Sports & Recreation

Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:43 am
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1445 posts
6 upvotes
mallik wrote:I hope he has something up his sleeve, because right now it doesn't look good. If he's going to rebuild, why didn't he buy out all of the expensive contracts like Sundin, McCabe, Belfour, etc.? If he can get Allison and Lindros for dirt cheap, that would be nice.
The fact that these guys are the team's a)captain b)best forward c)best defenceman d)only real NHL-calibre goalie speaks volumes about the trouble the Leafs are in. Ferguson had a one-time opportunity to get these guys off the books at a discounted rate, and not have it count against the cap. Otherwise he could have traded them for picks or prospects, like Philly did with Roenick. With the glut of free agents available, they could have easily been replaced. From the looks of it, it looks like next season is a write-off, so why keep these guys on?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
As suspected, the leafs will be in a rebuilding mode for the next 5 yrs. Surprised? probably not, even with some UFA signings..the leafs are not a cup contender.

Leafs have no assets left for trading...it will be a very long 5 yrs.

Time to rebuild. :|
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
mallik wrote:The fact that these guys are the team's a)captain b)best forward c)best defenceman d)only real NHL-calibre goalie speaks volumes about the trouble the Leafs are in. Ferguson had a one-time opportunity to get these guys off the books at a discounted rate, and not have it count against the cap. Otherwise he could have traded them for picks or prospects, like Philly did with Roenick. With the glut of free agents available, they could have easily been replaced. From the looks of it, it looks like next season is a write-off, so why keep these guys on?
But at the same time why blow all that money.

I think it was the Blues GM that mentioend something along the lines about buying players out is just a waste of money.

These are businesses, not fantasy hockey teams.

On paper buy outs sounds good. But honestly do you really think it would be a good idea to spend millions of dollars just to try and rebuild? That's just stupid.

Say you spend the money to buy out everyone. We wouldn't have been guaranteed to get equal players through free agency. It's easy to say buy out Belfour,Sundin,McCabe and then sign big free agents. We'd still be in the exact same position.

We're just better off to stick with our current group, make the best of it. And if we falter, then at the trade deadline we deal some of our players to build for the future. At least at that point they would be worth something to playoff bound teams. We'd get peanuts for our players right now.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Carnage wrote:But at the same time why blow all that money.

I think it was the Blues GM that mentioend something along the lines about buying players out is just a waste of money.

These are businesses, not fantasy hockey teams.

On paper buy outs sounds good. But honestly do you really think it would be a good idea to spend millions of dollars just to try and rebuild? That's just stupid.

Say you spend the money to buy out everyone. We wouldn't have been guaranteed to get equal players through free agency. It's easy to say buy out Belfour,Sundin,McCabe and then sign big free agents. We'd still be in the exact same position.

We're just better off to stick with our current group, make the best of it. And if we falter, then at the trade deadline we deal some of our players to build for the future. At least at that point they would be worth something to playoff bound teams. We'd get peanuts for our players right now.

i think trading players worked in the old cba...not in the new...like the nba..it seems trades are actually now dependent on salary vs players now.

sundin's salary is huge...i dont think any contender could eat it
really i dont see many assets left on the leafs.

i think fergusen sees this and as a result are signing players to short contracts to free cap space and then sign some big names next yr to rebuild with a young superstar.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
thelefteyeguy wrote: i think fergusen sees this and as a result are signing players to short contracts to free cap space and then sign some big names next yr to rebuild with a young superstar.
That strategy is severely overplayed by the media, and if depended on will sink a team.

That strategery hinges on one thing, "if the players are not signed long term before then". Quite a few of the players mentioned by the media have already been taken off the market.

So there's not going to be nearly as many marquee players available to sign as you'd think.

And the players that are available are going to be a hot item. Much more then the current batch. You can pretty much assume that players like Thorton and Lecaviler are going to be drawing the league max salary.

The Leafs will then be in the same situation. They won't be able to afford it.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
some more rumours...

allison and lindros signed...will be announced tomorrow
more rumblings about Kariya and Selanne signing with the leafs

and the leafs trading a boat load of youth (Sleen/Stajan/etc) for Thornton

hear from this guy called "Code"

anyways these are just rumors...mind you Forsberg was also a rumor and he signed with Philly in the last minute...NYR lost the bid by 500K.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1309 posts
48 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:some more rumours...

anyways these are just rumors...mind you Forsberg was also a rumor and he signed with Philly in the last minute...NYR lost the bid by 500K.
Where is this guy "Code" from ? Radio ? TV ? Forums ? Has he predicted anything else ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo

Allison/Lindross seem pretty possible.

Karyia/Selanne possible but extremely doubtful.

Youth for Thorton - just a practical joke. JFJ wouldn't be trading youth at this point, and we all know Thorton won't fit inour cap unless we move big ticket players.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
wpooh888 wrote:Where is this guy "Code" from ? Radio ? TV ? Forums ? Has he predicted anything else ?

here is the link...he works in NY at IMG...all his rumours have been really dead-on

he has reported that the Leafs have offered Selanne a 2 yr contract

here is the link:

http://www.hockeynations.com/index.php? ... 5795&st=90

u need to register to the forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4451 posts
250 upvotes

You frequent TMLfans.ca and/or Hockeynations too? :D

Yep, apparently Code is this guy who works for IMG, an agent company that does a lot of work for NHL players.

The rumors are tonight, Toronto and Boston in talks for Thorton...

Although, his credibility can't be 100% verified yet, he's been dead on all day on most signings before they got reported..
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Wildfire wrote:You frequent TMLfans.ca and/or Hockeynations too? :D

Yep, apparently Code is this guy who works for IMG, an agent company that does a lot of work for NHL players.

The rumors are tonight, Toronto and Boston in talks for Thorton...

Although, his credibility can't be 100% verified yet, he's been dead on all day on most signings before they got reported..
he's been dead on with NYI begin very busy today
forsberg down to NYR and Philly...forsberg chose Philly for less money :lol:

lol Leafs made a bid for Berard...and got turned down :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Wildfire wrote: The rumors are tonight, Toronto and Boston in talks for Thorton...
I really want to beleive that, I'd love to see Thorton in Boston.

I just don't understand how it would work. We'd have to give up some salary to fit him in. Either Sundin or McCabe.

Neither would make much sense, trading our captain, or dealing one of our only good defensemen. Unless JFJ has somnething in mind on defense.

Too much rumours, makes my head spin.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1309 posts
48 upvotes
IMG, aren't they the biggest agent company out there ? Definitely some interesting rumours.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4451 posts
250 upvotes
wpooh888 wrote:IMG, aren't they the biggest agent company out there ? Definitely some interesting rumours.
Yep they are. I think Don Meehan works there.

That thread is crazy, been trying to catch up reading it for an hr, they had like 300 users logged in earlier viewing it and its already up to 60 pages lol

Oh yeah and he's reporting that the leafs are interested in Brian Rafalski...
Jul 20, 2004
662 posts
31 upvotes
Took me over an hour to read it all and I mean all

Very entertaining to say the least. Amazing how some of us Leaf fans can be such A holes though.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4451 posts
250 upvotes
wanna_be wrote: Very entertaining to say the least.
Code, my sources tell me Christ is coming back in 2009..

Can you confirm this?

Will Palffy be apart of a deal to bring Jesus to Toronto to shore up Defence?
post of the night..lol
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1309 posts
48 upvotes
The hockeynations "Code" thread has lots of info. Too bad he's asleep now . . :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1309 posts
48 upvotes
Thread was also talking about a deal involving Theodore and a 1st Rounder for Lecavalier.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
I didn't put any stock into any of the rumours before about people coming to the leafs, so I'm not putting any in the thornton one! Or Kariya/Selanne..

The Allison/Lindros one does definitely seem possible though. What about Leclair? Is he that banged up he is of no use anymore? I totally forget what was going on with him last season..

Thorton on the leafs would be most excellent, but I won't get my hopes up..
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
from "Code"

Here's something about Anson Carter.

He's been offered solid contracts from 5 teams.

The Sabres, Leafs, Pens, Sens, and Oilers.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

Swerny