Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2018/19): Power UP*

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 8:47 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1991 posts
355 upvotes
If another team like NYR is crazy enough to give Willy the $8 million per season that he wants, for say 7 years, would you match? I think I'd drive Willy to his new team and happily collect the four 1st rounders as compensation.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3635 posts
217 upvotes
Georgetown
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 2:15 pm
If another team like NYR is crazy enough to give Willy the $8 million per season that he wants, for say 7 years, would you match? I think I'd drive Willy to his new team and happily collect the four 1st rounders as compensation.
Pretty sure it would only be 2 firsts, a second and third.... needs to be a contract over 9+ million to get 4 firsts now. I also think they would match because they want to "win now" and likely feel they could trade him for a better return that works towards that goal. If you believed the team making the offer was still going to suck and those first round picks were going to be in the lottery... you could take them and hope to keep extending your competitive window by getting great new players through the draft - but I think that gamble is not worth it when you are in your competitive window. You sign and trade before you take those draft picks...
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1991 posts
355 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 2:25 pm
Pretty sure it would only be 2 firsts, a second and third.... needs to be a contract over 9+ million to get 4 firsts now. I also think they would match because they want to "win now" and likely feel they could trade him for a better return that works towards that goal. If you believed the team making the offer was still going to suck and those first round picks were going to be in the lottery... you could take them and hope to keep extending your competitive window by getting great new players through the draft - but I think that gamble is not worth it when you are in your competitive window. You sign and trade before you take those draft picks...
Actually, for four 1st rounders the AAV has to be over $10+ million and it's averaged out over a maximum of 5 years. So for $8 million for 7 years, we would get four 1st rounders. If that's the case and the team that's offering like NYR is a lottery team, I'm taking that compensation.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3313 posts
1953 upvotes
North Vancouver
It's more likely that it would be $8M x 5 years. The Leafs would have a lot more to think about in that case.

I doubt we'll see an offer sheet regardless. Rebuilding teams can't justify losing the draft pick, and most contenders can't fit in another large salary.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18082 posts
1598 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 2:15 pm
100%

Willy is good, but he's no where good enough to command 4 first round draft picks. If someone wants to give those up, I'd take them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7418 posts
1127 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 2:58 pm
100%

Willy is good, but he's no where good enough to command 4 first round draft picks. If someone wants to give those up, I'd take them.
oh definitely. 4 first rounders from a team likely to be in the 10-20 picking range in the near future, i'd take that for a 60 point player. Especially when i have Matthews, Tavares, Marner & Kadri signed up front, who are 60+ point players as well.

I'd be cringey with Nylander at $7 mil but over 8 years, he'll slowly be worth it. At $8 mil, he's easy to pass on given the talent of this team.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3635 posts
217 upvotes
Georgetown
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 2:43 pm
Actually, for four 1st rounders the AAV has to be over $10+ million and it's averaged out over a maximum of 5 years. So for $8 million for 7 years, we would get four 1st rounders. If that's the case and the team that's offering like NYR is a lottery team, I'm taking that compensation.
Interesting - that definitely makes the team making an offer incentive to stay below the threshold to trigger the 4 firsts. With a shorter term, the AAV should drop... but as others have said... an offer sheet is very unlikely.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18082 posts
1598 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Tiberius wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 6:15 pm
Interesting - that definitely makes the team making an offer incentive to stay below the threshold to trigger the 4 firsts. With a shorter term, the AAV should drop... but as others have said... an offer sheet is very unlikely.
Thing is, Willy has to accept the offer for it to mean anything and he's really stuck on 8x8 o doubt he'd accept 5x8.

If he was willing to sign for 5 years he'd probably be better off taking a 2 year bridge deal.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4804 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
another slow start to the season by Andersen
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2010
4244 posts
712 upvotes
Abbottabad
Andersen suxs. Leafs won’t win the cup with this scrub.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3989 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
kramerz80 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 3:21 pm
We sure can, and I'm sure the Leafs have thought about that or are exploring that option right now.
I'd rather keep Nylander and trade Gardiner and give Dermott his spot. Gards is addition by subtraction. As for Andersen I've said all along that he's not elite and he's proving it yet again. Should've kept McBackup or Pickard because I'm not all that confident about Sparks if Freddie is playing bad or is injured.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1991 posts
355 upvotes
Really sucks losing to the Sens, I wanted us to smash them. But it's only the second game guys, calm down.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4804 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 10:09 pm
Really sucks losing to the Sens, I wanted us to smash them. But it's only the second game guys, calm down.
almost lost to the Habs as well, which on paper should be significantly inferior to the leafs

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)