• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2017 11:53 pm
Oct 27, 2013
137 posts
24 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
162 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:23 am
Well that now makes it 50 years and counting, unbelievable.
What's another year lol
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3626 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
Leafs sign Zaitsev to 4.5 million for 7 years. Money isn't a bad number, but that many years? Lets hope he continues to improve and get better so that his contract will look like a steal. :)
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4298 posts
685 upvotes
Markham
Zaitsev had a decent rookie defenceman regular season up to his concussion. He shows a lot of decent skills and a long term deal makes sense as I think it will be shown to be cheap in the next yr or so. He's only 24 and playing defence in the NHL is not easy.

He didn't have good playoff run when he stepped in for Polak in my opinion. If Polak didn't get injured, I think the Leafs may have won that series.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4761 posts
939 upvotes
GTA
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 12:39 am
I'm not pushing for trading Marner. I'm just saying if it had to be one of the two, I'd keep Nylander.

JVR won't get us the top 2/3 defenseman that we need. He's a good player but he's an UFA after next year and will demand a pretty penny. And I'd say he's hit his potential already. Just look at what Oilers got for Hall.

I hope we can keep all three young stars for the next 7 years. Lou and Shanny has to be very creative to upgrade our defense core. As of now, that's our only real weakness.
Well, does this count?.. :)
Leafs bolster blue line with two Swedish free agents

The Toronto Maple Leafs have moved to address their deficiencies at defence by signing two European free agents: Calle Rosen and Andreas Borgman.

Overlooked in their draft years, the two blueliners have a chance to be NHL regulars after impressive starts in the Swedish Hockey League.

“They’ll get every opportunity, they have the ability,” Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello said. “Whether it’s right away, or whether it’s in a month, we’ll have to wait and see. No pressure on anyone. We’re delighted they’ve chosen us, they were highly recruited.”

The same scouts who struck gold with Nikita Zaitsev last year recommended Rosen and Borgman.

Rosen, 23, had six goals and 13 assists in 41 regular-season games with Vaxjo, ranking second among defencemen under the age of 24 in points per game (0.46). The six-foot, 185-pound Rosen has 33 points in 96 games in Sweden’s top league.

Borgman, 21, had five goals ganes 10 assists in 45 regular-season games with HV71 and was named the rookie of the year. The 6-foot, 210-pound Borgman was considered the 36th best skater out of Europe in the 2013 NHL draft by Central Scouting.

The Leafs have a number of holes to fill on the blue line, with Roman Polak and Matt Hunwick hitting unrestricted free agency on July 1. There’s also a chance that one of Martin Marincin, Alexey Marchenko or Connor Carrick could be plucked by the Vegas Golden Knights in the expansion draft.

“It adds to our depth,” Lamoriello said. “They’re young, they have experience.”
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/20 ... gents.html
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6224 posts
486 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:15 am
Sure. I'll reserve judgement on them until after seeing how they play. And hey, if they have a strong rookie season maybe we can give them 7 year contracts too...
They both have less experience than Zaitsev, so if they wanna sign 7 yr 2-2.5mil contracts, by all means, do it up. lol
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1039 posts
144 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:08 am
They both have less experience than Zaitsev, so if they wanna sign 7 yr 2-2.5mil contracts, by all means, do it up. lol
If that happens, yikes.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6224 posts
486 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:36 am
If that happens, yikes.
7 yrs on 2 way contracts and only around 2 mil isnt gonna happen for these guys. Even if they play just ok, they'll get more eventually, with more experience.

What this tells me though is they expect Hunwick to be gone, possibly only Polak resign as a show of faith after breaking his leg. Possibly both might be gone though.

Carrick is out for sure at this point. Ditto for Marincin I would think.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1039 posts
144 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:19 am
7 yrs on 2 way contracts and only around 2 mil isnt gonna happen for these guys. Even if they play just ok, they'll get more eventually, with more experience.

What this tells me though is they expect Hunwick to be gone, possibly only Polak resign as a show of faith after breaking his leg. Possibly both might be gone though.

Carrick is out for sure at this point. Ditto for Marincin I would think.
I'll play the percentages and say that we won't get that lucky again to have both of these new swedish defensemen turn out Zaitsev-like rookie campaigns. There's a reason why guys get undrafted. If one of these Swedish defensemen makes the team, I'd say that's a success.

This is also the reason why I think Hunwick or Polak will be resigned. We've got Reilly, Gardner, Zaitsev as the top 3, leaving bottom 3 spots plus the 7th man open. Let's say that everything works in our favour and both Swedish defensemen make the team. And let's suppose Dermott proves himself at camp, so let's put him in for the 6th spot. Carrick, Marchenko, and Marincin will go back to the Marlies (hopefully) in this best case scenario. That leaves the 7th spot open and I think Babs would want a solid veteran guy to fill that spot. Hunwick may cost more, but Polak is coming off a nasty injury. I'd say one of these guys will be resigned.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6224 posts
486 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:27 am
I'll play the percentages and say that we won't get that lucky again to have both of these new swedish defensemen turn out Zaitsev-like rookie campaigns. There's a reason why guys get undrafted. If one of these Swedish defensemen makes the team, I'd say that's a success.

This is also the reason why I think Hunwick or Polak will be resigned. We've got Reilly, Gardner, Zaitsev as the top 3, leaving bottom 3 spots plus the 7th man open. Let's say that everything works in our favour and both Swedish defensemen make the team. And let's suppose Dermott proves himself at camp, so let's put him in for the 6th spot. Carrick, Marchenko, and Marincin will go back to the Marlies (hopefully) in this best case scenario. That leaves the 7th spot open and I think Babs would want a solid veteran guy to fill that spot. Hunwick may cost more, but Polak is coming off a nasty injury. I'd say one of these guys will be resigned.
There'll be a trade for D 100% in the off season. Either with the Preds or Ducks, and you'll likely either see JVR gone or see the 1st round pick + a prospect gone. So you can count on there being a top 4 of sorts.

Apparently 1 of the 2 new guys is projected as a top 4 and the other as a bottom pairing guy. So we'll see how the dice roll. We also still have Carrick which is a decent plug in the season but weak in the playoffs.

At minimum we'll have 1 more new D come in from a trade.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3626 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
Buggy166 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 7:22 pm
There'll be a trade for D 100% in the off season. Either with the Preds or Ducks, and you'll likely either see JVR gone or see the 1st round pick + a prospect gone. So you can count on there being a top 4 of sorts.

Apparently 1 of the 2 new guys is projected as a top 4 and the other as a bottom pairing guy. So we'll see how the dice roll. We also still have Carrick which is a decent plug in the season but weak in the playoffs.

At minimum we'll have 1 more new D come in from a trade.
I've been a JVR supporter for a while and have wanted to keep him on the Leafs all these years, but now I think I'm in trade him crowd as he seems to have plateaued as a 20-30 goal, 50-60 pt guy and we have plenty of young wingers who could replace some of his offense while providing more in other areas. People keep saying trade JVR for a legit top 4 Dman and I'm all on board with that if other teams are willing to do so.

Also I'm happy that the Leafs are looking all over the place for good young players that have potential to help the Leafs. Borgman looks like he has good potential and Rosen looks OK. Both are free prospects and I'm glad that the Leafs are doing this more now and raising the likelihood that at least a few of these kind of gambles will eventually pay off and turn into good NHL players.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel