Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2018/19): Power UP*

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 10:07 am
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4480 posts
495 upvotes
Goodness me 54 minutes left. You made your point Willy, now just sign the GD contract
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5706 posts
1300 upvotes
Markham
HIgh stakes poker or chicken match? Won't be the first time an athelete f'ups his life. You see this quite often in the NBA lately with players turning down a contract only to end up signing for massive amounts less when no one ante's up. Perhaps we should give Nylander the phone number for Nerlens Noel...btw he turned down 70 millions DOLLARS.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5706 posts
1300 upvotes
Markham
scv wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 5:01 pm
I saw him Blink. Guess he got a call from Nerlens Noel LOL. As his good friend Pastrnak said, he's making so much more money than he couid ever have imagined...why go thru this drama. Don't think Wheeties will be calling him for a cereal cover now.

Go Leafs Go.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9870 posts
1806 upvotes
Montréal
Wow, it's finally over?! How's that deal objectively speaking?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7400 posts
1109 upvotes
Ha...they played us.

2 mil bonus to make him whole this year...basically means this was always meant to go to december 1st even though they agreed at a much earlier date on the numbers.

if it was a blinking contest, Leafs didnt have to give him anything extra past the yearly salary. He would've still signed for 6.9. You dont give up nearly $7 mil in 1 year, to make a few hundred k extra per year, essentially making even less than what you lost this year, over the course of the next 6 years.

this was a nicely set up game to have the cap hit this year be at 10.5 mil (or 10.2? cant remember). Nylander needed to wait till December 1st for that to happen. The 2 mil bonus pays him for playing along, essentially paying for the games he did not play this year.

As for the deal optics? Its nearly on par with Kessel's 5.5 mil back in the day, if you remember that contract. Inflation and cap going up, a 5.5 mil back then would be in the 6-7 mil range now. He scored 61 points in his first 2 NHL seasons...he can probably do better...so...6.9 mil per year is essentially 100k per point. Think its ok for the team, ok for the player. Definitely, the Leafs didnt get a "steal of a deal" or anything.

I see TSN calling it a win-win...i'd call it an ok-ok. Deal is fair for both sides, but also not "great" for both sides.

I just hope he doesnt suck for too long, until he catches up, because fans will turn on him real fast after all this media attention and the 10 mil cap hit this year.

Regardless, the way this was handled, I'm never buying his jersey. I'll grab Tavares' next. Already got 2 signed by Matthews. I'll get Marners after he signs, not before.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
2957 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
holy christ - he is getting around 17 million in the next 7 months ????

nice deal dubas :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18035 posts
1569 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The good news with the large bonus this year and next year is his contract is more attractive to other teams in the future if we ever need to trade him.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
173 upvotes
Adelaide
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:33 pm
Ha...they played us.

2 mil bonus to make him whole this year...basically means this was always meant to go to december 1st even though they agreed at a much earlier date on the numbers.

if it was a blinking contest, Leafs didnt have to give him anything extra past the yearly salary. He would've still signed for 6.9. You dont give up nearly $7 mil in 1 year, to make a few hundred k extra per year, essentially making even less than what you lost this year, over the course of the next 6 years.

this was a nicely set up game to have the cap hit this year be at 10.5 mil (or 10.2? cant remember). Nylander needed to wait till December 1st for that to happen. The 2 mil bonus pays him for playing along, essentially paying for the games he did not play this year.
Why would Nylander or the leafs care about the 10.5 mil cap hit this year? I don't see any reason for either to drag this out if numbers were agreed upon already.
Sep 19, 2018
18 posts
5 upvotes
only the deep pocket of MLSE is capable of pulling this off
If you are unsure about what I said above, then check out www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts
Jul 5, 2004
23287 posts
2855 upvotes
dchabby wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:59 pm
holy christ - he is getting around 17 million in the next 7 months ????

nice deal dubas :facepalm:
It's a great deal. Provides the team with a very future cap friendly and trade friendly deal. It allows for others to be signed at large deals and allows the Leafs to trade him in the future if they choose to do so.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7888 posts
1701 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 8:47 pm
Why would Nylander or the leafs care about the 10.5 mil cap hit this year? I don't see any reason for either to drag this out if numbers were agreed upon already.
Because they have cap space this year. Not so much next year with deals for M and M. This was played beautifully by Dubas and Nylander's camp, won't be surprised if this was decided on 3 months ago, and the reason everyone was mum about the negotiations.