Leafs Talk: Bummed out...ohwell try again next season

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2017 11:53 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3630 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
Also want to say that the Leafs maybe should consider switching out Carrick for game 6 because Babcock clearly doesn't really trust him when he played only a little over 6 mins the whole game. Maybe throw in Marchenko or something and see if he can't do better because right now the Leafs are pretty much playing with 5 defensemen if Carrick isn't going to play much and even Marincin only got 13 mins tonight.

In the offseason we really need to get at least one or two dependable Dmen or hope that someone like Dermott can come up and be big for us. Right now that is really killing us and also as much as I love Marner, he doesn't look too good out on the ice right now. Not sure if he's gassed or maybe its just because its the playoffs and the Caps are being tough on him, but he hasn't been able to get anything going offensively like he has during much of the regular season.

At this time I kinda wonder if drafting someone like Provorov or Werenski instead of Marner wouldn't have been better considering both are potential top pairing Dmen who would be filling a position of need and eating up big minutes for us on the blueline.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1046 posts
144 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:54 pm
Also want to say that the Leafs maybe should consider switching out Carrick for game 6 because Babcock clearly doesn't really trust him when he played only a little over 6 mins the whole game. Maybe throw in Marchenko or something and see if he can't do better because right now the Leafs are pretty much playing with 5 defensemen if Carrick isn't going to play much and even Marincin only got 13 mins tonight.

In the offseason we really need to get at least one or two dependable Dmen or hope that someone like Dermott can come up and be big for us. Right now that is really killing us and also as much as I love Marner, he doesn't look too good out on the ice right now. Not sure if he's gassed or maybe its just because its the playoffs and the Caps are being tough on him, but he hasn't been able to get anything going offensively like he has during much of the regular season.

At this time I kinda wonder if drafting someone like Provorov or Werenski instead of Marner wouldn't have been better considering both are potential top pairing Dmen who would be filling a position of need and eating up big minutes for us on the blueline.
This seems like an overreaction on Marner. Let's remember that he and the other Leafs are rookies still and this is their first playoff round. It's not like Werenski lit it up in the playoffs, his team got smoked in 5 games.

Let's win the next home at home and push it to game 7 and knock them out in their own home.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6226 posts
487 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:54 pm

Carrick is ok but he's small and get shoved around and off the puck too easily. Zaitsev's not a big boy either and the Leafs already lost Polak on a defensive core made for a bottom 10 team, not a playoff headed team. Playoffs werent even on the menu for this year when the season started. Remember this team finished 30th last year.

If by some absolutely stupendous miracle they win the next 2 games, it'll be one for the history books.

Its not inconceivable, Caps only regulation goals was on a fake-penalty because Kadri dared to touch a star, but thats how playoffs go.

In the Flames series, the Ducks literally were handed 2 wins by the referee calls. Leafs series is a bit of back and forth at least. Or was.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3630 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 12:30 am

This seems like an overreaction on Marner. Let's remember that he and the other Leafs are rookies still and this is their first playoff round. It's not like Werenski lit it up in the playoffs, his team got smoked in 5 games.

Let's win the next home at home and push it to game 7 and knock them out in their own home.
Werenski only played in 3 games in the playoffs because of that nasty injury that he took. Also I get that this is their first time in the playoffs and all that, but I'm just speculating with 20/20 hindsight how things might be now if we had drafted Provorov or Werenski instead of Marner. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy to have him, but we're missing a top 4/top pairing defenseman right now and I'd say its much more difficult to get one of those than it is to get a top winger.

I mean look at some of the trade proposals during the season for Trouba where even the Leafs giving up Nylander for him wouldn't be enough on his own and right now even if the Leafs wanted to trade Marner for Provorov or Werenski straight up, its doubtful Philly or Columbus would do that deal.

Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 4:15 am
Carrick is ok but he's small and get shoved around and off the puck too easily. Zaitsev's not a big boy either and the Leafs already lost Polak on a defensive core made for a bottom 10 team, not a playoff headed team. Playoffs werent even on the menu for this year when the season started. Remember this team finished 30th last year.

If by some absolutely stupendous miracle they win the next 2 games, it'll be one for the history books.

Its not inconceivable, Caps only regulation goals was on a fake-penalty because Kadri dared to touch a star, but thats how playoffs go.

In the Flames series, the Ducks literally were handed 2 wins by the referee calls. Leafs series is a bit of back and forth at least. Or was.
Zaitzev isn't small as he's listed at 6'2 which is fine and if we want more size then Marchenko wouldn't be a bad choice and at this point I wouldn't mind trying him since Carrick isn't playing much anyways. I kinda doubt that we can beat the Caps being behind 3-2, but regardless its been a pretty successful season and hopefully management will address our defense in the offseason or maybe one or more of our prospects is good enough to make the team.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6226 posts
487 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 8:00 am
Werenski only played in 3 games in the playoffs because of that nasty injury that he took. Also I get that this is their first time in the playoffs and all that, but I'm just speculating with 20/20 hindsight how things might be now if we had drafted Provorov or Werenski instead of Marner. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy to have him, but we're missing a top 4/top pairing defenseman right now and I'd say its much more difficult to get one of those than it is to get a top winger.

I mean look at some of the trade proposals during the season for Trouba where even the Leafs giving up Nylander for him wouldn't be enough on his own and right now even if the Leafs wanted to trade Marner for Provorov or Werenski straight up, its doubtful Philly or Columbus would do that deal.

Zaitzev isn't small as he's listed at 6'2 which is fine and if we want more size then Marchenko wouldn't be a bad choice and at this point I wouldn't mind trying him since Carrick isn't playing much anyways. I kinda doubt that we can beat the Caps being behind 3-2, but regardless its been a pretty successful season and hopefully management will address our defense in the offseason or maybe one or more of our prospects is good enough to make the team.
They dont list proper height for players. You can shave off an inch to 2 inches off of everyone on the site. Marner is 5'9 to 5'10 and listed at 6ft which is just LOL

Zaitsev is 6ft on a good day, 5'11 is what my money is on. Regardless, I think playing him after that head injury he "didnt" suffer, was a bad idea. Rather have inserted Marchenko for a game to see how it went, but im no NHL coach.

Im actually hoping Caps blow a tired and Leafs blow them out for game 6. Even if we lose game 7, I wanna lose on a high note as it were.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6712 posts
1334 upvotes
alexander the great faker leaves the ice limping, caps score on the pp, then guess who returns to the ice from his "knee injury" and is the fastest he's been in the whole series...and then throws in a few cheap shots for good measure.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Temp. Banned
Nov 25, 2010
3989 posts
575 upvotes
Good series. Going to overtime for 4 out of the 5 games so far has proven that this team has what it takes to compete against the big boys. At least we are spared from the embarrassment of a sweep like the Flames and Hawks.

Hopefully our young buds can grow from this experience. It was fun while it lasted boys. In Shanny we trust!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6716 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Great series. U dint expect the leafs to keep up w the caps.

Our 2nd best pp of the season couldn't do much thus series or would have been up in the series now.

Andersen is the goalie the leafs been trying to look for in a long time. big game saves to keep the leafs close and able to win game in and out.
Aug 17, 2008
443 posts
115 upvotes
The best thing that happened to the Leafs this year was not signing Stamkos. Yes, he's very talented, but where would he have fit in? In Connor Brown's slot I guess. Plus they saved $8.5 mil in cap space through the 23/24 season. The team chemistry is so good right now too.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3598 posts
369 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:18 am
They dont list proper height for players. You can shave off an inch to 2 inches off of everyone on the site. Marner is 5'9 to 5'10 and listed at 6ft which is just LOL
Zaitsev is 6ft on a good day, 5'11 is what my money is on.
What makes your numbers any more correct than anyone else?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1046 posts
144 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:08 am
It's commonly known that NHL personal stats like height and weight are slightly exaggerated.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4060 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
MrMom wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 8:24 am
The best thing that happened to the Leafs this year was not signing Stamkos. Yes, he's very talented, but where would he have fit in? In Connor Brown's slot I guess. Plus they saved $8.5 mil in cap space through the 23/24 season. The team chemistry is so good right now too.
I'll take stamkos anyday... easy to make room for a superstar...... he's still young.... you must be crazy to not want stamkos if he wanted to come here...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6226 posts
487 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:08 am
Its not "my numbers" its the NHL numbers minus the exaggerations they always use to bump up player's physical stats.

If i went by my numbers, I'd go by how people look on the ice next to each other, and its easy to tell who's a peewee, a medium build, and a tall guy.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel