None
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2196 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto

Leather and Pleather jackets

Hi,
I have never owned a leather/pleather jacket and was wonder what are the pros and cons of both. Obviously, leather is better than pleather but cost 100% more. Im still deciding if i should dish in $300 for a leather bomber at danier or spend $40 for a similar pleather jacket at forever 21. Has anyone survived winter with a leather or pleather jacket??

thanks
7 replies
Jul 31, 2008
773 posts
1 upvote
congeetime wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 6:35 pm
Hi,
I have never owned a leather/pleather jacket and was wonder what are the pros and cons of both. Obviously, leather is better than pleather but cost 100% more. Im still deciding if i should dish in $300 for a leather bomber at danier or spend $40 for a similar pleather jacket at forever 21. Has anyone survived winter with a leather or pleather jacket??

thanks
The Danier jacket will more likely be warmer. I had one of those motorcycle inspired bomber jackets from Danier, and had no problems wearing it over a long sleeve tee in the winters.

I was recently looking to get a new leather jacket to replace that one (sold it because I got bored of the style). I couldn't find one that was exactly what I wanted in leather, but I did find a pleather one that was 99% what I wanted at Zara for only $99, so I bought it. I think that it looks more real than most of the other pleather jackets out there, but it's still no leather jacket. It's pretty lightweight, no comparison to the Danier jacket I had. I think you'll have to layer it up with at least a sweater if you plan to survive winter with a pleather jacket.

Personally, I think a $40 pleather jacket wouldn't even look close to a leather jacket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2196 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, the leather/pleather jackets definitely look different but im liking the overall look on the $40 one(Comes with an attached hoodie and it fits a bit better than the danier one)

Zara had some nice ones too but is it really worth $99 for a pleather. I know danier has a lot of sales on their jackets that drop from $300 to $150 ish.

Is their a difference between pleather and leather in terms of how warm they are during the winter?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2008
1607 posts
3 upvotes
Im not really sure about leather for true warmth, I mean sure real leather can provide you with some warmth but when it gets really cold as it does in January you'll need to layer up like crazy anyway.
Jul 28, 2008
197 posts
2 upvotes
HIGHLY recommend real leather. Anything else will be cold in the wind and make you sweat like a pig because they don't breath. Been there...once...never again.
2009 RFD Contest Wins
Danier Leather "Win a Bag a Day" contest

2008 RFD Contest Wins
6 X 20 Shoppers DM GC (1st ever win!)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
2923 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I have a leather and a pleather.. the leather one is from Japan and the pleather one is made by Cheap Monday..

the Pleather keeps you OK warm.. but not as well as the leather.. but on warmer days, the pleather will make your neck sweat
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
Pleather WILL crack.

I was at the Danier store today and there's tons of deals...I wish I had money for a $300 coat right now. Those Bomber jackets are waiting for me :D
Jun 17, 2006
242 posts
68 upvotes
Leather all the way in terms of warmth and quality.

I bought a Mackage bomber jacket about 5 years ago and it is still in great shape, warm and good looking.

Pleather look alikes you will likely freeze in the winter.

I guess to the untrained eye, pleather can look like leather but I've never seen one that didn't look cheap.

It is worth buying a jacket you will wear for many season for a couple hundred more IMO.

Go on Craigslist or a consignment store to buy if you don't want to spend retail prices.
× < >