Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 7:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Sure we won't change your mind Kramerz80...but don't you at least see that Kessel could be much more? He would be even faster, especially in the 3rd period if in better shape. Love to see him race Seguin after they both had been pushed to exhaustion...it wouldn't be close. Kessel is wasting his God given talent-no work ethic/poor attitude.
Leafs bring in a Mitch Marner with 5-7 pick, bring up Nylander.....Kessel will set a crappy example of how a pro athlete should behave.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: Kessel reminds me of Alexander Mogilny...I did early on think that Kessel could become...a great 2 way player.
Maybe a few more years for Kessel to get there...or not.

Perhaps Kessel can be traded to the Devils to learn to play defence?
And be brought back as another David Clarkson.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
What's with all these Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel loverboys? Do you not realize your top two paid players are probably the worst top two paid players in the league? Dion Phaneuf is a pylon and Phil Kessel is a one-dimensional winger that refuses to play a system of hockey that gives the team a chance to win. Dion Phaneuf is not worth 7-million dollars a year. He is always out of position and his skating is terrible. Even Bob Mcgown says he isn't even a top 50 D-man in the league. I really don't understand what you people see in Dion Phaneuf. Seriously this man-crush some of you have is hilarious. Why defend the guy? He stinks. Run him out of town. Worst captain in Maple Leaf history.

Man it's no wonder this team has missed the playoffs 9 of the past 10 years. When you have players that don't perform you get rid of them. Simple as that. Kessel may give you 30-40 goal a year but theres more to hockey than just scoring goals. He's a minus 62 in his NHL career. A MINUS 62 PEOPLE! And a minus 21 this year. Bring in/up and develop young kids. Do not keep around dead weight just for the sake of it. Use that roster spot to develop somebody who plays with heart. New kids will come up and they will grind and play with passion. Look at what's on the ice right now, you have a bunch of guys showing up to the rink and earning their paycheques. They don't give a crap about winning.

Burkie built this core and it has been epic collapses year after year. Do you know what that means?? This core SUCKS. GET RID OF THE CORE. TML is a joke of the league. Culture change will not happen if you keep the same players. Fans who are unwilling to part with their so called 'assets' are just in complete denial of the situation. Management has made it clear the rebuild begins this summer. Can't wait to see who they ship out. This is on you Nonis.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
iamskyhigh wrote: Habs are the top team in the East with probably the best goaltender in the world right now. If they were bottom dwellers like the Laffs I'm sure the Montreal media and fans would tear them apart.
Did you listen to the interview? It wasn't about that at all. Maybe you got something different out of it which is totally acceptable.

It's only 9 minutes long http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3 ... erview.mp3
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2005
6005 posts
186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
iamskyhigh wrote: What's with all these Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel loverboys? Do you not realize your top two paid players are probably the worst top two paid players in the league? Dion Phaneuf is a pylon and Phil Kessel is a one-dimensional winger that refuses to play a system of hockey that gives the team a chance to win. Dion Phaneuf is not worth 7-million dollars a year. He is always out of position and his skating is terrible. Even Bob Mcgown says he isn't even a top 50 D-man in the league. I really don't understand what you people see in Dion Phaneuf. Seriously this man-crush some of you have is hilarious. Why defend the guy? He stinks. Run him out of town. Worst captain in Maple Leaf history.

Man it's no wonder this team has missed the playoffs 9 of the past 10 years. When you have players that don't perform you get rid of them. Simple as that. Kessel may give you 30-40 goal a year but theres more to hockey than just scoring goals. He's a minus 62 in his NHL career. A MINUS 62 PEOPLE! And a minus 21 this year. Bring in/up and develop young kids. Do not keep around dead weight just for the sake of it. Use that roster spot to develop somebody who plays with heart. New kids will come up and they will grind and play with passion. Look at what's on the ice right now, you have a bunch of guys showing up to the rink and earning their paycheques. They don't give a crap about winning.

Burkie built this core and it has been epic collapses year after year. Do you know what that means?? This core SUCKS. GET RID OF THE CORE. TML is a joke of the league. Culture change will not happen if you keep the same players. Fans who are unwilling to part with their so called 'assets' are just in complete denial of the situation. Management has made it clear the rebuild begins this summer. Can't wait to see who they ship out. This is on you Nonis.
No one ever said don't trade them. You are a fool.
They undoubtedly can be pieces to a winning team, but that's it - PIECES.

We clearly don't have a core for them to make a difference so thats why we WILL TRADE THEM.
But to trade them for nothing because you perceive them to be useless is stupid.

You rebuild a team by:
1. Drafting well with your picks
2. Trading your assets for maximum value.

If you trade everyone on your team for a bag of pucks, then who will play?

Let me guess, bring the AHL team up? LOL typical.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
nfnx wrote: No one ever said don't trade them. You are a fool.
They undoubtedly can be pieces to a winning team, but that's it - PIECES.

We clearly don't have a core for them to make a difference so thats why we WILL TRADE THEM.
But to trade them for nothing because you perceive them to be useless is stupid.

You rebuild a team by:

At this point we need to get rid of them ASAP. We want to get rid of them because it will be addition by subtraction. Culture change means getting rid of these two scrubs. YOU ARE A FOOL. Keep waiting and before you know it their value has dropped so much that it makes it impossible to get rid of these two. It's already near impossible with their contracts. Let's wait another year or two until their game drops even more!! lets wait guys!! YEAH YOU FOOL.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
nfnx wrote: No one ever said don't trade them. You are a fool.
They undoubtedly can be pieces to a winning team, but that's it - PIECES. Brilliant, isn't every player suppose to be a piece of a winning team? lol
We clearly don't have a core for them to make a difference so thats why we WILL TRADE THEM. They were the core, they failed
But to trade them for nothing because you perceive them to be useless is stupid. It sure is almost as stupid as their GM signing them to $10 & $7 mil contracts

You rebuild a team by:

Nobody wants Kessel for $10 mil because nobody is stupid enough to pay that just the Laffs. Kessel is worth $6 mil nothing more- redline cherry picker one dimensional player defensive liability - why do you think Boston traded him?
Nobody wants Phaneuf for $7 mil because nobody is stupid enough to pay that just the Laffs. He's a $4 mil player that on some teams isn't a top 4 D-man.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
You don't trade for the sake of trading. You wait for the opportune time to net the best possible return. Once summer arrives, contracts expire and new cap get set in place, will teams tango.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Kessel is a good player that can score but that's about it. All the other aspects about him is lacking, defense, attitude, work ethic off the ice, etc. He's one of those players you make a trade for as a rental for a push at the Stanley Cup just like LAK did with Gaborik. You don't want him on your team for long without success otherwise the bad habits transfer to other players.

Too bad the Leafs traded for him, he isn't what we need to build our team and is definitely not a player to build around. #Seguin. One way players don't get far, Ovechkin is the best example i can give you, look at how many Hart trophies he's won, too bad nothing trumps the Stanley Cup. You can't really say his team is bad, he has Backstrom - one of the best passers in the game and he plays both ways. Holtby, Green (Regressed but coming back to stride.. kinda), etc.

As for Phaneuf, i liked him the most after Franson (arguably one of the hardest workers on the team). All the other D in my opinion sucks more than Phaneuf. Gardiner has declined tremendously, Rielly is.. Rielly. Robidas is turning to dust and Polak is average. People give Phaneuf so much flak, he does play against the opposing teams first line and doesn't get score on that often. I do have to say this year he's been worse and the plus minus rating is proof but the previous seasons he was doing pretty well. We are tanking this year so the rating is somewhat inflated.

PS: The tweet where it said Lupul banged Phaneufs wife (Elisha Cuthbert) was hilarious, i saw it live during the trade deadline and was cracking up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
HAHA OMG. Leafs better win this game. A forward playing net for the Panthers. LOL

damn nevermind.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
iamskyhigh wrote: HAHA OMG. Leafs better win this game. A forward playing net for the Panthers. LOL
Oh God, this is too much
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Leafs could still manage to lose with MacKenzie in net.

Since it's tied, he'd get the win.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe.

Could the delay because of injury require them to take him out of the game, since he also left the playing surface?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Dec 29, 2014
35 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Phaneuf suing TSN and the poor guy who's tweet made it on live TV. What a jerk.

I'd be the type of GM to send him down to the minors for the rest of the season. The bus would remind him he's not entitled to sue fans over rude comments.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sorry, but how is a goaltending coach allowed to suit up and possibly play in a game? Don't you have to be on the active roster to play in an NHL game?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Kudos to Montoya and Luongo.

That's taking one for the team.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

blexann