• Oct 13th, 2017 3:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto

leaking flush which kit is the best

Flush leaking again, changed just a few months ago.

Which kit works best and lasts longest.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6667 posts
1796 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What did you change the first time?

3 things can go wrong - the flapper doesn't fit right, the flush valve which the flapper goes into is cracked so the flapper no longer sits right, or fill valve is broken (doesn't shut off) or is poorly adjusted.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8259 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
just replace the entire fixture, $99, gets you a dual flush. thoses repair kits are around $40 all in by the time taxes.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1974 upvotes
Brampton
Are you talking about the flapper or the valve?

If it's the flapper I learned to just get the original flapper. It's like $20 vs $5 for a generic but the originals just seem to last longer. 10 years vs 2 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4224 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
bsobaid wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:56 am
Flush leaking again, changed just a few months ago.

Which kit works best and lasts longest.
Where is it leaking? Is the water consistently filling the bowl from the tank?

Is it leaking from the water line to the floor?

If you can give us more details, we can assist. Toilets are such simple fixtures, so it's likely an easy (and cheap) fix.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Aug 16, 2009
718 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Not to hijack. In my toilet situation, after I flush the water doesn't stop. I always have to shut it at the valve. It fills up but doesn't stop. :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 3:11 pm
Where is it leaking? Is the water consistently filling the bowl from the tank?

Is it leaking from the water line to the floor?

If you can give us more details, we can assist. Toilets are such simple fixtures, so it's likely an easy (and cheap) fix.
after flush it keeps dripping inside the cummod. from the place the water usually comes out when you flush but not from all holes, just the one at the center left and a couple more around it.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4224 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
bsobaid wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:21 pm
after flush it keeps dripping inside the cummod. from the place the water usually comes out when you flush but not from all holes, just the one at the center left and a couple more around it.
So it's likely one of two things:

1-Float is too high and water level is too high in tank. So water is going into the overflow drain. Make sure the water level is below the overflow drain. If it isn't, lower the float.

2-If the water level in the tank is below the overflow pipe, it's likely the flapper isn't sealed probably. You can replace it if needed. Try playing with it to ensure it's perfectly sealed. Make sure the chain that is attached to it to the handle to flush is the right size as well (not too short). Basically what craftsman said.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:31 pm
So it's likely one of two things:

1-Float is too high and water level is too high in tank. So water is going into the overflow drain. Make sure the water level is below the overflow drain. If it isn't, lower the float.

2-If the water level in the tank is below the overflow pipe, it's likely the flapper isn't sealed probably. You can replace it if needed. Try playing with it to ensure it's perfectly sealed. Make sure the chain that is attached to it to the handle to flush is the right size as well (not too short). Basically what craftsman said.
hmm lower the float..let me see how to do that and i will try.

I do push down the external flush handle a little and sometimes it stops leaking.

I played with the black rubber flap and that also sometimes stop the leak but it starts leaking soon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:24 pm
What did you change the first time?

3 things can go wrong - the flapper doesn't fit right, the flush valve which the flapper goes into is cracked so the flapper no longer sits right, or fill valve is broken (doesn't shut off) or is poorly adjusted.
the black rubber flapper that sits on the hole and the chain and the rod that connects with the flush handle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6667 posts
1796 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bsobaid wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:41 pm
hmm lower the float..let me see how to do that and i will try.

I do push down the external flush handle a little and sometimes it stops leaking.

I played with the black rubber flap and that also sometimes stop the leak but it starts leaking soon.
bsobaid wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:43 pm
the black rubber flapper that sits on the hole and the chain and the rod that connects with the flush handle.
How old is the toilet? Since you play around with the external flush handle to make it stop, then the flapper isn't sitting on the flush valve securely so either the flapper has deformed, or the flush valve is deformed. I would take the flapper out and see if it has deformed in anyway. If it has, then a new flapper but I would get something like this one -

as it has the plastic arms rather than the rubber ones. The rubber arms harden over time and break.

Do you use any toilet bowl cleaners that sit in the water reservoir? My brother did used some in his toilet which caused the rubber in the flapper to degrade and deform...
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4224 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:38 pm
How old is the toilet? Since you play around with the external flush handle to make it stop, then the flapper isn't sitting on the flush valve securely so either the flapper has deformed, or the flush valve is deformed. I would take the flapper out and see if it has deformed in anyway. If it has, then a new flapper but I would get something like this one -

as it has the plastic arms rather than the rubber ones. The rubber arms harden over time and break.

Do you use any toilet bowl cleaners that sit in the water reservoir? My brother did used some in his toilet which caused the rubber in the flapper to degrade and deform...
So my inlaws from Vancouver stayed at my place this past summer.

Me and my wife left them alone in our house for 30 minutes...guess what they did.

They clogged the toilet. Then, to fix it, they kept pulling the flush lever. This broke the flapper, as you noted.

So fresh water was consistently flowing from into the tank and then into to bowl (because of the broken flapper). Since the toilet was clogged, it flooded onto the floors Face With Tears Of Joy

I don't know why people think playing with the flush lever is a wise move. Maybe it's a Vancouver thing Winking Face
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6667 posts
1796 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:07 pm
So my inlaws from Vancouver stayed at my place this past summer.

Me and my wife left them alone in our house for 30 minutes...guess what they did.

They clogged the toilet. Then, to fix it, they kept pulling the flush lever. This broke the flapper, as you noted.

So fresh water was consistently flowing from into the tank and then into to bowl (because of the broken flapper). Since the toilet was clogged, it flooded onto the floors Face With Tears Of Joy

I don't know why people think playing with the flush lever is a wise move. Maybe it's a Vancouver thing Winking Face
It's like those people at the cross walks who either pound on the button thinking that heavy force is needed for the button to work or pressing the button repeatedly as if they needed to get the system's attention... the button or the lever is the only thing they think they have control over so they abuse the poor thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:38 pm

less than 10 years old.
dont use any cleaners.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2758 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:46 am
It's like those people at the cross walks who either pound on the button thinking that heavy force is needed for the button to work or pressing the button repeatedly as if they needed to get the system's attention... the button or the lever is the only thing they think they have control over so they abuse the poor thing.
daymn..thats bad.