• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2019 4:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 23, 2013
47 posts
17 upvotes

Lease Car Under Warranty Has Damaged

Hello -

Our lease car (1 years old) has a mechanical fault - the steering column is damaged apparently. This means the power steering does work.
While the auto manufacturer is trying to find the party, they have given us a Toyota Corolla as a replacement.

Now they say the part is unavailable and may take a long time to get to us. In the meantime, we are paying the lease price for a better car than the Corolla.

Any ideas what can be done in this situation? Can the lease be cancelled? Cheers.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1743 posts
1714 upvotes
GTA
How long is a long time?
Feb 20, 2017
278 posts
83 upvotes
Barrie, ON
libertarian wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:57 pm
Hello -

Our lease car (1 years old) has a mechanical fault - the steering column is damaged apparently. This means the power steering does work.
While the auto manufacturer is trying to find the party, they have given us a Toyota Corolla as a replacement.

Now they say the part is unavailable and may take a long time to get to us. In the meantime, we are paying the lease price for a better car than the Corolla.

Depends on what vehicle you drive is it a Camry? Then I doubt you'll get anything I would request a similar vehicle to what you are driving or request something for free.

Any ideas what can be done in this situation? Can the lease be cancelled? Cheers.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3745 posts
1468 upvotes
Toronto
You can try for early return and sign another lease on new car. 6 to 12 months is heard of, but 2 to 3 years might be tricky.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1795 posts
544 upvotes
Kitchener
OP.. I would say under two weeks with the lesser car is reasonable, unless you need the space, ie larger family etc. If that is the case then talk to the dealer and see if there is a demo they can give you in the mean time. If the wait time for repairs is more than 2 weeks than I would seek a similar model to the one I have, As for lease being cancelled, no that is not a possibility as this is a warranty item and they would not cancel the lease just for this.
[OP]
Apr 23, 2013
47 posts
17 upvotes
Thanks all. Apparently the part has to be manufactured so I'm not sure how long exactly yet...maybe a month or longer.

I'm fine if it's a week or two to get the part but longer than that seems a bit much. It's already been in for over a week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9599 posts
8553 upvotes
Oakville
libertarian wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 3:20 pm
Car is Nissan Qashqai.
The car is killing itself because it has such an awful name. Also, lmao at Nissan dealer giving you a Corolla for a loaner. Clearly they don't want to see you back again with another broken down Nissan.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2017 posts
1411 upvotes
peelhic wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 3:11 pm
OP.. I would say under two weeks with the lesser car is reasonable, unless you need the space, ie larger family etc. If that is the case then talk to the dealer and see if there is a demo they can give you in the mean time. If the wait time for repairs is more than 2 weeks than I would seek a similar model to the one I have, As for lease being cancelled, no that is not a possibility as this is a warranty item and they would not cancel the lease just for this.
Perfect response. This is a warranty issue, not a lease issue. The fact that the vehicle is leased is irrelevant. I agree that OP should insist on a similar model to the one they have as a loaner.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2519 posts
1498 upvotes
Ask for similar model or a rental of similar model.

That's said, a Corolla is 1 class up from the Qashqai. :D