Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 5:19 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
It's why you don't even consider trading Marner- players that can shoot the puck like that are hard to find especially in todays low scoring NHL
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Andersen is just fine
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Now THIS was a game where Andersen helped 'steal' a game for us. Definitely best game of the season for him and if he can keep this going consistently, Leafs are going to be doing well. :) Even though I keep saying I'm not completely sold on him, if he can keep this up he'll start making me become a believer soon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

And as much as I like seeing the Leafs score goals, its also nice to see that the Leafs defense and goaltending has been pretty good recently and they can win low scoring games too. And its also nice to see the Leafs can win even without Matthews.
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
MaximDude wrote: Now THIS was a game where Andersen helped 'steal' a game for us. Definitely best game of the season for him and if he can keep this going consistently, Leafs are going to be doing well. :) Even though I keep saying I'm not completely sold on him, if he can keep this up he'll start making me become a believer soon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

And as much as I like seeing the Leafs score goals, its also nice to see that the Leafs defense and goaltending has been pretty good recently and they can win low scoring games too. And its also nice to see the Leafs can win even without Matthews.
technically this is the 2nd game he stole. he's had another shutout. If you expect him to play like this going forward, you'll be disappointed since this is peak goaltending (not even Price is as good ALL the time). That said, dont forget he sucks in October, based on last year's history, and picks it up in November going forward.

2 players I'm not "iffy" on are Matthews and Andersen. Not that Andersen's as good, but the guy just recovers from his bad season starts, for seemingly, 2 years in a row now.

I'm more glad Nylander found the net finally. 12 games no goal?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
Andersen is on a role.... last 7 games, 2.2 GGA and 0.935 Save Percentage.. and that even includes the 6 goal game against STL...

Glad Nylander got off the hump today... but there is a LOT of love for Nylander vs. Marner it seems... Marner was doing OK those first 6-7 games.. not great, not bad but OK... but he gets shifted down and so much media backlash against him... how Leafs should trade him, etc. etc... however Nylander hasnt played well for the last 10+ games (not just goals and points.. in general not that great) and there is ZERO talk or backlash on him...
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Buggy166 wrote: technically this is the 2nd game he stole. he's had another shutout. If you expect him to play like this going forward, you'll be disappointed since this is peak goaltending (not even Price is as good ALL the time). That said, dont forget he sucks in October, based on last year's history, and picks it up in November going forward.

2 players I'm not "iffy" on are Matthews and Andersen. Not that Andersen's as good, but the guy just recovers from his bad season starts, for seemingly, 2 years in a row now.

I'm more glad Nylander found the net finally. 12 games no goal?
I'd say this shutout was more impressive than his last one, but that's just my opinion. And YES if Andersen wants to be considered an elite goalie then he should be able to play like last night on a consistent basis for most of the season if not for several seasons because that's what elite goalies do. And that's why Price and Bobrovsky are considered 'elite', well not Price this year but in previous years when he's been amazing and deserves all the praise he's gotten.

That doesn't mean Andersen isn't allowed bad games, but he should be having more good ones than bad ones and only then can he be considered a top goalie in the league. Sure having better defensive play in front of him helps alot, but Andersen should still be a difference maker regardless and be able to bail his team out when needed AND NOT letting in too many soft goals that kill the team.

grappos13 wrote: Andersen is on a role.... last 7 games, 2.2 GGA and 0.935 Save Percentage.. and that even includes the 6 goal game against STL...

Glad Nylander got off the hump today... but there is a LOT of love for Nylander vs. Marner it seems... Marner was doing OK those first 6-7 games.. not great, not bad but OK... but he gets shifted down and so much media backlash against him... how Leafs should trade him, etc. etc... however Nylander hasnt played well for the last 10+ games (not just goals and points.. in general not that great) and there is ZERO talk or backlash on him...
This is pretty much an exact mirror of last year when Nylander wasn't doing so well initially and he got demoted to the 4th line and people were talking about moving him for a top Dman etc. I think this is simply a case of fans and some media for that matter being too impatient and fickle and not being able to look at the long term and big picture where it takes time for young players to become really good consistently. Not every young player can come out of the gate being amazing and be able to keep being great for the entire season. The backlash against players is simply how the internet age is like these days where everything is analysed to the nth degree and everyone can immediately give their opinion on things without looking at the larger picture.
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Check this out. My Friend and his son made the leafs Instragram! LOL

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
MJISGOAT wrote: Check this out. My Friend and his son made the leafs Instragram! LOL

You know that stick will be encased in glass and the kid wont get to touch it again until he's in his mid 30's lol
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: You know that stick will be encased in glass and the kid wont get to touch it again until he's in his mid 30's lol
It's a 3 stars stick and not a regular players stick but yeah this was a pretty special moment for sure!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
MJISGOAT wrote: It's a 3 stars stick and not a regular players stick but yeah this was a pretty special moment for sure!
they do that?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
MJISGOAT wrote: Yup. See how plain and short that stick is?
yea didn't notice that at first, cheapies.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
Didnt even realize, yea its definitely not a proper hockey stick. Still special all things considered.
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: Didnt even realize, yea its definitely not a proper hockey stick. Still special all things considered.
Yup. And they also got Nylander to sign the stick as well!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
MJISGOAT wrote: Check this out. My Friend and his son made the leafs Instragram! LOL

The handwriting on the sign is too neat to be the kid's, which means your friend probably wrote the sign and the 2 bad grammar mistakes too lol. How embarrassing!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
6-0 win for the good guys tonight! Anderson was stellar in the first period when the Habs were buzzing and the Leafs were sluggish. It's odd to say that the goalie stole a win in a 6-0 game, but if Anderson hadn't played so well in that first period, it could've been 2-0 or 3-0 for Montreal, and we'd be looking at a very different final score. Back to back shut-outs!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
pintobean wrote: 6-0 win for the good guys tonight! Anderson was stellar in the first period when the Habs were buzzing and the Leafs were sluggish. It's odd to say that the goalie stole a win in a 6-0 game, but if Anderson hadn't played so well in that first period, it could've been 2-0 or 3-0 for Montreal, and we'd be looking at a very different final score. Back to back shut-outs!
That's what the Leafs need from Andersen every game, not to necessarily be lights out all the time, but at least be good and help the Leafs stay in the game when they screw up or have a bad start. That's what we haven't gotten from him consistently in October and in the past, but if he can keep this up the Leafs will look really good. Right now the defense and goaltending seem to be clicking pretty well where both are doing their jobs and neither is leaving each other out to dry too often.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Freddy Anderson, B+. :) Man, where are all the Anderson haters now?

Freddy was great in the first. I only caught the first period before I had to leave so I missed all the goals. Loving the fact that we don't lose every damn game to thr Habs anymore, the tides have changed.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Wow, these Leafs are no joke.

Too early to compare McDavid vs Matthews? Who would you pick? I read an article that said a few years ago it would've been a silly question who you'd have to anchor a franchise, now, not so much.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

ShoNuff2