Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
last minute club was a joke, none of the links worked and when it did there were no tickets available. Good thing I have a few tickets but now looks like some of my friends might not make it argh.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
Travelzoo had Marlies playoff tickets for $20 & up :) They might actually win a round or two
💡😃😂😄
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
matdwyer wrote: Yup. It would be interesting to imagine the leafs playing in a skydome sized arena with twice the seating. If it was possible, this market could sell it.

Also, to put it in perspective, the Bell Centre is 1500 seats more (21,273) than the ACC. Winnipeg, on the other side of the of the coin is only 15,004 - and bundled with their demand has created ridiculous ticket prices there (to the point of leafs levels).

If the leafs could play in a rink with 30,000 seats even and have 10,000 as reasonably priced (i.e. between $65-$100) that would give access to everyone who wanted to go, but I doubt for tuesday night games against the hurricanes in november sell out. It's all supply and demand
I think in future years, to meet market demand MLSE should explore having an annual game on the Rogers Skydome if it works well the first time there. I think you could fit close to 50K there and could give those who don't normally get the opportunity to go a game .... at least 30K more people.

Long term, the solution is obvious, place a second NHL team in the GTA area, whether it be in Markham or at the ACC.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
If anyone is looking you can still get tickets in Montreal, $271 each. Decent deal
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
VCR wrote: I think in future years, to meet market demand MLSE should explore having an annual game on the Rogers Skydome if it works well the first time there. I think you could fit close to 50K there and could give those who don't normally get the opportunity to go a game .... at least 30K more people.

Long term, the solution is obvious, place a second NHL team in the GTA area, whether it be in Markham or at the ACC.
59k at a game would be insane. Rogers would not dilute the prices though so it would have to be an exhibition gfa,me or something. As far as another team, have them share the account? Who would wear the away jersey when they play? That would be an interesting foot note in nhlnhistory books.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
akz wrote: last minute club was a joke, none of the links worked and when it did there were no tickets available. Good thing I have a few tickets but now looks like some of my friends might not make it argh.
Apparently they sent the wrong link LOL!
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Supercooled wrote: 59k at a game would be insane. Rogers would not dilute the prices though so it would have to be an exhibition gfa,me or something. As far as another team, have them share the account? Who would wear the away jersey when they play? That would be an interesting foot note in nhlnhistory books.
The prices could remain more or less the same for "premium seats" i.e. the seats that have decent views but the main point of having an extra 30K would be that more fans have access to the games. MLSE could also offer discount prices on tickets for the nosebleeds seats and as part of their philanthropic goals donate blocks of tickets to charities, etcc.

As for a second team playing @ the ACC it will be similar to the arrangement that the LA Clippers / LA Lakers / LA Kings have @ Staples Center. :cool:
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

Dec 27, 2010
412 posts
191 upvotes
I'm pissed. I've been a last-minute club member for ages now and got nothing in the mail today. Was sitting there ready but nope, nothing.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
Mardos wrote: how is it possible that a minute after i logged on and nothing worked and after it worked all t here is left is solos ?
i find it really hard to believe all sold out htat fast
Not hard for me to believe at all. Regular season tickets don't take much longer than that to sell out when they go on sale(though they do release some tickets after the first sale date), and events with many more tickets to sell can sell out just as fast.

85% of the seats are season ticket holders, and a big chunk of the rest wouldn't be on sale to the general public. I'd be surprised if they had even 2000 seats for each game up for sale today, and there were a hell of a lot more than 4000 people looking for tickets today.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
BornRuff wrote: Not hard for me to believe at all. Regular season tickets don't take much longer than that to sell out when they go on sale(though they do release some tickets after the first sale date), and events with many more tickets to sell can sell out just as fast.

85% of the seats are season ticket holders, and a big chunk of the rest wouldn't be on sale to the general public. I'd be surprised if they had even 2000 seats for each game up for sale today, and there were a hell of a lot more than 4000 people looking for tickets today.
750 tickets went on sale today. 75,000 registered users for the 'Last minute club'.

GG
Dec 27, 2010
412 posts
191 upvotes
coriolis wrote: 750 tickets went on sale today. 75,000 registered users for the 'Last minute club'.

GG
Where'd you see that? Wonder if they're going to release tickets to future games to last minute users who didn't get in on these first few games.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
twistededge wrote: Where'd you see that? Wonder if they're going to release tickets to future games to last minute users who didn't get in on these first few games.
if it works the same way as it does in vancouver, on game days, a few tickets are released (typically reserved for league/away team personnel) that are not utilized.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
coriolis wrote: 750 tickets went on sale today. 75,000 registered users for the 'Last minute club'.

GG
Seems about right.

They should have tripled the cost of each ticket and let the market decided who bought them, rather than limited the access to a draw.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
matdwyer wrote: Seems about right.

They should have tripled the cost of each ticket and let the market decided who bought them, rather than limited the access to a draw.
Uh, NO ... they obviously aren't pricing their tickets to maximize profit. For good reason. There's something called optics. To price it ~3X would be even much more bad PR than they are getting for the 75% increase as it is right now. :cool:

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Haz wrote: Tickets for the Stanley Cup Finals at the ACC are from $2500 to $8500.

http://www.stubhub.com/toronto-maple-le ... 3-4261832/
lol ... who would be dumb enough to pay grossly inflated (scalper priced) tickets for games that have a 99.9% chance of not occurring? :cool:

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
On Apr 24th, 2013 07:31 PM (PT), VCR wrote:
VCR wrote: games like this [a 5-2 loss to Tampa] show why the leafs would be lucky to get to the playoffs, period.
So, speaking of "luck" .... I found this very interesting that this article on Forbes appeared today ....

re:

The Maple Leafs Are The NHL's Worst Playoff Team, And It Doesn't Matter

Chris Smith, Forbes Staff
I cover the business of sports.
4/25/2013 @ 10:09AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... nt-matter/

bold is my emphasis.
The Toronto Maple Leafs are a playoff team. It’s a simple and obvious fact, yet it also has fans celebrating in the streets. Why? This year will mark the Maple Leafs’ first postseason appearance since 2004, currently the longest playoff drought in the NHL.

There are seemingly countless stories illustrating just how long the nine years of futility have really felt for the team’s fans. My favorite: the Expos were still a team in 2004.
Some fans are so excited about the postseason push that they are petitioning to turn Toronto’s CN Tower into a 1,815-foot-tall goal light.
For the record, I added my own "story" as a "fun fact post" which, imo, was inexplicably deleted from this thread yesterday. :confused:

Which leads me to thinking this out loud:

Is there some sort of mass conspiracy that is being perpetrated by NOT only rfd's VCR, but the general MAINSTREAM media who are "unfairly" "trolling" and/or "flame baiting" Maple Leafs Fans?

I would like to answer my own question with a quote from Stephen A. Smith, "I mean come on, now."
Yet while fans get swept up the growing furor, some analysts have begun to point out that the Leafs, despite a 25-16-5 record, are actually not so great of a team. In fact, they may be one of the statistically worst playoff teams in years.

Toronto has been outshot by a significant margin this season, allowing a league-worst 33.3 shots against per 60 minutes played to just 25.9 for. The team also boasts the lowest Fenwick (a puck possession metric) and Corsi (differential of all shots directed on net) ratings. Not lowest among playoff teams, mind you, but all teams, including the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche – and their combined 71 points wouldn’t even lead the Western Conference.

Tack on the fact that the Leafs, according to advanced metric PDO, are the luckiest team in the league, and it starts becoming clear that Toronto’s performance this season is something of a fluke. Had we enjoyed a full 82-game season, the Maple Leafs’ postseason drought would likely be extending another year and head coach Randy Carlyle’s player mismanagement would look a whole lot worse.

That’s not good news for Toronto fans, but they can find solace in the fact that statistics hardly guarantee postseason doom, or success, for any team.

Just look at last year’s Pittsburgh Penguins, who ranked among the league’s best in pretty much every advanced metric and yet flamed out in the playoffs, losing in ugly fashion to the Flyers in the first round. Meanwhile the Coyotes and Rangers each made the Conference Finals despite middling underlying numbers.

In other words, anything can happen in the playoffs. As the Toronto Star‘s Dave Feschuk notes, other playoff teams with poor shot differentials like the ’95 Sharks, ’97 Sabres and ’02 Canadiens all made it out of the first round. The team’s fans and the league’s owners, both celebrating already, would rejoice if Toronto manages the same feat.

So while the Leafs don’t have the best odds for a deep postseason run – it’s worth noting that those Sharks, Sabres and Habs teams were all bounced in the second round – they certainly have a chance. Ask any Toronto fans that have been waiting for the last nine years, and they’ll likely tell you that a chance is all they want.
:cool:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Haz wrote: Tickets for the Stanley Cup Finals at the ACC are from $2500 to $8500.

http://www.stubhub.com/toronto-maple-le ... 3-4261832/
If I had $5000 sitting around I would buy that today.

I can guarantee that prices will be near there for a cup final if it happened here.

If they don't make the cup final, you get refunded 100%. No risk.

If they do make it, you have guaranteed tickets. Depending on the market you'll either have overpaid or you can resell at a peak and try to buy for lower - regardless, I think MANY leafs would be fine with paying 5000 to see the leafs win the stanley cup. I would, 100%.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
matdwyer wrote: If I had $5000 sitting around I would buy that today.

I can guarantee that prices will be near there for a cup final if it happened here.

If they don't make the cup final, you get refunded 100%. No risk.

If they do make it, you have guaranteed tickets. Depending on the market you'll either have overpaid or you can resell at a peak and try to buy for lower - regardless, I think MANY leafs would be fine with paying 5000 to see the leafs win the stanley cup. I would, 100%.
The thing is, there's no "guarantee" you would see them "win" the stanley cup. it's just an opportunity to see a leafs game played at the ACC in the stanley cup finals at a grossly inflated price.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)