Leafs Talk (2018/19): Hype train...on aboard

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 9:07 am
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3591 posts
211 upvotes
Georgetown
Signing Tavares was a no brainer. You almost never have a chance to get a star player for nothing - they gave up no assets other than the salary. If they end up top heavy they can trade someone and get a good return. Heck... they could flip Tavares and end up way ahead... all giving up nothing (assuming no no-trade clause)... the point is simply that they have another star asset to use without giving up anything.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6096 posts
984 upvotes
Button? enough said, agree with @Tiberious
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3591 posts
211 upvotes
Georgetown
For those who didn't see the news... both McElhinney and Pickard were claimed off waivers. Other goalie depth has gone from strength to questionable. Let's just hope Sparks picks up where he was last season so the Leafs backup situation is solid. The Marlies now have... Kasimir Kaskisuo.......
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7755 posts
1588 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:40 pm
Now this article really throws a nifty wrench into the Nylander situation. At this point, it seems like Dubas may be inclined to let this drag out until the Dec 1 deadline... and so might Nylander! It could be a win-win... of sorts.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/pu ... ailsignout
That's odd. Because Elliote Friedman said that happens today at 5 pm and that may be the reason for the wait, would be a brilliant move by the GM.
I personally would tend to put more weight into what Freidman said.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3591 posts
211 upvotes
Georgetown
bobcat99 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 4:56 pm
That's odd. Because Elliote Friedman said that happens today at 5 pm and that may be the reason for the wait, would be a brilliant move by the GM.
I personally would tend to put more weight into what Freidman said.
I don't have personal knowledge of the mechanics of the calculation involved. The article made it sound like waiting longer to sign might shift more of the money to this year? Who knows...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6096 posts
984 upvotes
lol team is expected to win, so quiet here.
________

Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4562 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:32 pm
felt like leafs didnt deserve the win. Habs outplayed us most of the time
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6096 posts
984 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:43 pm
felt like leafs didnt deserve the win. Habs outplayed us most of the time
True but good teams find a way to win. We did that today.
________

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1902 posts
334 upvotes
Habs remind me of the Leafs when we were tanking a few years ago. Always worked hard, lots of shots, but didn't have the skilled players that could finish and end up losing the game. I still think Habs will be at the bottom of the league.

Leafs definitely need to play better, but a win is a win.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3920 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 12:02 am
Habs remind me of the Leafs when we were tanking a few years ago. Always worked hard, lots of shots, but didn't have the skilled players that could finish and end up losing the game. I still think Habs will be at the bottom of the league.

Leafs definitely need to play better, but a win is a win.
Leafs didn't play their best, but this is the first game of the season so to me its not a big deal. If its 25 games in and they're still playing this way then we should be concerned. Let the team get settled in and start gelling and then they should be fine. And also our defense didn't look to be too bad tonight even though they gave up alot of shots, most of them seemed like routine saves for Andersen.

All in all I'm glad hockey is back and it will be fun to follow the Leafs and watch them hopefully get better and better throughout the season. :)

Edit: Lets hope Spark's preseason is nothing and that he'll be fine as a backup. I would've preferred to keep Pickard and McBackup over him, but I guess after so many years Dubas felt Sparks deserved a shot to prove that he can play in the NHL.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Aug 16, 2017
702 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
not to mention Price played great too, amazing saves to be honest.

Leafs were kinda sloppy with the puck and had too many give-aways. But a good team finds a way to win and they did that. I'ts the first game of the season so lots of upside going forward.

So happy for Tavares.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7218 posts
1016 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:32 pm
i was busy taking a shower and going to sleep and now work, so being on the the forums after the game wasnt exactly on my mind, nor i think most peoples lol

cant say much about the game. Its clear the 3 centers are the backbone of the team now. The elite guys did what they are expected to do. The rest of the team, not so much.

I hope this team doesnt turn into Edmonton 2.0 with highly paid players and subpar cheap teammates