Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:57 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
thechampion116 wrote: Some of the guys they got weren't all drafted first overall or second overall. They were either in very deep drafts or did better than expected. You can't hit paydirt everytime in the draft.. Even if you go to a place like Florida. They have drafted pretty high for a couple of years and still aren't moving anywhere in the last decade either. If that was the case, every team would be right up there.
I never said drafting high guaranteed success. There's no other way around it. In the cap era, you have to draft well if you want to compete for a cup. Drafting isn't an exact science. There's a bit of luck involved if you believe in that stuff.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
BaboSo wrote: They are spending money. They are close to the cap. I would agree with you if they are always well below the cap.
The issue isn't whether they are spending money or not. The issue is whether they are spending the money wisely or not.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Indicate wrote: Well there goes subby, still have stamkos.
The Leafs wont be getting Stamkos either, no way Tampa lets him go. They'll give him the cash and he'll stay down there and collect.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
Evil Baby wrote: The Leafs wont be getting Stamkos either, no way Tampa lets him go. They'll give him the cash and he'll stay down there and collect.
I agree. Just the tax reason alone is enough to ensure that Stamkos makes the most money playing in Tampa. Maybe if Nonis can build a competitive team by 2016 then Stamkos will have something to consider.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
If Stamkos ever came to Toronto that would be BIG. Huge marketability ! Highly unlikely though unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
Solsearchin1 wrote: If Stamkos ever came to Toronto that would be BIG. Huge marketability ! Highly unlikely though unfortunately.
It would be huge and could definitely help inflate ticket prices as he'll be a big draw. If the Leafs want a shot at signing him, Nonis better work fast and build a good team. Money alone will not attract Stamkos to Toronto. He's going to be paid no matter where he ends up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Sgt_Strider wrote: It would be huge and could definitely help inflate ticket prices as he'll be a big draw. If the Leafs want a shot at signing him, Nonis better work fast and build a good team. Money alone will not attract Stamkos to Toronto. He's going to be paid no matter where he ends up.
Leafs should have signed Del Zotto, that would have helped a lot if Stamkos becomes an UFA. Flyers grabbed Del Zotto for a bargain basement price yesterday, he struggled the past season but at 24 has a huge upside. Leafs have similar Dmen to Del Zotto but still...stock up on D instead of 4 liners makes more sense to me.

Stamkos and Del Zotto are good buddies, played together for years for Markham Waxers 3A.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Zamboni wrote: Leafs should have signed Del Zotto, that would have helped a lot if Stamkos becomes an UFA. Flyers grabbed Del Zotto for a bargain basement price yesterday, he struggled the past season but at 24 has a huge upside. Leafs have similar Dmen to Del Zotto but still...stock up on D instead of 4 liners makes more sense to me.

Stamkos and Del Zotto are good buddies, played together for years for Markham Waxers 3A.
Del only signed 1 year i think, we'll sign him next year in agreement that Stamkos will come the year after!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Sgt_Strider wrote: I agree. Just the tax reason alone is enough to ensure that Stamkos makes the most money playing in Tampa. Maybe if Nonis can build a competitive team by 2016 then Stamkos will have something to consider.
Landscape has changed regarding taxes-the plateau Bush put in expired in 2013. Players on Alberta's teams pay the least amount of tax in the NHL.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
Zamboni wrote: Leafs should have signed Del Zotto, that would have helped a lot if Stamkos becomes an UFA. Flyers grabbed Del Zotto for a bargain basement price yesterday, he struggled the past season but at 24 has a huge upside. Leafs have similar Dmen to Del Zotto but still...stock up on D instead of 4 liners makes more sense to me.

I doubt that would have made a difference. I read it on ESPN all the time about players wanting to play with one another as a result of their friendships. Yet, it doesn't always happen for various reasons.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
Zamboni wrote: Landscape has changed regarding taxes-the plateau Bush put in expired in 2013. Players on Alberta's teams pay the least amount of tax in the NHL.
What are you talking about? How does Bush affect Florida's income tax rate? Last I checked, Alberta have an income tax.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Sgt_Strider wrote: What are you talking about? How does Bush affect Florida's income tax rate? Last I checked, Alberta have an income tax.
Not George, his brother.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
iamskyhigh wrote: Not George, his brother.
I still don't get it. Can you please explain what Jeb Bush did in Florida that affected income tax?
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
I look forward to the Leafs Discussion thread this year. Hopefully the usuals have time to check in often and carry the discussion!
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Less than a month until regular season begins!

The pessimistic Leafs fan in me is ready for another high hopes, disappointing season!

My attitude towards them will go like this through out the season:

:cheesygri :D :) :| :( :cry: :mad: :facepalm: (in that exact order)
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
448 upvotes
Help me
CSAgent wrote: Less than a month until regular season begins!

The pessimistic Leafs fan in me is ready for another high hopes, disappointing season!

My attitude towards them will go like this through out the season:

:cheesygri :D :) :| :( :cry: :mad: :facepalm: (in that exact order)
There should be a smiley face in there at the end when they look like they are going to make the playoffs, then collapse...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)