Home & Garden

Least frustrating website to research fridges?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2017 3:38 pm
Sep 5, 2007
245 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver

Least frustrating website to research fridges?

I've had it with trying to find a fridge. This has been the worst shopping experience, bar none.

We've got a cabinet with a 36" x 69" cutout. It's got cabinets above the cutout. Major websites are just freaking terrible at allowing one to sort through their stock with anything specific. "Want to narrow down this list of 400 fridges by width? Sure! Would you like 0-30", 30-39", or 40-100?" "Want to narrow down this list by height? Sure! Would you like a fridge that's 0-60", 60-75", or 75" and up?"
Going into the big box stores is equally frustrating, and way more time consuming. I may as well just set fire to my whole cabinet and start over.

Does anyone have a sane website they've used for finding a fridge of a specific width and height? Bonus points for depth!
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You have a standard cut out.

Don't buy based on size. Buy based on need. Do you want French doors? Freezes at top or bottom?

After you decide, then search based on width. The depth is not as important and you have a standard height.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Try this site: AJ Madison. It has EXACTLY what you're looking for.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Great thread. I recently was shopping for some appliances and bathroom vanities. E.g., if the item I needed was 48", I would have to check both 36-48 and 48-60. WTH. Do they even use their own website?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Sep 5, 2007
245 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote: You have a standard cut out.

Don't buy based on size. Buy based on need. Do you want French doors? Freezes at top or bottom?

After you decide, then search based on width. The depth is not as important and you have a standard height.
Hmm, I don't proclaim myself to be an expert at this, but I don't see how a fridge that states it is 70" tall would fit in my 69" cut out. Can you enlighten us?

Looking at the AJ Madison site provided, there are literally only 3 fridges total that are 68-69" tall and 36" wide and counter depth. I had the same trouble finding a fridge 7 years ago and could only find a Bosch to fit the space. Just squeezes in like a glove too. An extra 1/8" taller and it wouldn't fit.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
AJ Madison is American, they have no stores here. Are they going to ship up here? Surely that would be a fortune.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
icantfigureoutausername wrote: AJ Madison is American, they have no stores here. Are they going to ship up here? Surely that would be a fortune.
you find the product number of the fridge you want from AJ Madison, then search the local retailers for that model
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
icantfigureoutausername wrote: AJ Madison is American, they have no stores here. Are they going to ship up here? Surely that would be a fortune.
So - do your research at AJ Madison based on dimensions, narrow down your list to a number of models that fit and then finish your research locally for those models.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Sep 5, 2007
245 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
t3359 wrote: Great thread. I recently was shopping for some appliances and bathroom vanities. E.g., if the item I needed was 48", I would have to check both 36-48 and 48-60. WTH. Do they even use their own website?
Ya know those annoying pop-ups on the big box websites saying "would you please give us an evaluation of our website after your visit"? Well, I've certainly taken the opportunity to lay in to the company on these issues. It's like they're all using the same ecommerce back end. Freaking frustrating!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
kowrek wrote: Ya know those annoying pop-ups on the big box websites saying "would you please give us an evaluation of our website after your visit"? Well, I've certainly taken the opportunity to lay in to the company on these issues. It's like they're all using the same ecommerce back end. Freaking frustrating!
Most e-commerce sites are built for the least dollars with stats provided by the manufacturers meaning some have the info you need, and some dont provide it.

My favorite is when Lowes and Depot mix the product size and the in-box size. I dont care how big the fridge is in the box you nitwits!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kowrek wrote: Hmm, I don't proclaim myself to be an expert at this, but I don't see how a fridge that states it is 70" tall would fit in my 69" cut out. Can you enlighten us?
The 70" is the highest point from bottom to top. There is a little extra height for the door hinges, the actual fridge is 68" or 69". Your cupboards do not extend out the length of the counter.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I noticed this too when shopping, mine is 65.5in height so it was a nightmare. Don't trust sizes, go to the stores and measure each one (taking into account the door hinge so you can open your cupboard), i've seen many typos. But decide on style is good advice and your height is not bad, you will have many options to choose from. Also leave 1 inch above for fridge size variations and ventilation (and the fact the middle of the fridge can be higher then the edge measurement, i learned that the hard way.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Sep 5, 2007
245 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote: The 70" is the highest point from bottom to top. There is a little extra height for the door hinges, the actual fridge is 68" or 69". Your cupboards do not extend out the length of the counter.
True, the cupboards don't extend out, but the cupboard doors need to open. They're the same clearance as the cupboards.
Sep 5, 2007
245 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote: I noticed this too when shopping, mine is 65.5in height so it was a nightmare. Don't trust sizes, go to the stores and measure each one (taking into account the door hinge so you can open your cupboard), i've seen many typos. But decide on style is good advice and your height is not bad, you will have many options to choose from. Also leave 1 inch above for fridge size variations and ventilation (and the fact the middle of the fridge can be higher then the edge measurement, i learned that the hard way.
Typos are awful! I went to Lowes yesterday because I thought I found an LG fridge that was 68.5" to the top of the hinges. Even corroborated against LG product info sheets. However, I went out with a tape measure and it's 70" to the top of the hinges like most other models. Ugh.

My plan now is to just find the largest fridge warehouse in Metro Van, and head there with a tape measure. Anyone know who's got the most stock on the floor in Metro Van?