Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk: Bummed out...ohwell try again next season

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2017 8:44 am
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1095 posts
153 upvotes
I honestly don't think Ovi and Caps are playing poorly. This series could easily be 3-0 or 2-1 for either Caps or Leafs. Andersen has been amazing, and if he didn't play the way he did and made those big point blank saves, we wouldn't be in this.

The one mistake almost everyone made was they didn't give enough credit to the Leafs to be able to play this well against the Caps.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Sep 30, 2001
26153 posts
5242 upvotes
Glad to read they're going to play Ovi more tonight. Hopefully he'll ignite his team and come out ahead tonight.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6919 posts
761 upvotes
Toronto
Bah, this is their 'best', barely hanging on and winning by 1 goal? If it wasn't for their stupid miscommunicated play that lead to the last Cap goal, it should've went to OT. What a buzzkill after Matthew's goal.

Caps aren't gonna win like all those other years, they just don't have *it*, kinda like the Blues. Even if they beat the Leafs and it's a big 'if' now.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16312 posts
881 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ducky wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:50 pm
huge boo boo on the 5th goal... that was ugly...
It really was ugly. That was just inexperience and pressure getting to them. Hopefully they don't continue to make mistakes like that.

There was no reason to rush there which is he hardest part of it. Too bad Polak is injured because it might have been him out there instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3671 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
What a bad game. I had a bad feeling going in that we wouldn't win and I'm sure I wasn't alone. Got outplayed, defense was crap and Andersen let in some soft goals. He really does seem like Jekyll and Hyde at times where sometimes he looks very solid and even occasionally brilliant and other times he looks like a crappy backup goalie that can't be trusted with the top job. At times you need your goalie to keep your team in the game when they're playing badly and Andersen doesn't always seem to be able to do that for us.

Not all his fault for this loss, but that goal when we brought it back to 4-3 was a dagger that put this game away. Yeah the defense was terrible on that goal, but he could've been the difference there as we were gaining momentum and pushing back against a Caps team that was beating us most of the night. This was a winnable game even though we didn't deserve it. Lets hope we come to play next game.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6372 posts
604 upvotes
Caps have run around the Leafs primarily because of 2 things.

1 is lack of hard nosed big bodied players. Most of the Leafs team is fairly soft. Only 3 hitters in the forwards group (Kadri, Martin, Leo) and zero on D group (Polak's out).

2 is lack of skilled D. Leafs top 3 is decent, Leafs bottom 3 is AHL caliber filled in with perennial NHLers (props to Hunwick for becoming way better as the season went on)

I think this team has it in the tank to win 1 game, and i think winning the next one might be better.

Leafs have sucked at home and rolled over bodies on the road, I think in the playoffs home advantage is a bit reversed for this team.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4933 posts
885 upvotes
Whitby
MaximDude wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:16 pm
What a bad game. I had a bad feeling going in that we wouldn't win and I'm sure I wasn't alone. Got outplayed, defense was crap and Andersen let in some soft goals. He really does seem like Jekyll and Hyde at times where sometimes he looks very solid and even occasionally brilliant and other times he looks like a crappy backup goalie that can't be trusted with the top job. At times you need your goalie to keep your team in the game when they're playing badly and Andersen doesn't always seem to be able to do that for us.

Not all his fault for this loss, but that goal when we brought it back to 4-3 was a dagger that put this game away. Yeah the defense was terrible on that goal, but he could've been the difference there as we were gaining momentum and pushing back against a Caps team that was beating us most of the night. This was a winnable game even though we didn't deserve it. Lets hope we come to play next game.
Anderson has rebounded from bad games with really good games; Leafs need that in game 5. It will be interesting to see how the whole team responds,
nomdesplumes:

"I wonder if adding extra electrical outlets is considered an electrical installation?"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6757 posts
934 upvotes
Ajax
3 games left. I won't be surprised if Andersen steals one and Holtby steals one and it comes down to game 7 on Tuesday.

First time the Leafs reach the playoffs in 13 years (not counting 2013) and I will be on a ship on Tuesday, talk about timing. Confused Face
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6807 posts
1370 upvotes
they were off in a bunch of areas last game (d, goaltending, face offs, etc) and they still only lost by a goal so reason for optimism if they can show some improvement. still worried about the depth of the d holding up over a long series. i was most concerned with marincin, but zaitsev logs a lot of minutes and he's been brutal in his man to man coverage.
biggest wildcard imo is to what degree are the leafs in the caps heads and will that extend the caps long history of choking in the playoffs.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Jul 5, 2004
22015 posts
1955 upvotes
Win or lose, the Caps are not a much better team than the Leafs, not at all.

At first I was just happy the Leafs were fun to watch. Then they started winning and I wanted playoffs. Then all i wanted was 1 or maybe 2 playoff wins. Now i want to win the series. It's so easy to become spoiled. But the reality is the Leafs are good enough to win this series
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Sep 30, 2001
26153 posts
5242 upvotes
Woo that was an awesome play by the Caps to win this in OT. Only one more game to go!
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3671 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
Damn that sucked. One bad break and that's game. :( :(

Really good comeback game after the last one and they let a very winnable game get away from them. Sucks that the playoffs might end for the Leafs on Sunday, but I'm happy with how this team has played for the most part. Only really bad game from them was game 4 and the rest we were all in it and competing and going toe to toe with the Caps so you can't ask for more than that other than you wish that the Leafs had a few more things go their way. :/
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6919 posts
761 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:04 pm
Win or lose, the Caps are not a much better team than the Leafs, not at all.

At first I was just happy the Leafs were fun to watch. Then they started winning and I wanted playoffs. Then all i wanted was 1 or maybe 2 playoff wins. Now i want to win the series. It's so easy to become spoiled. But the reality is the Leafs are good enough to win this series
Ya, the Caps are a joke. Even if Leafs lose the next one, they still are perennial underachievers.

MrDisco wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:13 pm
Woo that was an awesome play by the Caps to win this in OT. Only one more game to go!
TWO more games ;)