• Jul 29th, 2014 6:01 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 2, 2006
328 posts
43 upvotes

Lease Takeover from USA

Hi Everyone,

I know it is not possible to sign up for a new lease in the US...but can you takeover someone else's lease from the US?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1224 posts
92 upvotes
I have zero experience with this - but my guess would be a no, since the financing would likely all still be done using US firms, which would require social security number, a US address, etc. That's my gut instinct, at any rate.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Are you serious ? Why would the leasing company even consider this option for you ?

what are you leasing ? A lambo or ferrari that you need to do this
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
When you lease, don't they do a credit check? How are they going to check if you don't have any identity in the US?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 20, 2008
131 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
Hi

bobbings wrote: When you lease, don't they do a credit check? How are they going to check if you don't have any identity in the US?
Just how would the OP get the leased car over the border? S/he has to export from the US and that requires a copy of the pink slip faxed to US customs, or a letter from the lien holder to export. An unlikely scenario
Aug 2, 2006
328 posts
43 upvotes
I have not done it yet... Was looking to do it... Prices are way better in the US and I only need a car for ~ 2yrs. Not much selection in Canada for what I want.

I have never leased in my life, so I guess if they do a check for a takeover I'm screwed. Thanks anyways
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
lol...i couldnt imagine the leasing company crossing the border to seize the car...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1424 posts
394 upvotes
GVRD
In BC the answer would be NO because the U.S. Leasing companies are not provincially registered. ICBC requires that the owner be a legally recognized entity in BC.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)