get the low down on situations happening in the opposing zone.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4879 posts
526 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:12 am
Andersen would make a bad captain. He's extremely introvert and quiet. Thats why the media picked up on him calling out the team. He usually never says anything.

Captains arent just "the best player". They need to be the ones to talk to the refs in all major situations and coordinate both attack and defense. Whens the last time you saw a goalie go up the ice for an offensive face-off and chat with the refs before they drop the puck?

Luongo as a captain was just as bad of a choice. If nothing was happening next to him, he couldn't get the low down on situations happening in the opposing zone.
What? introvert ? Seriously, how do you know that? The guy is cool, calm and collective - exactly what one would want in a captain - the fact that he plays in goal is separate matter, tradition...etc. I mean it probably won't happen but not for the reasons that you mention. Many teams don't even have a captain including the Leafs and they are getting by just fine so It matters little if the C is in net or is a skater. Talk to refs? A's can do that, veteran players can do that as well.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7083 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
having a goalie as a captain is moronic
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1518 posts
241 upvotes
Goalies should not be captain. It didn't work in Vancouver, and it won't work here. And Lou and Shanny are old school (which I like), so you can bet the farm the captaincy will go to a skater. And I'm not sure why we're debating this, it's crystal clear that it will be Matthews.

And I agree with Buggy166. Based on interviews he's given, he comes off as extremely dull and kind of an introvert, and I turn off the radio when he's on. He's calm and collected when he's in net but that demeanor does not translate to his off ice personality.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6855 posts
839 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:48 pm
And I agree with Buggy166. Based on interviews he's given, he comes off as extremely dull and kind of an introvert, and I turn off the radio when he's on. He's calm and collected when he's in net but that demeanor does not translate to his off ice personality.
the other things too is a captain has to handle the most media out of any other player.

have you seen Nylander talk for example? or Mitch? They're still in their teen years and repeat themselves every sentence. Compare that to JvR or a more rare Marleau interview.

Toronto wont have a captain until Matthews signs his 8 year extension. 1-2 seasons from now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:42 pm
having a goalie as a captain is moronic
Exactly, it's totally inefficient, the guy's not freely skating around and so cannot see everything happening.

Anyway, are we dreaming as Leafs fans? Managers from other teams are using them guide sticks and thinking of them as a higher-level team/Cup contender/saying they're stacked, etc. If this is a dream don't wake me up lol.

Btw, what are the probable PO matchups? Who will the Leafs have a better chance against in order to get to the 2nd round?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
Buggy166 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:27 pm
the other things too is a captain has to handle the most media out of any other player.

have you seen Nylander talk for example? or Mitch? They're still in their teen years and repeat themselves every sentence. Compare that to JvR or a more rare Marleau interview.

Toronto wont have a captain until Matthews signs his 8 year extension. 1-2 seasons from now.
I'm glad this Mgt is very mature and taking their time to appoint the C, not that mess giving to Phaneuf for no good reason. Glad those idiots Nonis/Carlyle are long gone. Can never forgive them for the Reimer/Bernier mess. Look at Nonis' record, virtually useless:
https://mapleleafsnation.com/2017/02/28 ... ave-nonis/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7083 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:35 pm
Exactly, it's totally inefficient, the guy's not freely skating around and so cannot see everything happening.

Anyway, are we dreaming as Leafs fans? Managers from other teams are using them guide sticks and thinking of them as a higher-level team/Cup contender/saying they're stacked, etc. If this is a dream don't wake me up lol.

Btw, what are the probable PO matchups? Who will the Leafs have a better chance against in order to get to the 2nd round?
right now we would be playing the bruins. if the b's catch the lightning for top spot then the bolts would be our opponent. both tough first round match-ups...pick your poison. bruins have been on fire for quite awhile but you never know who will finish off the year on a high.

our only hope to avoid both in the first round would be to pass both. highly unlikely considering they both have games in hand and both would have to tank pretty badly.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7960 posts
1143 upvotes
兩最大
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:54 pm
right now we would be playing the bruins. if the b's catch the lightning for top spot then the bolts would be our opponent. both tough first round match-ups...pick your poison. bruins have been on fire for quite awhile but you never know who will finish off the year on a high.

our only hope to avoid both in the first round would be to pass both. highly unlikely considering they both have games in hand and both would have to tank pretty badly.
If the Leafs somehow finish first, does that mean they play Carolina? How's that matchup?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7083 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:00 pm
If the Leafs somehow finish first, does that mean they play Carolina? How's that matchup?
if the canes finish as the the bottom wild card and we get top spot in the conference, which would be likely if did somehow manage to finish first in our division, then they would be our opponent. much better match-up than the bruins or lightning.