Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 7:26 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
NEW YORK (CP) - Forward Steve Sullivan of the Nashville Predators is the NHL's offensive player of the week after scoring four goals and adding three assists in three wins to help keep his team's perfect record intact.

Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe is the defensive player of the week after an offensive explosion saw him collect eight points (1-7) in four games.

Sullivan was tied for the NHL lead with 10 points (4-6) before Monday's games. The 5-0-0 Predators won all three road games last week.

The 31-year-old native of Timmins, Ont., tallied three points (1-2), all in the third period, in the Predators' 5-4 comeback victory at Colorado last Wednesday and had three more points (2-1) in a 5-4 shootout win at Phoenix on Thursday. He finished the week with one goal in a 4-1 victory at St. Louis on Saturday.

Also considered for the offensive award were Philadelphia Flyers winger Simon Gagne (four goals, three assists) in three games, Maple Leafs winger Jeff O'Neill (4-3 in four games) and Carolina Hurricanes centre Rod Brind'Amour (3-2 in two games).

McCabe recorded three points (1-2) in a 6-5 shootout loss to the Ottawa Senators last Monday, tallied one assist in a 4-2 victory against the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday and had four assists in a 9-1 rout at Atlanta on Friday. McCabe finished the week by logging a game-high 26:09 in ice time as the Maple Leafs defeated the Montreal Canadiens 3-2 at Bell Centre on Saturday.

Also considered were defencemen John-Michael Liles of the Colorado Avalanche (2-4 in three games), Toronto's Tomas Kaberle (0-6 in four games) and Steve Eminger of the Washington Capitals (2-3 in four games)
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1893 posts
11 upvotes
Everyone seems to be playing well, with the exception of Berg and Czer. I practically SCREAM at the TV everytime Berg is has the puck.

Putting Sundin with Czer might work to get him going. We all know he can score.

KIDs line would look good, but that might jeopardize some depth. Wellwood and Lindros seem to be playing well with eachother with Domi protecting their butts. Stajan and Steen are a pretty good duo so it doesnt matter whether wilm or kilger is with them. It might work out better having those 2 lines.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
[quote="thelefteyeguy"]non-leaf news:

:lol: dirty!

TORONTO (AP)
vero95: :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
officially,

Canuck, and Senator fans cannot say the leafs are dirty without being hypocrites.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
thelefteyeguy wrote:officially,

Canuck, and Senator fans cannot say the leafs are dirty without being hypocrites.
Neither can the Thrashers. ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1445 posts
6 upvotes

Why is that?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
mallik wrote:Why is that?
Did you miss his post about Havlat getting suspended 5 games for kicking?

And we shouldn't have to explain the Vancouver reference.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes

Incorrect if fans of those teams acknowledge the dirty players on their teams.
vero95: :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
mallik wrote:Why is that?
van=bert ;)
ott=havlat (just been cast on the On-ice version of Nutcracker again since he did such a great job a few years ago)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1445 posts
6 upvotes
Carnage wrote:Did you miss his post about Havlat getting suspended 5 games for kicking?

And we shouldn't have to explain the Vancouver reference.
Oh, I didn't see the previous page.

Pretty much every team has a "dirty" player or two, so fans of most teams can't really call another team dirty. Atlanta might qualify, but that was more a result of the bonehead coach.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Carnage wrote:Neither can the Thrashers. ;)
Are there Thrasher fans? lol
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
This just tells you how much NHL wants offense. McCabe has been awesome past week and a bit... but only offensively. He has the stats to show for. Defensively, numbers may not show, but he's made more eye-cringing plays than I care to remember over that stretch as well. Most of the times those didn't cost him, and the Leafs. But defensively, he's not that great.

But NHL and most fans care about stats and that' what count
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
I dunno if havlat is a dirty player, more of a spaz. He seems to just lose it and do stupid crap like that, the cairns kick was the same. Still not to be tolerated, though.

I'm suprised Gill didn't just pick him up and pound the holy hell out of him right there..
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2005
1227 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
NDman wrote:This just tells you how much NHL wants offense. McCabe has been awesome past week and a bit... but only offensively. He has the stats to show for. Defensively, numbers may not show, but he's made more eye-cringing plays than I care to remember over that stretch as well. Most of the times those didn't cost him, and the Leafs. But defensively, he's not that great.

But NHL and most fans care about stats and that' what count
what's wrong with rewarding an offensive defenseman? i have seen him make a couple mistakes but he more than makes up for them for his offense, especially considering the amount of ice time he and kaberle get.

atleast when mccabe is on the ice, i feel a bit safe as opposed to someone like berg or belak where i just hope they don't screw up.

by the way, i was lookin at the stats and mccabe was +22 and had 53 points in the 2003/2004 season...pretty impressive...
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
othy wrote:I dunno if havlat is a dirty player, more of a spaz. He seems to just lose it and do stupid crap like that, the cairns kick was the same. Still not to be tolerated, though.

I'm suprised Gill didn't just pick him up and pound the holy hell out of him right there..
Havlat is one of the dirtiest players in the league.
He is constantly throwing knee on knees, he often slashes people in dangerous areas of their bodies, he's been seen kicking people on at least two occasions, and he once almost two handed Domi in the face.

Domi was kicking the crap out of someone on the Sens and Havlat came around with two hands on the end of his stick like it was a baseball bat, he raised it and I thought he was going to kill Domi, but I guess he changed his mind at the last second.

Havlat needs to be Bertuzzi'd, that's what I think.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Shaner wrote: Domi was kicking the crap out of someone on the Sens and Havlat came around with two hands on the end of his stick like it was a baseball bat, he raised it and I thought he was going to kill Domi, but I guess he changed his mind at the last second.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Alffridson? I can remember clearly him doing what you descrived. Starting an overhead chop and either missing or stopping himself last second.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Carnage wrote:Are you sure you're not thinking of Alffridson? I can remember clearly him doing what you descrived. Starting an overhead chop and either missing or stopping himself last second.
Alfy the clown did it as well. Both are dirty players!
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
damn the Toronto media sucks. One day it's this and the next day it's that.

Globe and Mail:
Toronto -- While Mats Sundin is still not expected to undergo surgery to repair his broken left orbital bone, he now has to worry about the possibility of surgery to repair the retina in his left eye. Retinal surgeon Rob Devenyi checked the Toronto Maple Leafs' captain yesterday and his vision in that left eye is still blurry. If the vision does not improve soon, he may need surgery, although no timetable has been established. Doctors continue to monitor the situation. Sundin's orbital bone was broken when he was struck in the face by a puck in a game against Ottawa on Oct. 5. He is expected to miss the full six weeks forecast when he was initially injured. He will have further tests on his eye this week.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

blexann