Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 5:19 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Hanson played well last night too...he was very visible all night.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Its too early to celebrate a change but I ask one simple question.

When was the last time the Leafs actually had young players with promise?

Not in ages.

With Phaneuf, yes he's been having a bad season overall, BUT if he plays to potential, this is a Norris Trophy candidate. No one will deny that. Its up to him to play to that potential.

Schenn is also another young prospect who has been playing well for the past 2 months and seems to be back to his old self. With Phaneuf here, it sets an example for the style of play people want from Schenn. He has a decent shot and just needs to get the puck on the net. He has been a lot more aggressive lately too.

Gunnarsson was another unknown that has now popped up on the radar. That is 3 solid young guys that could be the core for the future (ie/4-5 years from now). Thats not including a veteran like Beauchemin (who's finally playing well) and a potential prospect in Keith Aulie.

The goaltending situation isn't as great but people need to give Giggy some time. He father passed away about a year ago I believe, his son being born with an eye condition and then Hiller's stellar play taking away his #1 job. He now can reset himself and be prepared to be a #1 again. The Monster is not ready but he has the same style and size as Giggy. There is something to learn from just watching this guy. He's also better than any goalie prospect in the system for a while unless you count Rask, which still places him second.

On forwards, when was the last time the Leafs had a natural goalscorer. Mogilny on the tailend of his career. Phil Kessel is that. Also, the influx of young talent the Leafs have now and in the system could all have potential.
Bozak, Hanson, Stalberg, Kadri, D'Amigo(made a case for himself at the Juniors) and the list goes on.

There is a vision for the future and just like any other team, you gotta wait it out and see if the talent can make something of itself.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
thechampion116 wrote: Its too early to celebrate a change but I ask one simple question.

When was the last time the Leafs actually had young players with promise?

Not in ages.

With Phaneuf, yes he's been having a bad season overall, BUT if he plays to potential, this is a Norris Trophy candidate. No one will deny that. Its up to him to play to that potential.

Schenn is also another young prospect who has been playing well for the past 2 months and seems to be back to his old self. With Phaneuf here, it sets an example for the style of play people want from Schenn. He has a decent shot and just needs to get the puck on the net. He has been a lot more aggressive lately too.

Gunnarsson was another unknown that has now popped up on the radar. That is 3 solid young guys that could be the core for the future (ie/4-5 years from now). Thats not including a veteran like Beauchemin (who's finally playing well) and a potential prospect in Keith Aulie.

The goaltending situation isn't as great but people need to give Giggy some time. He father passed away about a year ago I believe, his son being born with an eye condition and then Hiller's stellar play taking away his #1 job. He now can reset himself and be prepared to be a #1 again. The Monster is not ready but he has the same style and size as Giggy. There is something to learn from just watching this guy. He's also better than any goalie prospect in the system for a while unless you count Rask, which still places him second.

On forwards, when was the last time the Leafs had a natural goalscorer. Mogilny on the tailend of his career. Phil Kessel is that. Also, the influx of young talent the Leafs have now and in the system could all have potential.
Bozak, Hanson, Stalberg, Kadri, D'Amigo(made a case for himself at the Juniors) and the list goes on.

There is a vision for the future and just like any other team, you gotta wait it out and see if the talent can make something of itself.
Just one game ...but noticed that Kaberle had reduced minutes...his days are def'nly up. Burke is saying all the right things...but I truly believe that he's going to present a few offers to Kaberle in the next few weeks to waive his no trade clause.

Burke is likely looking for a young centermen and a draft pic (or some kind of combination). Wonder if there's anything in LA that can be had? That said, if nothing happens...c'est la vie...Burke will def'n looking into picking off a Hawks or 2 in the offseason.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
wow what happened to Boston? They might end up with Seguin and Fowler at this point...
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
thelefteyeguy wrote: Just one game ...but noticed that Kaberle had reduced minutes...his days are def'nly up. Burke is saying all the right things...but I truly believe that he's going to present a few offers to Kaberle in the next few weeks to waive his no trade clause.

Burke is likely looking for a young centermen and a draft pic (or some kind of combination). Wonder if there's anything in LA that can be had? That said, if nothing happens...c'est la vie...Burke will def'n looking into picking off a Hawks or 2 in the offseason.
It appears to most people that Kabs is being pushed out even if Burkes not asking for him to waive his NTC but I would l love to see Kessel/Kabs/Phaneuf get a few games together on the PP. The opposing team can't double team both Kessel and Phaneuf.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2258 posts
147 upvotes
Mississauga
w00t time to think about stanley cup!

they are only 10 points away with 25 games left!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
DuDe1411 wrote: w00t time to think about stanley cup!

they are only 10 points away with 25 games left!
well.. really 11 points as tampa is 10 pts ahead but also has 2 games.. so i compare leafs to the habs..

anyways.. post lock out, 8th place has been 92 points at the lowest... which means we need 45 points in 25 games lol....21-1-3....

that is the record we r looking at needing if we want to make the playoffs..i dont think so lol...

every team in the nhl except the Leafs, Hurricanes, Oilers and Blue Jackets have a legit shot of making the playoffs...as every other team r within 7 pts or left, with games in hand...

so i dont see us getting out of the bottom 4...if we somehow can get out of the bottom 5, that would be a win in itself..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
grappos13 wrote: well.. really 11 points as tampa is 10 pts ahead but also has 2 games.. so i compare leafs to the habs..

anyways.. post lock out, 8th place has been 92 points at the lowest... which means we need 45 points in 25 games lol....21-1-3....

that is the record we r looking at needing if we want to make the playoffs..i dont think so lol...

every team in the nhl except the Leafs, Hurricanes, Oilers and Blue Jackets have a legit shot of making the playoffs...as every other team r within 7 pts or left, with games in hand...

so i dont see us getting out of the bottom 4...if we somehow can get out of the bottom 5, that would be a win in itself..
I have no crazy thoughts of the Leafs making the playoffs this season but I doubt 8th place team will have 92 points this season
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: I have no crazy thoughts of the Leafs making the playoffs this season but I doubt 8th place team will have 92 points this season
I just want to see them devalue the draft picks they gave up as much as possible. This is the year they should go hard until the end no matter what. No reason to slow down.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
BornRuff wrote: I just want to see them devalue the draft picks they gave up as much as possible. This is the year they should go hard until the end no matter what. No reason to slow down.
Uhmmm, you know it also devalues their own draft picks in future rounds as well. Finishing last gets you the 1st, 31st, 61st, 91st pick, etc. Finishing 20th, gets you the 11th, 41st, 71st, etc.

So what if Boston gets #1 - thats just a blow to Burke's massive ego (trust me he has enough to survive). You still want all your other picks to be as high as possible.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Maxman wrote: Uhmmm, you know it also devalues their own draft picks in future rounds as well. Finishing last gets you the 1st, 31st, 61st, 91st pick, etc. Finishing 20th, gets you the 11th, 41st, 71st, etc.

So what if Boston gets #1 - thats just a blow to Burke's massive ego (trust me he has enough to survive). You still want all your other picks to be as high as possible.
unless you are the Wings (whom you are probably a fan of)...anything pass round 1 is pretty much a crap shoot for any other team
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Maxman wrote: Uhmmm, you know it also devalues their own draft picks in future rounds as well. Finishing last gets you the 1st, 31st, 61st, 91st pick, etc. Finishing 20th, gets you the 11th, 41st, 71st, etc.

Leafs don't have a 1st and 2nd pick so Leafs need to push. Once your in the 3rd round its up to the scouts to pick out the good players.
Evil Baby wrote: It appears to most people that Kabs is being pushed out even if Burkes not asking for him to waive his NTC but I would l love to see Kessel/Kabs/Phaneuf get a few games together on the PP. The opposing team can't double team both Kessel and Phaneuf.
Logically speaking, Kaberle should have figured it out by now that he's being moved eventually.
Riflem@n wrote: wow what happened to Boston? They might end up with Seguin and Fowler at this point...
they made the mistake of going with Tim Thomas. They should be playing Rask 24/7. Also, Boston is also the lowest scoring team which they thought they could replace even if they lost Kessel. It at least minimally shows that Kessel had impact on that team.

Boston may be the one team to do something drastic at the deadline.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
thechampion116 wrote: With Phaneuf, yes he's been having a bad season overall, BUT if he plays to potential, this is a Norris Trophy candidate. No one will deny that. Its up to him to play to that potential.
OK, but if Bryan McCabe plays well, he may be a Norris candidate. Or how about Wade Redden - he could be a Norris candidate. They were both Norris candidates not too long ago, and there careers went down afterwards.

Again $6.5 million per year for "hopefully he works out".
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Maxman wrote: OK, but if Bryan McCabe plays well, he may be a Norris candidate. Or how about Wade Redden - he could be a Norris candidate. They were both Norris candidates not too long ago, and there careers went down afterwards.

Again $6.5 million per year for "hopefully he works out".
...McCabe was never a Norris Candidate...Toronto Media was making crap up to sell paper/radio ads.

some Leafs Fan bought it...most didnt.

1 game does make a season but the Leafs last night had vocalized leadership last night. Something the Leafs didnt have since Roberts. Phaneuf looks to be the next captain. He might not produce the numbers like 2 seasons ago...but I don't think anyone on the Leafs is going to have a night off for awhile.

The Leafs did look rather entertaining (sure they won)...but for a while not only did the leafs lose...but it was just plain boring hockey.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
thechampion116 wrote: Leafs don't have a 1st and 2nd pick so Leafs need to push. Once your in the 3rd round its up to the scouts to pick out the good players.

Logically speaking, Kaberle should have figured it out by now that he's being moved eventually.

they made the mistake of going with Tim Thomas. They should be playing Rask 24/7. Also, Boston is also the lowest scoring team which they thought they could replace even if they lost Kessel. It at least minimally shows that Kessel had impact on that team.

Boston may be the one team to do something drastic at the deadline.
def'n with all the picks they have...i could see a much of rentals ...like kova.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
thelefteyeguy wrote: ...McCabe was never a Norris Candidate...Toronto Media was making crap up to sell paper/radio ads.

some Leafs Fan bought it...most didnt.
McCabe finished 4th in Norris voting in 03/04.

Redden finished 5th in Norris voting in 05/06.

Lots of defencemen have looked really good for one season. Usually a contract year when they were young.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
thechampion116 wrote: Leafs don't have a 1st and 2nd pick so Leafs need to push. Once your in the 3rd round its up to the scouts to pick out the good players.
So what do you get for finishing 20th? If you are serious about building a team, you want the best chance at the best players. And you have faith that the Leafs scouts will do a better job at drafting 71st than 61st? Thats based on their impeccable history of scouting and drafting right?

You tank, finish last, sell off Kaberle, Poni, and anything else for draft picks.

There are lots of good players taken in the lower rounds. Daniel Alfreddson and Doug Gilmour were both taken 134th overall. Theo Fleury went 166th. Luc Robitaille went 171st. Brett Hull, Steve Larmer, Peter Bondra all taken late. And 4 pretty good young goalies in Jonathon Quick, Steve Mason, Pekka Rinne, and Jaroslav Halak all taken in the 3rd round or later. So, by giving up even one slot in the draft, you take the chance from your scouts of taking a potential building block away.

Last is where you want to be.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Maxman wrote: So what do you get for finishing 20th? If you are serious about building a team, you want the best chance at the best players. And you have faith that the Leafs scouts will do a better job at drafting 71st than 61st? Thats based on their impeccable history of scouting and drafting right?

You tank, finish last, sell off Kaberle, Poni, and anything else for draft picks.

There are lots of good players taken in the lower rounds. Daniel Alfreddson and Doug Gilmour were both taken 134th overall. Theo Fleury went 166th. Luc Robitaille went 171st. Brett Hull, Steve Larmer, Peter Bondra all taken late. And 4 pretty good young goalies in Jonathon Quick, Steve Mason, Pekka Rinne, and Jaroslav Halak all taken in the 3rd round or later. So, by giving up even one slot in the draft, you take the chance from your scouts of taking a potential building block away.

Last is where you want to be.
See, that doesn't make much sense. Gilmour didn't go his first year of eligibility and he didn't go until the 7th round his second time though. If the scouts do their job anybody could have picked up Dougy round 1-6 regardless of position they finished.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
Maxman wrote: McCabe finished 4th in Norris voting in 03/04.

Redden finished 5th in Norris voting in 05/06.

Lots of defencemen have looked really good for one season. Usually a contract year when they were young.
Do you really think that lots of high-skill Dmen peak in their early 20s and go downhill from there? :lol:

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

blexann