Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:43 am
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
Dang, leafs #21.. Oh well, deep draft this year apparently..
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
Carnage wrote:Well at least with the new cap th Leafs will have lots of money to eat contracts with.
That's a one time only thing.. But they'll need it seeing as they're probably in the worst position of any team.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
The leafs are screwed. Just look at the Raptors.....same top-level management, similar cap now for the Leafs. No good prospects in the pipeline. Now they can't spend their way out of crappy scouting.

Leaf fans, have fun waiting for the cup, I doubt you'll even make the playoffs this year.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
26 upvotes
TheDude79 wrote:The leafs are screwed. Just look at the Raptors.....same top-level management, similar cap now for the Leafs. No good prospects in the pipeline. Now they can't spend their way out of crappy scouting.

Leaf fans, have fun waiting for the cup, I doubt you'll even make the playoffs this year.
Leafs aren't the only team with money problems. Even so, it's not as if they've got a bunch of Antropovs eating up all their money. They still have an OK core of players. As for their prospects, Colaiacavo(sp?), Stajan, some defenseman and others I can't remember (1 year absense will do that to you) are all alright. Not make the playoffs? I don't think that many teams are going to improve that drastically to knock Toronto out.
i think this line's mostly filler
Dec 25, 2001
881 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I love Leaf fans, always good for a chuckle.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
I think all us leaf fans should just accept that MLSE knows they will make money hand over fist regardless of whether the Leafs win or not. Granted, they don't want to be near the bottom like they were for a while there, but they really don't have to have the same kind of dedication to building a winning franchise that a team like, say, detroit or colorado does.

Kind of frustrating, but we'd better accept it ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
26 upvotes
Read in the Star today that whatever happens with the Leafs/Nolan, only the $3.8mil will count against the cap. Didn't really bother reading the details and what not, but the league will only be counting the 3.8 and not 12 or whatever Nolan ends up getting paid.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Even with the 3.8 million against the cap, Nolan would be the most hated player ever to wear the leafs jersey. With surgery, it would take a good year for him to play again...why be a prick. I don't understand why he wouldnt accept a buy out.

Something else must be going on...this situation is very bizarre
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
i doubt leafs wont make the playoffs when now 20 teams instead of 16 will enter them..lol
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Buggy166 wrote:i doubt leafs wont make the playoffs when now 20 teams instead of 16 will enter them..lol
This proposed playoff expansion won't be in effect this season. It'll be discussed further later on.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know if ticket prices are coming down for the Leafs?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
it's a question that has been answered by leaf management..."not going up or down"
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto's not a weakling hockey market that is desperate and needs to win fans back. There will always be people, even if people do want to "get back" at the team by not buying tickets. There's no shortage of Leafs fans in Toronto, so there is no real reason why management would bother lowering prices. Just to be nice guys? Yeah right.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:Even with the 3.8 million against the cap, Nolan would be the most hated player ever to wear the leafs jersey. With surgery, it would take a good year for him to play again...why be a prick. I don't understand why he wouldnt accept a buy out.

Something else must be going on...this situation is very bizarre
my guess it that he wants the full value of his contract honoured, not just the buyout amount.

pure speculation, but methinks nolan knows he is finished, and would not be able to sign a contract anywhere else, anyways. once the deal is done, he will retire. he's just trying to maximize what will probably be his last paycheck. he'll probably never skate another shift in the bigs.

it'll be interesting to see if the leafs management suddenly gets a lot smarter than they have been in the past. with the new financial restraints, let's hope they start making smart decisions with their personnel (but who are we kidding?)

i don't see the leafs being competitive for at least five years. . .providing they make some smart draft picks in the immediate future
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
othy wrote:I think all us leaf fans should just accept that MLSE knows they will make money hand over fist regardless of whether the Leafs win or not. Granted, they don't want to be near the bottom like they were for a while there, but they really don't have to have the same kind of dedication to building a winning franchise that a team like, say, detroit or colorado does.

Kind of frustrating, but we'd better accept it ;)
i think all three teams, colorado, detroit and toronto are going to be facing some serious challenges in the near future. even though the salary structure has been massively shifted downward, it is going to require some damn fine management for these traditional 'powerhouses' to remain competitive.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
afong56 wrote:i think all three teams, colorado, detroit and toronto are going to be facing some serious challenges in the near future. even though the salary structure has been massively shifted downward, it is going to require some damn fine management for these traditional 'powerhouses' to remain competitive.
Well, at least detroit has an amazing scouting staff and has some great young players in Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Fischer.. Providing they can sign Zetterberg and Datsyuk, which they will. They will probably keep Chelios and Yzerman (if he still wants to play!) but the rest of their UFAs can be given up without much fanfare..

Colorado will have a tougher time, but they have arguably one of the best GMs around today in Lecroix, so if anyone can make it happen it is him.. Ferguson Jr is somewhat untested still in my view so who knows, he could make it happen.. Having Paul Maurice coaching the Jr squad is a step in the right direction for building fot the future, though..
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
afong56 wrote:my guess it that he wants the full value of his contract honoured, not just the buyout amount.

pure speculation, but methinks nolan knows he is finished, and would not be able to sign a contract anywhere else, anyways. once the deal is done, he will retire. he's just trying to maximize what will probably be his last paycheck. he'll probably never skate another shift in the bigs......
Completely agreed. Nolan knows he's done. If he was to play again in this new landscape he would be a what ?... mill, 2 million dollar player. Plus who would take a chance on this often injured player. I'd take a chance on Lindros before I take Nolan. Nolan's just trying to milk it for all he can while he can. Why play for 5-6 years to get 12 mill ( in todays market) when you can just do nothing and get it right now. He's probably the biggest leaf flop that I can think of in the last 10 years. Feel free to suggest others.

Nolan total career goals 349 in 15 season = 23.6 goals average per season.

Crappy numbers for a player who's suppose to be a power forward. His best year was his contract year with San Jose with 44. He's scored a TOTAL of 26 goals in 2 years for the leaf.

All hype no substance. Can't see why the press is so high on him.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
1669 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
I'm sure glad I'm not a Canucks fan.....Big Bert want's out. Naslund will be gone for sure....And Dan Cloutier starting in goal..... Now the leafs don't look so bad do they.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1309 posts
48 upvotes
Hanniganite wrote:Toronto's not a weakling hockey market that is desperate and needs to win fans back. There will always be people, even if people do want to "get back" at the team by not buying tickets. There's no shortage of Leafs fans in Toronto, so there is no real reason why management would bother lowering prices. Just to be nice guys? Yeah right.
Especially when their modus operandi is to make money. As long as they are owned by the Teachers Pension, profit comes before the Cup !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)