Leather Bag for Wife Suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2015 10:18 am
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
399 posts
203 upvotes
Lol I love all the input.

I'm sure I could find a $1000 leather backpack that is ugly as hell, just as easily as I could find one for $100. Thus why I'm looking for different suggestions. Fortunately, both my wife and I try to be smart with our money and why I'm hunting early.

I'm surprised that on RFD of all places, people are telling me to just splurge on the ridiculously priced bag lol. Then again I don't explore the fashion sub-forum as frequently as I do the others... So maybe it's a different breed here...
Sep 30, 2006
41 posts
3 upvotes
let me put it this way - $300-400 bag is is not that much. From my experience MK is pretty dissent for the price. if you buy it will last much longer than $100 bag and your wife will enjoy more.
I have learned that if you buy anything cheep you will be not happy with it and won't last long (you get what you pay for). in my family we cannot afford to buy junk.
Ideally you should buy you wife Prada or Louis vuitton and then I bet It would last her life time.
I know you will say after riding it I am nuts to even suggest buying a $2000 bag but if you think how much money you spend on computers in recent years (and they all go to garbage at the end).
Now imagine you mention to you wife you like that new laptop for $800 and she buys you refurbished 800x600, 1 ram, 60 GB junk notebook for $80 how would you feel.
please do not take me wrong - I do not want to offend you, that is just my 2 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
hvargas wrote:
Sep 17th, 2015 5:13 pm
I'm surprised that on RFD of all places, people are telling me to just splurge on the ridiculously priced bag lol. Then again I don't explore the fashion sub-forum as frequently as I do the others... So maybe it's a different breed here...
So why do you think it's overpriced? RFD isn't just about saving money, but also value for the money. It's a different story if your income can't afford it, but if you can then the question is if you can justify $300 for a bag. And that's where the mindset needs to change. It isn't just a bag, it's a designer bag. And luxury items don't come cheap, the same way luxury watches for men don't come cheap either. If you told your wife you wanted a Rolex watch and she came on RFD seeking advice, most people will tell her to get you that Rolex. Because substituting it with a Timex watch on the basis that the Rolex is overpriced isn't quite the same thing. It's a luxury item. You're not only paying for the higher quality material, but also the quality in craftsmanship.

And as the previous poster mentioned, $3-400 dollars isn't that expensive for a designer bag - and the Michael Kors brand is considered on the lower end. Here's how the rest of the market compares. At the $100 dollar price point you're looking at cheap quality Guess bags. The following are rough numbers but LV goes for around $800-$1000. Chanel $3000-$4000. And Hermes $7000-8000. And some bags can go into the $10,000+ range. You should thank your wife for not having expensive tastes lol.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Nov 23, 2008
343 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
hvargas wrote:
Sep 17th, 2015 5:13 pm
There's a difference between getting value for your money, and being cheap.

That being said, it's hard to put a price on branding since its value is subjective (fashion as a whole is pretty subjective), so retailers charge whatever price they think the market will take. Like others have said, if you're not comfortable spending that much on that particular backpack, it'd be much better to communicate that to her, and give a budget to work with. Don't try to buy an alternative unless you've cleared it with her first IMO, there's a reason she picked that particular item (link in first post is broken), over a cheaper alternative.

You could also try to befriend someone who works there. Their employee discount is pretty crazy IIRC.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
399 posts
203 upvotes
Zewo wrote:
Sep 18th, 2015 10:06 am
You could also try to befriend someone who works there. Their employee discount is pretty crazy IIRC.
Hmmm.. I like this idea.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24334 posts
1565 upvotes
Markham, ON
won't be long until MK becomes Coach.

once it hits peak and you see it everywhere...woman will start to give it to their parents and you'll see grandmas with them...you don't see Coach bags anywhere anymore.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12130 posts
1811 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mehhh... every 5 and dime has a Michael Kors these days. She wants to stand out to be different, choose a different brand.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING