• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 9:26 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7416 posts
1126 upvotes
BongoBong wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:45 pm
By calculating how much money he is making per day dividing the remaining number of days in the season into the 6.9 million he is being paid, then multiplying that number by the total number of days in the season.

No. The cap hit is based on what someone would be making yearly. If someone is paid 6.9 million for 2/3rds of the year, that doesn't reflect what the yearly amount would be based on his daily earnings which is why it is pro rated up.

Lets go back to how you think this played out. How much money do you think the Leafs and Nylander agreed to earlier in the year that he should make over the 6 years?
If that was the case, the cap hit would be $9 million for Nylander's second year since he's making a 700k salary and is getting 8.3 mil in signing bonuses.

Article lists it properly, including the bonuses being fudged in the first 2 years to allow the remaining 4 years @ only 6 mil cash vs a 6.9 mil salary:

"The first season carries a prorated $10 million salary that comes out to $6.77 million, including a $2 million signing bonus. That means it has a current season average annual value of $10.2 million. The "out years" of the contract after this season carry a cap hit of $6.9 million.

According to TSN, the second year of the deal sees Nylander's base salary drop to $700,000, with a signing bonus of $8.3 million. In the other years of the deal, it's $2.5 million in base salary with $3.5 million in signing bonuses. Hence, $24.3 million of his $41.4 million contract is guaranteed through those bonuses."

If Nylander signed before the season started, they couldn't have fudged the real cash numbers vs cap hit like they did. They would've been locked to 7 mil per year, every year, cash on cap hit 1 to 1.

This telenovela was real over the summer and probably training camp, not on December 1st at 4:59pm.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
173 upvotes
Adelaide
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:01 pm
If that was the case, the cap hit would be $9 million for Nylander's second year since he's making a 700k salary and is getting 8.3 mil in signing bonuses.
Why would they prorate anything for a year he is fully playing? That's what the average annual salary cap is for. The first year is an exception due to the oddity of not having the contract from the beginning of the year.
Article lists it properly, including the bonuses being fudged in the first 2 years to allow the remaining 4 years @ only 6 mil cash vs a 6.9 mil salary:
Bonuses don't effect cap hit. How the bonuses are structured are irrelevant to the cap hit.
If Nylander signed before the season started, they couldn't have fudged the real cash numbers vs cap hit like they did. They would've been locked to 7 mil per year, every year, cash on cap hit 1 to 1.

They didn't fudge the numbers. Again I ask you. How much do you think the leafs and Nylander agreed that he should be paid over a 6 year contract at the beginning of the season?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7715 posts
2113 upvotes
Toronto
what a game! what a shot!
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6435 posts
1179 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:18 pm
what a game! what a shot!
What a goal. Never ceases to amaze us
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3989 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
HOLY CRAP WHAT A GAME!! Smiling Face With Sunglasses Seriously that might be the best game of the season so far! Good to have a rivalry going where both teams are on the rise and where beating your opponent feels extra good because Sabre fans will be salty now. Face With Tears Of Joy

Also seeing Kapanen play so well, you have to wonder why he shouldn't have been given a shot with better players much earlier? Could've tried out Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander a long time ago and see how that would work instead of putting Hyman out there with the other two. Kapanen so far is looking to be a more skilled version of Hyman with the same engine and work ethic. I really REALLY hope Babcock will put these three together and see if they can't work some Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand kind of magic.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3635 posts
217 upvotes
Georgetown
BongoBong wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:11 pm
Why would they prorate anything for a year he is fully playing? That's what the average annual salary cap is for. The first year is an exception due to the oddity of not having the contract from the beginning of the year.

Bonuses don't effect cap hit. How the bonuses are structured are irrelevant to the cap hit.

They didn't fudge the numbers. Again I ask you. How much do you think the leafs and Nylander agreed that he should be paid over a 6 year contract at the beginning of the season?
I don’t think he gets it Bongo. Honestly, I was thinking the same at first (that he actually was getting 45 million and thus it was a 7.5 per year contract).... but then I realized his 10 million salary this year was prorated so it was really not what he would take home. He loses over 3 million of that for the days he sat out. Thus, he gets paid just under 42 million over the 6 years... less than 7 million avg per season.

It is worth noting the Leafs take the FULL cap hit of 45 million though! We are just lucky it is front loaded due to the formula used, and years 2 through 6 are under 7.

They cleverly structured the contract. However, there is no difference between this contract and giving him a 6 year at 6.9+ contract before the season begins - except this years cap hit would only be 6.9! Thus, having Nylander play ALL of this seasons games AND not have to take the extra cap hit this year (probably doesn’t matter.. but still)... it clearly would have been better to just pay this before the season began.

Clearly Dubas lost this negotiation - but got an “acceptable” result. It is highly likely Nylander would not have accepted 42 for 6 at the start of the season... so they had to take this route to arrive at the destination.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2010
4244 posts
711 upvotes
Abbottabad
Sign AM34 to a 10 year $150 Million deal now.

Get it done Dubby.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23864 posts
1258 upvotes
Markham, ON
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:01 pm

"The first season carries a prorated $10 million salary that comes out to $6.77 million, including a $2 million signing bonus. That means it has a current season average annual value of $10.2 million. The "out years" of the contract after this season carry a cap hit of $6.9 million.

According to TSN, the second year of the deal sees Nylander's base salary drop to $700,000, with a signing bonus of $8.3 million. In the other years of the deal, it's $2.5 million in base salary with $3.5 million in signing bonuses. Hence, $24.3 million of his $41.4 million contract is guaranteed through those bonuses."

This telenovela was real over the summer and probably training camp, not on December 1st at 4:59pm.
shh....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23864 posts
1258 upvotes
Markham, ON
iamskyhigh wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:08 am
Sign AM34 to a 10 year $150 Million deal now.

Get it done Dubby.
i have a feeling more holdout...just to save on cap spaces :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6435 posts
1179 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:52 pm
+Nylander -Gauthier for next game please..
Yea.

Unfortunately Gauthier is a bust.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3635 posts
217 upvotes
Georgetown
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:26 pm
i have a feeling more holdout...just to save on cap spaces :)
Holdout doesn't work for us from a cap space perspective next year... unless they sit one of Marner or Matthews the entire season! If one or both sign late... the extra cap hit in the current year will sink them. The cap next year is already too bloody tight. It "theoretically" gets better in each passing season as the cap goes up (although they will have to keep cycling in cheap players until they free up cap space to pay for established players)
Sep 19, 2018
20 posts
9 upvotes
:facepalm: Sparks...
If you are unsure about what I said above, then check out www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts
Sep 19, 2018
20 posts
9 upvotes
man... I don't even have much knowledge about being a goalie and yet I can even figure out that the 3rd redwings goal was a POOR goal to let in by a badly positioned Sparks.....
If you are unsure about what I said above, then check out www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

scratchieepants