Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes

Learning to ride scooters and buying your first scooter

Need some help from RFD scooter and motorcycle riders.

I'm seriously considering getting a scooter for the short commute to work (10 mins by car, 50-60 mins by bus).

How easy is it to learn to drive a scooter?
How easy is it to learn to drive a scooter if I've taken a motorcycle rider course?

I see on the ridertraining.ca website for LSM training course you have to provide your own scooter. Having never rode one before I'd have to ride it to get to the training center...would I have difficulty with this?

I'm thinking of just doing the M2 training course on a motorcycle (since I don't have to provide my own motorbike), and then buying a scooter. Is riding a motorcycle fundamentally the same as riding a scooter?

Either way I'm probably not going to get a motorcycle. And most likely I will be getting a 50cc scooter.
144 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
Very easy. I rented one in Europe and rode away as soon as I jumped on. Gas and brake, that's it! :lol:

My dream is to own my own scooter one day. Damn I would ride here EVERYWHERE.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1680 posts
106 upvotes
scooters are dead easy to ride, cvt transmission so you don't have to worry about shifting, just two levers and a throttle

the 50cc's are dead slow too so you won't scare yourself :)
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2002
1859 posts
4 upvotes
The best way to find out is go somewhere and rent one for an hour or so, I recommend Oahu. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1521 posts
15 upvotes
i own a derbi atlantis 50cc scooter....a blast to ride...although you'll eventually want something a little more power...i bought a 70cc kit for my scooter...however didnt have time to install it yet...

yea riding a scooter is pretty simple.

btw...look into a derbi atlantis or a yamaha BW's.

the derbi atlantis 50cc is the fastest stock scooter in the market right now...does about 80km/h

the yamaha BW's slower but the mod parts are very cheap so you can easily get 90-100km/h

all other scooters max out at around 60km/h = no phun

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
mack wrote:
Mar 12th, 2007 2:33 am
i own a derbi atlantis 50cc scooter....a blast to ride...although you'll eventually want something a little more power...i bought a 70cc kit for my scooter...however didnt have time to install it yet...

the derbi atlantis 50cc is the fastest stock scooter in the market right now...does about 80km/h

the yamaha BW's slower but the mod parts are very cheap so you can easily get 90-100km/h

awesome info, thanks.
I am alittle worried about driving something that is severely underpowered.
I thought LSM's had to be 50cc or less AND be capped at 70km/h :?:

80 km/h sounds decent though.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10635 posts
986 upvotes
Mississauga
I rented one in Europe too. If you know how to ride a bicycle, you can ride a scooter. Very easy. I made it up to 80 kph on the declines. It was an awesome experience. I can see why some people like motorcycles so much -- the open air driving thing is exhilarating.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
does anyone know the difference in performance between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine?

mack, how much did you pay for the derbi? i checked the website and a price isn't listed.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
before, scooters had 2-stroke motors because they made more power.
now, 4-stroke motors can match 2-stroke power so many scooters switched to 4-stroke.

4-stroke is easier to maintain.

oh yeah, and riding a scooter is easier than riding a bicycle.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
mack wrote:
Mar 12th, 2007 2:33 am

I heard if a scooter is over 50cc you need to get plates and insurance for it.
Can anyone confirm if that is true.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
since you're in toronto I can answer that question.

insurance, license, plates for under 50cc...so therefore over 50cc must require it too.
Oct 3, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,
I can answer a lot of your questions. I've been riding scooters for about 10 years and have owned several. I currently have a 125cc Yamaha Vino, which I love. Before, I had a Yamaha BW, which I highly recommend for inner-city driving because you won't get stuck in streetcar tracks. I also have gotten my full M license and have a motorcycle, too! It's a 750cc Honda ACE.

1) ALL scooters require plates and insurance. If it is on the road, it needs insurance. Mopeds are the only vehicles that are exceptions because they have pedals, but they still need plates and insurance, since you could be injured or hit something while driving.

2) Scooters are easy to drive, but you might get confused if you took lessons on a motorcycle, as one of the break levers is where the clutch is, and scooter have no foot brake (unless you count the really old ones, which I don't recommend). They are not the same, but most people can easily take up a scooter without being confused.

3) 4-stoke scooters can actually be harder to maintain because they require a real oil change. 2-stroke scooters have automatic oil mixing, and you just add oil to a fill-up container. Either way, scooters are easy to maintain and are practically bulletproof in terms of reliability.

4) The ML restricted lisence is new, so I don't know much about it. I believe the cap is 80km/hr. Any 50cc scooter should do fine, unless you want to ride on the Bayview Extension or the Lakeshore, where the speedlimit is 60-70, which means cars are going 70-90km/hr. Craigslist is a great place to find used scooters. Never buy new, but never buy anything over 10 years old, since they all cost about the same, and really old ones can be a problem if ever you need parts. Vespas are just an expensive name brand, Go for yamaha or Honda or Derbi. Perhaps avoid the no-name ones that are new to Canada, as they have no track record here, yet.

5) I think Humber has a scooter course that provides you with the scooters. If not, and you were already considering this - go ahead and take the M2 course. That way, you can ride anything you want (i.e. get a bigger scooter!).

6) BIG ADVICE: wear a reflective vest or something flashy at all times. Scooters are rare and drivers will not see you, especially when they are changing lanes or turning at intersections. I've already ended up on someone's windshield and I was driving in a straight line...they turned in right front of me! I wear a reflective vest now and have not had any other incidents.

I've lost track of the other questions. PM or post more questions.

Blue-J
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1521 posts
15 upvotes
sorry for the late reply....yea blue-j gots some good points...

and yes only scooters under 50cc is considered as LSM. however there are kits out there that you can install that are 70cc. they are "racing kits" if you know what i mean....you wouldnt have any trouble with it as they dont really care....what kind of a-hole cop will pull over the slowest moving vehicle on the street? (compared to cars and such) unless you broke the law that is....hahaha

in ontario, you need plates no matter what scooter you have...however the blue/greenish plates are for LSM

yea all LSM's are suppose to be capped at 70km/h....however the derbi atlantis is special....its labeled as LSM so you'll be fine with the law but this thing FLIES compared to a 50cc yamaha vino or honda as their speedo displays 60 and you'll probably be going 50ish

the retail price for the derbi atlantis is about 2500 + taxes

My howardforums Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... did=156877

Just made a Heatware account
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=18988
Banned
Oct 24, 2005
174 posts
Nice information in this thread as I have been looking into getting a scooter as well. The ones I'm currently considering are the Derbi GPR 50, Derbi Atlantis and Yamaha BW. I'm leaning towards the Derbi's. I can't seem to find much information on the Derbi GPR 50 as far as maximum speed goes though and whether it would qualify as an LSM.

Also to anyone who has gone through the LSM Licensing process, how difficult is the process to complete? How much practice would a complete beginner need in order to pass everything? Would it be more worthwhile to skip the LSM process and just go forward to M2 Licensing in order to able to drive a motorcycle?

I currently don't have plans to drive a motorcycle at the moment as I would be a complete beginner and I think sticking with a scooter/Moped would be the way to go as I want the vehicle just to get to places of short distances. I may however down the road be inclined to get something more powerful.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
thanks for all the info

I know ridertraining.ca offers scooter courses near fairview mall which is probably a better location than humber

jayboogie, there are 2-3 day courses that include the M2L license upon successful completion of the course.

www.gtamotorcycle.com actually has a detailed description of the M2 test with diagrams.

another question: where'd you buy your helmets from?

and is it really a good idea to buy a used scooter? I know nothing about them. How would I know if the previous owner didn't mess it up?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)