• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2017 4:50 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6412 posts
624 upvotes
Babo wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:05 pm
Anyone else like the pick? Some risk, but lots of upside!!

At 17, youre getting the risk of a top 10, previously top 5 pick. Which is ridiculous.

He was projected potential top 5 before he got sick.

At 17, most times youd be lucky to get a good AHLer, this guy might be a legit top 4 dman in a handful of years.

Leafs got real lucky imo.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3202 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
Great signings by the buds today. Only question the Canucks, where are they going? Apparently nowhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3303 posts
1939 upvotes
North Vancouver
zalapski wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 6:49 pm
Only question the Canucks, where are they going? Apparently nowhere.
Rebuilding. The signings were cheap, with no NTCs and not much risk. They're filling roster spots that were held by AHL fodder last year but not giving in to the delusion of competing.

Another year of mediocrity, but at least they're acknowledging it unlike last year.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1348 posts
666 upvotes
Yep they're just filling in spots so they don't look like they're "deliberately tanking" the season. Most of the prospects are not ready to step into NHL roles so they need guys to play for a couple more years before the prospects are ready. Plus if they are ready, can always trade these journeymen near trade deadline.
Current Fido/Koodo customer. Great to be a Fido and Koodo Customer.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18035 posts
3129 upvotes
Thornhill
Every other team has appeared to improve, but the Leafs haven't made any moves that improve them. I think they are banking on a full season of experience and a full summer of training and tactics to improve the team, which isn't a bad option.

The only problem is that, we didn't suffer any major injuries, if any of our top players gets injured, it might be bad. The depth is there, but they lack NHL experience.

The Leafs are a wild card next year, it could end up either way. McBackup/Sparky, a missing top 4 D, any of the big 3 - we've got ourselves in a mess. But if we could get a callup to tough it out and things work out, awesome. But lets be realistic here, no rookie will match what the big 3 did last year.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4047 posts
598 upvotes
Breaking news.

Toronto Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau 3 years AAV of 6.25M.
Dec 26, 2003
731 posts
249 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Leafs have a Captain now until one of the kids are ready
Fido
Koodo
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4149 posts
408 upvotes
Mississauga
why do we want a 37 year old for 3 years at $6mil....sigh... i thought it wasn't bad if it was 6 mil total...lol
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
If this gets Hyman off the 1st line I'm all for it. Seriously, 3 years hurts.
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Dec 26, 2003
731 posts
249 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
blexann wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 7:52 pm
If this gets Hyman off the 1st line I'm all for it. Seriously, 3 years hurts.
They'll probably just buy him out last year if he declines in performance. Contract is setup that way to give the Leafs a bit of an out.
Fido
Koodo
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
Primetyme wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 7:57 pm
They'll probably just buy him out last year if he declines in performance. Contract is setup that way to give the Leafs a bit of an out.
there's a no movement clause in his contract
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Dec 26, 2003
731 posts
249 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
blexann wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 8:15 pm
there's a no movement clause in his contract
You can still buy him out even with no move clause in his contract. Only time you cannot do a buyout is if the player is injured. I think Marleau still has 2 seasons left in him and who cares about the money, after next year a ton of Leafs contracts will be off the books with Lupul, Bozak, JVR and Komorov all done their contracts which leaves the Leafs with over $16 million so you can pay the younger core.

Waivers? What if they have a no-move clause?
A player with a no-move must be presented with the option to be put on unconditional waivers when being bought out, but the buy-out still goes forward if they say no. Players have 24 hours to decide when given this option.

https://www.silversevensens.com/2015/6/ ... sher-guide
Fido
Koodo
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16381 posts
903 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Primetyme wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 7:57 pm
I doubt he'll be bought out, my guess is he'll end up on Robida Island. Lou has some weird power over NHL players. Not entirely sure what he has on them.

I heard that the contract was front loaded, but I can't find any info on that.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3684 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
Lets hope Marleau can be like Jagr and still be effective as he gets older. I like the signing but not loving it. Seems like if this was just a one or two contract most people would be happy, but because of that third year all of a sudden its not so good. The money is about right as you probably don't expect a guy like Marleau to take a big pay cut, so overall not a great signing, but not horrible either as he seems to be very durable and people say he can play a two way game.

Heck maybe we can trade Bozak or JVR or both now and play Marleau as 2nd line C.

Also wanted to say not a fan of the Hainsey signing. Don't know why don't either go get a legit top 4 Dman or else we go with the guys we got and then see how they do. Wouldn't mind trying a Rosen/Dermott/Borgman bottom pairing or even give Marchenko a try. Hainsey seems like a pointless signing but I guess we'll see.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(