• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:03 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON

Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

:razz: will we ever see the cup going down Yonge Street?
Last edited by thelefteyeguy on Nov 1st, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 46 times in total.
52040 replies
Aug 30, 2003
384 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
This is gonna be interesting!
Who likes short shorts? I like short shorts!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
I surely hope they don't move on Allison and/or Lindross. Unless they are willing to play for the minimum salary.

They're both one hit away from retirment.

Nolan also I'd expect to get bought out. Too much money for a player who won't play when it counts.

The rest is a crap shoot. There's way too many scenarios that could play out.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
more info on the Nolan's situation....this could be disasterous

Nolan could bring Leafs to their knees

Buyout could cost almost $12 million
Club at odds with winger over injury

KEN CAMPBELL
SPORTS REPORTER

The cost of relieving the Maple Leafs' payroll of Owen Nolan was always going to be high, but now it could go up from $3.8 million (all figures U.S.) to nearly a whopping $12 million.

And what could make matters worse from a Leaf perspective is that they might not have any choice in the matter if they want to create room under the NHL's newly formed salary cap.

Nolan, who injured his right knee late in 2004, is scheduled to undergo surgery Tuesday in Cleveland. Terms of the collective bargaining agreement allows teams to buy players out of their contracts at two-thirds of their value without it counting against this season's salary cap. But there is also a provision that says a player can turn down the buyout if he is injured and Nolan's agent, J.P. Barry, is prepared to do just that.

"It's disappointing to Owen that it has taken this long to identify a problem he has been having over the last six or seven months," Barry said yesterday.

Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson, who fired much of his medical staff this summer, could not be reached for comment.

If the Leafs attempt to buy out Nolan at two-thirds of his $5.6 million salary for this season
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I hope they get some good D! Gonchar and Niedermayer are available.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
As much as I dont want to see Roberts go...i would rather have ONeil at the present time.

no one has more grit than Roberts but Roberts isnt line 1 or 2 material anymore. If the leafs offer him 3rd line salary...and he doesnt take it...well I will wish Roberts luck.

btw if Roberts left and went to the Sens...he could kiss his personal trainer business in Toronto goodbye...he would royally piss off Leaf Nation.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
Nolan has been overhyped and often injured from day 1 as leaf. He's had one decent contract year in San Jose where he's received his currently salary.

The Leafs knew they were getting an injury proned player and yet they still bought in..

Out - Nolan and Belfour as well. Not too many teams in the hunt for a 40 yr old goalie especially when guys like Khabibulin are avail.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
26 upvotes
Tucker's a Leaf, I'm happy.
I want them to add Scott Niedermayer. He's my favorite D-man and I always draft him high (certainly first defender) when I play console games :cool:
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
tkl wrote:Nolan has been overhyped and often injured from day 1 as leaf. He's had one decent contract year in San Jose where he's received his currently salary.

The Leafs knew they were getting an injury proned player and yet they still bought in..

Out - Nolan and Belfour as well. Not too many teams in the hunt for a 40 yr old goalie especially when guys like Khabibulin are avail.

Khabibulin is available...but at what price? He will not be cheap. Having won a cup, his only need is money.

Given the chance I would go for Biron.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
This is gonna be a very inetresting off season. Teams and players are still figuring out the market price. I reckon there'l be a lot of pissed off players with the lowball offers.

As for the goalie situation, the 'Bulin wall is gonna be too expensive, I think. Is Biron a FA too? He's intriguing but only if the Leafs figured what to do with Belfour first
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Great $12 million for a player who might not play again(cause who's going to pay Nolan the amount he'll want?).
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Biron is a restricted free agent...Leafs will need to see what happens in 5 days. If he's not signed, a lot of teams would be very interested in Biron.

Alexei Zhitnik is an UFA...i'd like to see the Leafs make a go for him if Niedermayer stays with NJD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
thelefteyeguy wrote: Alexei Zhitnik is an UFA...i'd like to see the Leafs make a go for him if Niedermayer stays with NJD
Zhitnik has been involved in Toronto trade rumours for quite awhile, so it might be somewhat likely.

There's so many UFA's out there that there are thousands of combinations we could go with.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottawa would take Nieuwy over Roberts.

Also, Roberts has business interests here....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Well at least with the new cap th Leafs will have lots of money to eat contracts with.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Only 50 mins to go...

lets hope the Leafs arent the first ones to be announced :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
My wishlist for players for the leafs to get:

3) Yushkevich. Solid D-man, likes the city, bring him back!

2) Cujo - I miss that guy!

1) Niedermayer - Best skater in the league today.. Watch him go!

Honorable mentions to Glen Murray to fill nolan's role and Naslund.. Imagine Naslund and Sundin! Yowza..

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

blexann, Todd96srv