Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:43 am
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Grabo way overpaid. I am glad that he resigned though. Although he's probably a 60 point player at best, he has character. Dude plays like he's a lot bigger than he is, he's not afraid to go into the corners and he works hard. Same can't be said for the majority of the team.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
That's a ridiculous contract for an average second line centre! This is merely Burke trying to create a stroy to deflect blame from his failing season and inability to do anything worthwhile at the deadline. Grabovski's agent must be laughing his way to the bank!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Hell yeah! I'm glad Grabo is signed but he can always be dealt if the right offer comes along, i.e Nash. I heard he's still on Toronto's agenda. If we look at what Leafs pay some of the bums on this team, I think $5.5mil. is a steal.

Regarding that interview with John Moore, that was classic. Caught BB off guard and he didn't have an intelligent rebuttal except calling Moore's question cheap shot and gutless. Haha! And he was at one point or another a lawyer? Must be for a kangaroo court.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
Maxman wrote: That's a ridiculous contract for an average second line centre! This is merely Burke trying to create a stroy to deflect blame from his failing season and inability to do anything worthwhile at the deadline. Grabovski's agent must be laughing his way to the bank!

And the fact that he gave him a limited no trade is something that BB said he would not do when he came here. Seems he started to panic.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
coriolis wrote: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=620781

Grabo signs a 5 year extension. No terms on the $$$$ yet.

5 years 5.5 Million per, Grabo's getting paid more than Kessel LOL!

Though, he was a pending UFA, he'd probably get more on the open market (considering a UFA Leino who had one stellar season got 6 years 27 million), Grabo, who's entering his prime, UFA centremen who averages 50~ points and is 50% on the face-off circle. A bit more than what I would of preferred but at least we got him signed.

Where did you get that figure? I hope it wasn't from some asshat on Facebook commenting. $5.5 is a lot of money and more disconcerting is the bump from his $3.xx ? Which is a ridiculous raise. I think a $4-4.5 would have been more than just.

Anyway, a lot of points were made about the length of the contract. I think 5 years is way to long but Grabo's agent probably said he wants a long deal so he can potentially finish his career here but the smart bit on the GM's part is there are (supposedly) no clauses so that's a out for them. Like I said before, I don't think Kessel is a better, all around player so him making more than Kessel is fine by me. Grabo might score for you and stop the other team from scoring to tie it up; I can't say that about Kessel.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Im a Grabo fan, so Im glad they signed him...but IMO the contract is a little rich in either length or dollars. For that money, it looks like more of a 3 yr contract to me.

Or if the duration was important to him, I think the dollar value should be in the $4M area per yr. on a 5 yr term.

But whatever, TML always overpays.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote: Im a Grabo fan, so Im glad they signed him...but IMO the contract is a little rich in either length or dollars. For that money, it looks like more of a 3 yr contract to me.

Or if the duration was important to him, I think the dollar value should be in the $4M area per yr. on a 5 yr term.

But whatever, TML always overpays.

Crosby has just been cleared for contact. So he'll probably be back on the weekend.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
PCDawg wrote: Crosby has just been cleared for contact. So he'll probably be back on the weekend.

the question remains....for how many games?
I've lost interest in Crosby. The next Gretzky? More like the next Forsberg/Kariya. He's like a Ferrari thats always in the shop on the hoist, or cant be taken out on rainy days.
That whole crosby vs OV debate looks foolish now. The real deal all the time was Stamkos.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
PCDawg wrote: I was puzzled at that as well. I had an acquaintance in Colorado and asked him about Finger and he said he was a nobody. The Colorado media and fans were scratching their heads about this signing as well. Apparently Fletcher due to his old age had a mental block had signed the wrong player. The Colorado player that the Leafs were suppose to be after was Kurt Sauer.

Sauer was the shut down d-man and often enough on the ice whenever the opposing first liners were up. He was the #2 defenseman behind Adam Foote at that time.

A huge mistake by the CLiff FLetcher.

The leafs have too many teams to chase after for the 8th spot. Unless they pull a Phoenix hot streak, they will be having a hard time keeping pace with those 4 teams already running ahead of them and Carolina nipping on our tails trailing us by 2 points.

Cliff Fletcher was a special advisor with Phoenix and he was let go because they knew he was starting to show signs of cognitive disfunction. It was known around the league, and there were even reports of it in the media at the time. Yet the Leafs decided to hire him as their GM!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote: the question remains....for how many games?
I've lost interest in Crosby. The next Gretzky? More like the next Forsberg/Kariya. He's like a Ferrari thats always in the shop on the hoist, or cant be taken out on rainy days.
That whole crosby vs OV debate looks foolish now. The real deal all the time was Stamkos.
Stamkos can only score goals. He's not a game changer ir carry the team to the next level.
Maxman wrote: Cliff Fletcher was a special advisor with Phoenix and he was let go because they knew he was starting to show signs of cognitive disfunction. It was known around the league, and there were even reports of it in the media at the time. Yet the Leafs decided to hire him as their GM!

LOL CLiff is still an advisor for the Leafs. Though his tenure as a Leafs GM has made him a god as he mastermind the trade with Calgary and fleeced them for Gilmour.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Where did you get that figure? I hope it wasn't from some asshat on Facebook commenting. $5.5 is a lot of money and more disconcerting is the bump from his $3.xx ? Which is a ridiculous raise. I think a $4-4.5 would have been more than just.

Anyway, a lot of points were made about the length of the contract. I think 5 years is way to long but Grabo's agent probably said he wants a long deal so he can potentially finish his career here but the smart bit on the GM's part is there are (supposedly) no clauses so that's a out for them. Like I said before, I don't think Kessel is a better, all around player so him making more than Kessel is fine by me. Grabo might score for you and stop the other team from scoring to tie it up; I can't say that about Kessel.

Seems like a terrible move to me. The team obviously needs to make some significant additions to this group over the next few years if they want to be a real contender, and locking up guys like this for this kind of money just makes it that much harder.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
I like Grabo but way overpaid...what else is new with this team?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: I like Grabo but way overpaid...what else is new with this team?

We will probably be talking about Grabbo like we talk about Komiserek in a few years.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
at least he's a good 2-way player, unlike komi. How long are we stuck with komi?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1514 posts
10 upvotes
Sudbury
So, this pretty much rules out any chance of signing a decent UFA this summer unless a trade is made to move Komisarek or Phaneuf or Kessel, etc.

Burke just chewed up $2.4 million worth of Cap space when the team only had $15 million for 10 players. Now with Liles and Grabovski signed to ridiculous contracts, Burkie has 17 player signed and only $7.5 million in projected cap space! Kulemin is likely gone as an RFA, Frattin and Franson are also RFA, and Gustaffson will be gone as UFA, with ???? replacing him. They need to sign at least 5 players to fill the roster, and this doesn't include projecting Kadri's salary into the mix.

Lupul's agent must be just licking his chops! If he can even come close to his numbers next year, Burkie will likely give him 10% ownership of the team!

The good news is that, after next season, half the team are UFA's, so the rebuild can start again with the next new GM!

BRIAN. BURKE. WORST. GM. EVER! :D
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
vr6man25 wrote: wow I think its time for burke to go

http://www.newstalk1010.com/shows/moore ... D=10356109

From his responses to each of the other questions, and then that response, it seems very clear that he gave him a list of topics they would discus before the interview, and then sprung that one on him in the end. If that is the case, it is a pretty gutless move on the part of the host.

I guess Burke could have handled it better, but he is really under no obligation to put up with that kind of stuff.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
Maxman wrote: So, this pretty much rules out any chance of signing a decent UFA this summer unless a trade is made to move Komisarek or Phaneuf or Kessel, etc.

Burke just chewed up $2.4 million worth of Cap space when the team only had $15 million for 10 players. Now with Liles and Grabovski signed to ridiculous contracts, Burkie has 17 player signed and only $7.5 million in projected cap space! Kulemin is likely gone as an RFA, Frattin and Franson are also RFA, and Gustaffson will be gone as UFA, with ???? replacing him. They need to sign at least 5 players to fill the roster, and this doesn't include projecting Kadri's salary into the mix.

Lupul's agent must be just licking his chops! If he can even come close to his numbers next year, Burkie will likely give him 10% ownership of the team!

The good news is that, after next season, half the team are UFA's, so the rebuild can start again with the next new GM!

BRIAN. BURKE. WORST. GM. EVER! :D

What do you think it is like talking to Maxman in person? Do you think he yells every sentence?
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
BornRuff wrote: We will probably be talking about Grabbo like we talk about Komiserek in a few years.

Will be talking about Liles before Garbo. At least Garbo is younger. Liles signing was as bad if not worse. Garbo should have got the money Liles did and Liles less than 3 million. I see Komiserak being much better under Carlyle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)