Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:57 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
BongoBong wrote: Sounds like identity theft/someone using his cards fraudulently not that he can't pay the bills.
Ooo fair enough. I hadn't actually considered that. My bad.
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
Carlyle didn't really do a great job. I get the you can only do so much with this roster (there's a lot to critique when it comes to Nonis, maybe more than Carlyle).

I would say things have definitely improved this year, though I believe it has a lot more to do with Shanahan/Dubas forcing Carlyle not to dress Orr/McClaren than Carlyle's coaching.

My biggest complaint is how much Carlyle uses Bozak. Bozak doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of ice team he gets, let alone being 1st line center. He used to be praised for his faceoff abilities (55%+) which helped the possession numbers somewhat but (I think) he's under 50% this season. He's not a great passer. His goals this year have all been pretty much from sitting in the slot and waiting for the perfect pass or a rebound. He's honestly just a slightly better Jay McClement. Kadri, Holland and even Santorelli are all more deserving of this ice time.

Regarding the defense, I honestly don't think there's much Carlyle can do. Besides Polak (and Holzer to some extent), no one has an above average defensive game. Sure, Phaneuf is decent at punishing people with crosschecks and holding someone against the boards but he is rarely positionally sound, and horrible at deflecting passes or lifting sticks.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Like Mike Yeo in Minnesota, Carlyle managed to get his team to overachieve on many nights as shown with their inconsistencies. One night, they could play well against the best teams. Another night, they play like the Oilers.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6255 upvotes
BenK wrote: Carlyle didn't really do a great job. I get the you can only do so much with this roster (there's a lot to critique when it comes to Nonis, maybe more than Carlyle).

I would say things have definitely improved this year, though I believe it has a lot more to do with Shanahan/Dubas forcing Carlyle not to dress Orr/McClaren than Carlyle's coaching.

My biggest complaint is how much Carlyle uses Bozak. Bozak doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of ice team he gets, let alone being 1st line center. He used to be praised for his faceoff abilities (55%+) which helped the possession numbers somewhat but (I think) he's under 50% this season. He's not a great passer. His goals this year have all been pretty much from sitting in the slot and waiting for the perfect pass or a rebound. He's honestly just a slightly better Jay McClement. Kadri, Holland and even Santorelli are all more deserving of this ice time.

Regarding the defense, I honestly don't think there's much Carlyle can do. Besides Polak (and Holzer to some extent), no one has an above average defensive game. Sure, Phaneuf is decent at punishing people with crosschecks and holding someone against the boards but he is rarely positionally sound, and horrible at deflecting passes or lifting sticks.
Improved. Where? They had the same number of points after 41 games last year. There defense has given up more goals than at this point a year ago. They are still giving up loads of shots.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Improved. Where? They had the same number of points after 41 games last year. There defense has given up more goals than at this point a year ago. They are still giving up loads of shots.
as the post said, nothing you can do about defense.

-we've scored more goals than we did last year through 41 games.
-the PK is above league average this year, wasn't last year.
-the team is drawing more penalties.

all this mostly because we have improved depth up front.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
A lot of lucky goals tonight. I'm sure the Leafs aren't complaining though.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Evil Baby wrote: A lot of lucky goals tonight. I'm sure the Leafs aren't complaining though.
Sergei Bobrovsky decided to take the night off after signing a $29.7 million contract.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6255 upvotes
Haz wrote: Sergei Bobrovsky decided to take the night off after signing a $29.7 million contract.
Actually he played pretty well, two of the goals went in on his players. Had some big stops throughout.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Haz wrote: Sergei Bobrovsky decided to take the night off after signing a $29.7 million contract.
Leafs got a couple of lucky ones and I don't think Bobrovsky could be faulted on any of the goals. Instead of crediting the team on a good game you say the other teams goalie took a night off.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
Yup, we got a few free goals thanks to redirections off defensemens, but overall Bobrovsky is still one hell of a goalie. I can't believe Philly gave him up for scraps.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
^ well, to be fair, Bobrovsky only put up about a .907 save percentage in 75 starts for Philly.. not elite...however, right now, Bobrovsky has digressed... .932 SV% in shortened season, .923 SV% last year, and now a .915 SV% this season.. hopefully it doesnt get any lower for Columbus sake, because right now, he is in the middle of the group for goalie SV% this season, at around 20th for goalies with 15 or more games started.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6255 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Leafs got a couple of lucky ones and I don't think Bobrovsky could be faulted on any of the goals. Instead of crediting the team on a good game you say the other teams goalie took a night off.
Yup. Would be just like saying Bernier had an awful game on Wednesday, when he let in 5. Most of the goals for the Caps were of the perfect shot variety and one went of Franson.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
Nylander recalled, I think he'll play for the Marlies. No point burning off a year of his ELC (over 9 games in the NHL). I might go watch a few Marlies games, tickets are cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Jimboski wrote: Looks like getting rid of Carlyle has done us well also....
Shots on net way down :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Jimboski wrote: It's a drastic amount too, i'm amazed. Now we need to learn how to score goals again haha.
That's the tradeoff. Bring everybody down for coverage and there is nobody available for the rush, which is the style of game the Leafs are accustomed to. It would be nice for them to get used to the d zone coverage and work out from there.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
Evil Baby wrote: That's the tradeoff. Bring everybody down for coverage and there is nobody available for the rush, which is the style of game the Leafs are accustomed to. It would be nice for them to get used to the d zone coverage and work out from there.
I rather they lose games without scoring any goals, than losing by blow out. Look at the L.A Kings they frequently play tight checking games that end up in a 1 goal differential. Thats how you sustain winning in this league.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ouch, two penalties on one play. That's too bad.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)