• Mar 28th, 2024 9:35 pm
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
VCR wrote: If the Canucks didn't have a franchise goalie like Schneider,
LOL down boy!

The guy has never been a bonaifide starter in the league, let alone already a franchise goalie.
Potential is never a guarantee, just ask Steve Mason.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: I've been sort of puzzled by why some canucks fans are hyping up Schneider this much. The guy has never been a starter before, so nobody really knows how he will handle starting 60-70 games instead of 28.
I have a good feeling he'll do just fine. You just have to follow the team closely to understand. Gillis wouldn't even contemplate moving Lu if he felt Schneider wasn't the real deal.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
thrifthunter wrote: LOL down boy!

The guy has never been a bonaifide starter in the league, let alone already a franchise goalie.
Potential is never a guarantee, just ask Steve Mason.
Quote me in the future if I'm wrong. The fact remains, if they weren't convinced Schneider was going to be the franchise goalie for the long term, they wouldn't be looking to move Lu.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
VCR wrote: I have a good feeling he'll do just fine. You just have to follow the team closely to understand. Gillis wouldn't even contemplate moving Lu if he felt Schneider was the real deal.
VCR wrote: Quote me in the future if I'm wrong. The fact remains, if they weren't convinced Schneider was going to be the franchise goalie for the long term, they wouldn't be looking to move Lu.
Following a team closely can also put blinders on your objectivity. Schneider has put up good numbers as a backup, but he will have to start at least twice as many games next season if Lu is gone, which will be a real game changer.

I believe that this trade is heavily influenced by Gillis not believing that Lu is the guy who they can win a Stanley Cup with. Ya ya, he was there when they went to game 7 of the finals, but he cost them so many games along the way that it was kind of a miracle that they got that far. Based on how far they got in spite of all of Lu's meltdowns, it is easy to suggest that they might have won with a much more consistent goalie.

When you look at what happened this year in the playoffs, it really doesn't look like Lu is the one. If you have decided that he simply isn't the one, then it makes sense to take a gamble on someone else.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
VCR wrote: Quote me in the future if I'm wrong.
This is the future(as in an hour later). And you are wrong. He isn't a franchise goalie(present tense).
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: Following a team closely can also put blinders on your objectivity. Schneider has put up good numbers as a backup, but he will have to start at least twice as many games next season if Lu is gone, which will be a real game changer.

I believe that this trade is heavily influenced by Gillis not believing that Lu is the guy who they can win a Stanley Cup with. Ya ya, he was there when they went to game 7 of the finals, but he cost them so many games along the way that it was kind of a miracle that they got that far. Based on how far they got in spite of all of Lu's meltdowns, it is easy to suggest that they might have won with a much more consistent goalie.

When you look at what happened this year in the playoffs, it really doesn't look like Lu is the one. If you have decided that he simply isn't the one, then it makes sense to take a gamble on someone else.

I also think highly of Lu and believe he would be good enough to help the team win the SC. But I believe Schneider in the coming years will prove to be better. Schneider has always been always been a starter and excelled at every level before making it to the NHL. His numbers at the NHL level are impressive, consistent with what he's shown in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their best player MVP, next season.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
thrifthunter wrote: This is the future(as in an hour later). And you are wrong. He isn't a franchise goalie(present tense).
He will be, when he takes over as the number one goalie for a team coming off back to back President's Trophys' and a team considered a favourite for the SC next season.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
VCR wrote: I also think highly of Lu and believe he would be good enough to help the team win the SC. But I believe Schneider in the coming years will prove to be better. Schneider has always been always been a starter and excelled at every level before making it to the NHL. His numbers at the NHL level are impressive, consistent with what he's shown in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their best player MVP, next season.
What NHL goalie, starter or backup, wasn't a starter who excelled at every level before making it to the NHL?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: What NHL goalie, starter or backup, wasn't a starter who excelled at every level before making it to the NHL?
Everything's relative. He's posted numbers that put him in the elite category at virtually every level compared to his peers at a similar age.

As a "back up" last season in the NHL, with 33 starts (including playing in tough, high profile games like the game against Boston), he ended up top three in GAA, and save percentage.

Look at the numbers, the other top young goalies who hasn't established as a number one, Rask and Bernier but up and compare them to Schneider. A few years ago, they were lumped together as the top three, but it's pretty clear that he's ascended beyond them.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
VCR wrote: He will be, when he takes over as the number one goalie for a team coming off back to back President's Trophys' and a team considered a favourite for the SC next season.
No he won't. There is too much pressure on him for those reasons and he has literally zero experience being a full time starting goalie in the NHL. He'll be burnt out before the playoffs start!
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
thrifthunter wrote: No he won't. There is too much pressure on him for those reasons and he has literally zero experience being a full time starting goalie in the NHL. He'll be burnt out before the playoffs start!
Well, we'll see, if next season isn't cancelled!
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
VCR wrote: Everything's relative. He's posted numbers that put him in the elite category at virtually every level compared to his peers at a similar age.

As a "back up" last season in the NHL, with 33 starts (including playing in tough, high profile games like the game against Boston), he ended up top three in GAA, and save percentage.

Look at the numbers, the other top young goalies who hasn't established as a number one, Rask and Bernier but up and compare them to Schneider. A few years ago, they were lumped together as the top three, but it's pretty clear that he's ascended beyond them.
There is probably something to the fact that the other save percentage leader also didn't play all that many games.

There is no question that Schneider has talent and potential. Calling him a franchise goalie at this point is certainly premature though.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: There is probably something to the fact that the other save percentage leader also didn't play all that many games.

There is no question that Schneider has talent and potential. Calling him a franchise goalie at this point is certainly premature though.
He's been handed the reigns as the number one goalie on a B2B President's Trophy winning team. Taking over from the prevous franchise goalie who was given a lifetime contract just a few seasons ago. This wasn't an easy decision but his play made it pretty evident that such a bold move was the one to take the "chance" on.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
VCR wrote: He's been handed the reigns as the number one goalie on a B2B President's Trophy winning team. Taking over from the prevous franchise goalie who was given a lifetime contract just a few seasons ago. This wasn't an easy decision but his play made it pretty evident that such a bold move was the one to take the "chance" on.
Are you not even going to consider Luongo's role in all this?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: Are you not even going to consider Luongo's role in all this?
I've considered everything. I would be fine with Lu, going forward if they didn't have a goalie of Schneider's potential. I've said this before, but it won't be long before he'll be recognized as one of the top goalies in the world. Other analysts like Hockey Night's Hrudey also share this opinion. The goalie position only affords one to play at any time, therefore a decision had to be made and was with the re-signing of Schneider today for 3y/4m cap hit.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
VCR wrote: I've considered everything. I would be fine with Lu, going forward if they didn't have a goalie of Schneider's potential. I've said this before, but it won't be long before he'll be recognized as one of the top goalies in the world. Other analysts like Hockey Night's Hrudey also share this opinion. The goalie position only affords one to play at any time, therefore a decision had to be made and was with the re-signing of Schneider today for 3y/4m cap hit.
Good thing you are not getting ahead of yourself, lol.

There is a reason why there have been openings for him to start in the playoffs the past two years.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: Last I heard, Florida wants Gillis to take a big contract back in this deal.

I don't know how you can really argue that his contract is not a negative factor in this deal. Without the huge amount of money owing and a NTC, there wouldn't be all that much to discuss. The deal would have closed weeks ago.
Now that Schneider has re-signed for three years, I think they are now comfortable with moving Lu for the best offer.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: Good thing you are not getting ahead of yourself, lol.

There is a reason why there have been openings for him to start in the playoffs the past two years.
That's because he was considered good enough to play him in such situations. I'm sure the Pens wish they had someone like him last season.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)