• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2012 8:02 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 16, 2009
2 posts

Learning French in Toronto

Hello,

I'm a 22 year old recent university grad who's decided to learn French. I'm hoping to enroll in classes for the winter semester (Jan 2013), and am torn on where to go to get the best bang for my buck.

Right now, I'm debating between the classes at George Brown vs. Humber College, but I am open to smaller, private schools or language institutes.

Anyone taken French classes anywhere in the T-Dot they can recommend? (TTC accessible, por favor).

Thanks!

Izzy.
9 replies
Apr 16, 2012
53 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
Sorry I don't have anything to add really, I'm just hoping someone could give some insight as to where a university student could learn languages in Toronto as well. Though I'd like to learn Mandarin Chinese, Korean or Japanese! (Still in university here)
Apr 28, 2012
204 posts
26 upvotes
You can also do a professional certificate in French as well which imo is better.

Advanced French for Business certificate
http://calendars.registrar.yorku.ca/201 ... s_cert.htm

or
a advanced French Language Proficiency certificate
http://calendars.registrar.yorku.ca/201 ... h_cert.htm

it may take a year or two depending on how you do on your french assessment. The glendon one might also be a good choice too as the above poster has posted.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Most businesses i know and the Toronto French School use the Alliance Francais.
Mar 25, 2009
50 posts
Toronto
Is there any place that offers it for free?
Dec 16, 2009
2 posts
I've now been thinking about Alliance Francais - has anyone taken any of their courses? I'd really like to hear from someone's experience first-hand.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1311 posts
58 upvotes
I heard french alliance is good, but not sure about the price. I would try to find a french grad or phd student and pay them hourly to get private lessons. Most of them will do 15-20$ per lesson.
Banned
Jul 31, 2009
69 posts
7 upvotes
Tdot
AndrewShev wrote: I heard french alliance is good, but not sure about the price. I would try to find a french grad or phd student and pay them hourly to get private lessons. Most of them will do 15-20$ per lesson.
that would be a good alternative actually. You can do the postings yourself and be the boss. You could actually set the prices yourself if you want.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1311 posts
58 upvotes
OP's best bet is an old french stay at home lady. They are the ones who usually teach at home. Plus you get free tea and cookies))

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)