• Oct 12th, 2018 9:07 am
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3920 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 10:22 pm
almost lost to the Habs as well, which on paper should be significantly inferior to the leafs
On paper but that's why you play the games and the Habs beat up on the Pens tonight and the Jets another Cup favorite got crapped on too by the Stars.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4562 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
MaximDude wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 10:54 pm
On paper but that's why you play the games and the Habs beat up on the Pens tonight and the Jets another Cup favorite got crapped on too by the Stars.
maybe leafs can't even make the playoffs
Aug 22, 2010
116 posts
37 upvotes
Their run and gun game works when they outscore the other team. Defence is awful.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6096 posts
984 upvotes
we are done.
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1848 posts
466 upvotes
Woodbridge
iamskyhigh wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 9:52 pm
Andersen suxs. Leafs won’t win the cup with this scrub.
I mean, if the Cup finals was played in October I'd agree with you.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1902 posts
334 upvotes
The overall defensive coverage by forwards and defense have been horrible again.

But the big boys continue to show up.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3788 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
Yikes. Andersen looked terrible last night, and Sparks craps the bed tonight. They need a veteran defensive presence who can step up and calm them down when things start to get away from them like they did at the end of the third tonight. It turned into a freaking All-Star game shoot-out, but thank goodness our stars came out on top. Don't think we need Willy back, but if there's a scenario where they sign him and then flip him for a defense asset, I would listen.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3920 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
Not going to blame Sparks for all of those goals, but I'll say it again that Sparks doesn't really make me feel confident that he'll stop pucks consistently when he's playing. That's how I feel about Andersen too, but Sparks is like 5-10x worse than him. :(

Good to see our offense come through and get us the win at least!
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7218 posts
1016 upvotes
I get that Mac was the older goalie and Sparks won goalie of the year in AHL but this sucks. Mac was a lot more calm in net and that experience doesnt come fast. It”ll be 3+ years before Sparks gets anywhere near that, in a backup role.

The worst part is backups are meant to be cold goalies with few starts, and still expected to do as well as a starter. Sparks hasnt really gone through any of that yet.

Early games still. Wont judge till we reach 20 but imo its exactly as expected. Great O, but will lose lots of games due to subpar Dmen. You could see it on Tavares’ face in the post game interview. He knows if they dont fix that back end, theyre not going anywhere. Hopefully they pick it up slowly, but its the same d-core as last year’s. In 3 games they havent won 1 in regulation. Maybe 4th time’s the charm.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2386 posts
453 upvotes
GTA
MaximDude wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 10:00 pm
I'd rather keep Nylander and trade Gardiner and give Dermott his spot. Gards is addition by subtraction. As for Andersen I've said all along that he's not elite and he's proving it yet again. Should've kept McBackup or Pickard because I'm not all that confident about Sparks if Freddie is playing bad or is injured.
We don't have the cap space for an "elite" goalie. Andersen will be fine, he's never been our problem.

As for Sparks, that was a scary sight to see and hopefully not a sign of things to come.
Oct 27, 2013
204 posts
54 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Make a decision on Willy already. When checking becomes tight in playoffs I’d like a good D-man.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2386 posts
453 upvotes
GTA
newby1983 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:24 pm
Make a decision on Willy already. When checking becomes tight in playoffs I’d like a good D-man.
The longer he waits the worse for him IMO. We're scoring in droves and Kapanen can easily take his spot on the Matthews line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7218 posts
1016 upvotes
newby1983 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:24 pm

my guess is they already have a deal but are waiting until December for financial reasons. Leafs offer is 6ish mil, Nylander wants 8, they'll sign for 7..but in december. Just what Id do, and since they're not even taking calls on him, I'd say thats the idea behind whats happening now.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1902 posts
334 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 10:46 am
my guess is they already have a deal but are waiting until December for financial reasons. Leafs offer is 6ish mil, Nylander wants 8, they'll sign for 7..but in december. Just what Id do, and since they're not even taking calls on him, I'd say thats the idea behind whats happening now.
If it's a long term deal for 7 then I think Dubas lost in this battle. Willy needs to be under 7 since it's really looking like Marner can get around 9.
Baaaaaaaaa!