Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 5:19 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23190 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
kramerz80 wrote: Or the first of many to come...

I'm glad they are stepping out of the norm and trying something new, whether it works or not we'll see. The old way hasn't worked here for a while so this is a little refreshing at least.
The old way haven't worked for more than 4 decades.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23190 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
charliebrown wrote: Bye bye Caryle during/after this season?
Jimboski wrote: Carlyle is a coach not a GM. It would be Nonis that's going to be gone if anything.
It's probably safe to say that if the Leafs don't qualify for the playoffs next year, then Nonis and Carlyle will be gone.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Can you change the title of this thread? This thread is for Leaf fans, not bandwagonners.

Love the signings, anyone vaguely familiar with hockey should feel the same.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Can you change the title of this thread? This thread is for Leaf fans, not bandwagonners.

no love for what he did, or shall i say didn't do, with the pens?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
I really do hope the Leafs finish with a terrible enough record for a chance to draft first. This team needs a superstar. No more signing washed up freeloaders who only care about those final paycheques of their NHL careers. After watching the Stanley Cup playoffs in the spring, you really do notice how far away this team really is from being a contender. We need Connor McDavid!!!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Gardiner signed for 5 years at 4 million per. Not bad as long as he can keep improving. :)
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
4M a year for a duster on D? We don't need 2 Riellys.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
squadz wrote: Can you change the title of this thread? This thread is for Leaf fans, not bandwagonners.

im totally excited...another attempt to rebuild...

I can be 100% wrong but the previous attempts have all been bring in a guy that attempts to rebuild from scratch...then the media/fans/corporate leader starts to expect results after 3 years...fails and attempts to rebuild again.

signing? all i see is clearing up cap space and looking forward to a great draft pick
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23190 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
iamskyhigh wrote: I really do hope the Leafs finish with a terrible enough record for a chance to draft first. This team needs a superstar. No more signing washed up freeloaders who only care about those final paycheques of their NHL careers. After watching the Stanley Cup playoffs in the spring, you really do notice how far away this team really is from being a contender. We need Connor McDavid!!!!!
lol! No doubt that the Leafs have a long way to go before they can compete against teams like LA or Chicago. I doubt the Leafs are going to tank next season regardless of who's going to be in next year's draft. There's no doubt in my mind that McDavid will end up playing in the US. It's been a long time since we have a potential Canadian superstar playing in Canada. Stamkos might sign with the Leafs after 2016 if they show him the money.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
iamskyhigh wrote: I really do hope the Leafs finish with a terrible enough record for a chance to draft first. This team needs a superstar. No more signing washed up freeloaders who only care about those final paycheques of their NHL careers. After watching the Stanley Cup playoffs in the spring, you really do notice how far away this team really is from being a contender. We need Connor McDavid!!!!!
Who are these freeloaders?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
thelefteyeguy wrote: im totally excited...another attempt to rebuild...

I can be 100% wrong but the previous attempts have all been bring in a guy that attempts to rebuild from scratch...then the media/fans/corporate leader starts to expect results after 3 years...fails and attempts to rebuild again.

signing? all i see is clearing up cap space and looking forward to a great draft pick
There hasn't been a true rebuild in Toronto in a very lonnnnnnnnnng time, we're talking decades now. Every GM that steps in here does not try to rebuild. They try to dress & bandage wounds, repackage and set it. Has not worked here one bit. I along with many fans have been patiently waiting for a rebuild to actually happen, but I don't see it ever happening here. We're just gonna keep plugging those leaks and hope the ship doesn't sink to the bottom. The boat will always be half full of water but not enough so that it sinks, just enough to keep it barely afloat unfortunately. Rinse and repeat. Sad.

Also I don't understand where you see us clearing cap space and looking forward to a great pick? We are at the cap right now, and looking to next year we will have $15M + whatever increase in cap to (re-)sign 9 players, which will include at least 1 top 6 forward and a #1 goalie. Not a lot of money to spend there.

Annnnnd the great pick? I hope you were being sarcastic. We won't be at the bottom of the standings with this team, not low enough for a great pick anyways. I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic in all this lol.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
iamskyhigh wrote: David Clarkson, David Booth, Stephane Robidas, Daniel Winnik.
Clarkson is a maybe only cause he previous few years were good. Robidas was brought in as the stable veteran presence. Can't call him a freeloader.

Booth and Winnik are definitely not free loaders. They are in here to compete for jobs. I suspect Winnik will make the team. What is your definition of freeloader. The fact you consider two guys who are only making 1mil each freeloaders makes me question your judgement here.

In response to the 'rebuild' talk, they don't always work especially with coming in last to draft top forwards. So far it hasn't worked for Edmonton and it hasn't worked for a lot of teams in a long time. This team in my opinion has improved. No one can say the top 6 was bad or the problem. The problem was defence and the bottom six unit. With the guys brought in, the bottom six is now over full capacity and I think is much better for it. Most likely guys like Orr and McLaren will be with the Marlies.

I also think the defense is much more balanced now and hopefully that plays out nicely on the ice.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
kramerz80 wrote: There hasn't been a true rebuild in Toronto in a very lonnnnnnnnnng time, we're talking decades now. Every GM that steps in here does not try to rebuild. They try to dress & bandage wounds, repackage and set it. Has not worked here one bit. I along with many fans have been patiently waiting for a rebuild to actually happen, but I don't see it ever happening here. We're just gonna keep plugging those leaks and hope the ship doesn't sink to the bottom. The boat will always be half full of water but not enough so that it sinks, just enough to keep it barely afloat unfortunately. Rinse and repeat. Sad.
called me sceptical...i see no evidence of a true rebuild, unless Shanny gets a contract for 10 years...maybe...come 3 years....everyone on the board will ask him what values he's added.

5 years is not even close to bringing a playoff team to the Leafs right now if this plan is for a "true rebuild" i think the LEafs rank pretty much on the bottom on the number of valuable prospects.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
I can pretty much guarantee most people complaining here, will be back on the bandwagon 4 months from today, mark it November 30th...lol
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
bobcat99 wrote: I can pretty much guarantee most people complaining here, will be back on the bandwagon 4 months from today, mark it November 30th...lol
started this thread in 2005...you are free to blindly cheer or criticize :) or the team ...but at end of the day, im a Leafs fan.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
thelefteyeguy wrote: called me sceptical...i see no evidence of a true rebuild, unless Shanny gets a contract for 10 years...maybe...come 3 years....everyone on the board will ask him what values he's added.

5 years is not even close to bringing a playoff team to the Leafs right now if this plan is for a "true rebuild" i think the LEafs rank pretty much on the bottom on the number of valuable prospects.
I think we're in limbo right now as we've been for a long time. Going into the season they seem to be on the bubble, might make the playoffs, might not. I'm sick of being in this spot year after year, I wish something would change. There was a time there that we knew we were for sure not making the playoffs, but we always played ourselves out of a good draft pick. We can't win well and we can't lose well either, we're doomed.

As far as prospects go I think we're in a much better position now than in a long while, but still not at the level I'd like to see. Guys like Rielly, Gardiner, and Nylander show some promise. Then we have some unkowns in Gauthier, Finn, Brown and Granberg, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them I think we'll be lucky if one of those guys turn out to be anything better than a 3rd liner. Sure Brown led the OHL in scoring, but he was a 19 year old playing against guys mostly younger than him, so I won't give that much weight. The second leading scorer in the OHL was his teammate and he wasn't even drafted. We can pretty much bank on guys like Biggs and Percy to be duds, and Ashton won't be more than a 3rd/4th liner.

We're lucky enough to have a core that is still young. The only problem that I see is that the core isn't very strong beyond Kessel & JVR. We need a core with more talent & upside than what we have, and we have some very big holes that we haven't filled in years. We still need a true #1 centre, and we still need a true #1 defenceman, and a true team captain. Bozak & Phaneuf are not acceptable players in those roles period. IMO the four most important roles on any hockey team are (in no particular order) the captain, #1 centre, #1 dman and goalie. I look at this team and I can honestly say we definitely don't have 3 right off the bat, and the last one is still a question mark (goalie).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
bobcat99 wrote: I can pretty much guarantee most people complaining here, will be back on the bandwagon 4 months from today, mark it November 30th...lol
We're in here complaining because we are fans, plain and simple. I guarantee that just because I complain more than you or anyone else on this forum it does not make me any less of a fan. The way I see it, it just makes me a better fan for wanting to see better results from my team. I don't wanna see them lose year after year, seems like some fans are ok with it but I'd personally rather see someone in the blue & white lift that cup one day. Will I be cheering for them come November 30th? Hell ya, just like I have been for the last 30+ years.

I have an understanding of the game, and I can see that we are in no position to be much of a threat yet again this coming year. I am a realist, and I will tell it like it is. God forbid I actually wanna see the Leafs win. :facepalm:

I'll take your guarantee and I'll raise you one. I guarantee that come next April/May all the players, coaches and fans will be disappointed after another unacceptable season. The only ones that will be truly happy are the owners. I'd happy as a pig in ***** if I'm wrong, but history tends to repeat itself here in Toronto.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)