Food & Drink

Leaving Canada, what's a must try before going (booze and food)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2013 1:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
283 upvotes
BC

Leaving Canada, what's a must try before going (booze and food)

so after almost 6 years in this amazing country, I'm heading back to Australia. And I feel like I haven't really sampled Canada enough, so now's a last ditch chance to try everything.

So what should I try? Canadian whisky is kind of my thing and I've depleted my stock of Alberta Premium 30, I've tried a few maple ones (and that's definitely the gift I'm bringing back with me, but not really a favourite for me) and tried all the Canadian Club/Alberta/Wiser range of stuff, but what's something high end I should get through a bottle of before going? Besides Unibroue, what beers might I be missing out on that are really incredible? What wine (personally I've never found anything particularly amazing except the Cedar Creek Meritage a few years back)?

And what about food? I've had poutine, moose, maple syrup and a whole lot of Alberta beef, but if there was one Canadian food you couldn't live without, what would it be?

Think of a "money is no object" Canadian culinary experience, what would it be?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
A french chick from Quebec. She'll rock your world :P
Please keep sigs clean
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
51 upvotes
champdood wrote: so after almost 6 years in this amazing country, I'm heading back to Australia. And I feel like I haven't really sampled Canada enough, so now's a last ditch chance to try everything.

So what should I try? Canadian whisky is kind of my thing and I've depleted my stock of Alberta Premium 30, I've tried a few maple ones (and that's definitely the gift I'm bringing back with me, but not really a favourite for me) and tried all the Canadian Club/Alberta/Wiser range of stuff, but what's something high end I should get through a bottle of before going? Besides Unibroue, what beers might I be missing out on that are really incredible? What wine (personally I've never found anything particularly amazing except the Cedar Creek Meritage a few years back)?

And what about food? I've had poutine, moose, maple syrup and a whole lot of Alberta beef, but if there was one Canadian food you couldn't live without, what would it be?

Think of a "money is no object" Canadian culinary experience, what would it be?
come down to the west coast and try some fish.
"Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."—Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1507 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
For Wine, Ice Wine(Find a decent late harvest if you don't want to drop $35-40 a bottle) and Chardonnays, I love cold climate chards. I'd give you a few recommendations but you won't find them in BC. Reds, you can find some pretty decent ones, but you are paying way more then they are worth. Um, Saskatoon Berry Liqueur. Its from a grape from germany but if you can find some wine made from Siegerrebe grapes, which I believe 3-4 B.C. wineries use, try it. Maple Cream Liqueur; not sure if you can find it out there, the LCBO just started carrying it again after de-listing it 5-6 years ago. Its like baileys but better, and maple flavoured. I'm more of a Wisers Fan but Crown Royal Special Reserve is great. Wisers Red Letter if you don't mind spending the money on it.

Foods: Butter Tarts, Ketchup Chips, Quebec Foie Gras, Coffee Crisp, Nanaimo bars.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
What about Montreal smoked meat? I love that stuff, not sure if you've ever visited Montreal and had Schwartz's smoked meat. Better yet, have a smoked meat poutine, the best of both worlds.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
A little Maritime food? Cod tongues? Seal flipper? Fish n' brewis? With fiddleheads? Wash it down with a little Screech?

Going to Australian next Fall (our fall) so I will get to try some of your Australian cuisine.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
toughmet wrote: Go out to dinner with Rob Ford.
Doesn't he have enough to eat at home!
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Jul 17, 2013
337 posts
79 upvotes
boonjaca wrote: What about Montreal smoked meat? I love that stuff, not sure if you've ever visited Montreal and had Schwartz's smoked meat. Better yet, have a smoked meat poutine, the best of both worlds.
If you do go to Montreal, try the brick oven bagels too :) (if you can't go, you can also get them at st Lawrence market. I think it's called "st urbain bagels" or something)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Buttertarts. Kraft Dinner. Coffee Crisp.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
boonjaca wrote: What about Montreal smoked meat? I love that stuff, not sure if you've ever visited Montreal and had Schwartz's smoked meat. Better yet, have a smoked meat poutine, the best of both worlds.
Second that. Sobey's sells Schwartzs brand, Costco sells Dunns. Both pre-packaged but good on a decent light rye or marble rye bread. With lots of mustard.
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're just going to be staying in BC and wanted to try a lot of microbrews then I'd say you check out Alibi Room or the new place that opened up in Olympic Village, I think it's called Craft Beer Market.
I agree with canguy9999 about the ice wine, there's a number of good ones but I typically get the one from Sumac Ridge.

As for dishes to try, I'd say butter tarts, beaver tails, ketchup chips, elk, Montreal smoked meat and candied salmon jerky.
May 11, 2008
847 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
bonterra wrote: Second that. Sobey's sells Schwartzs brand, Costco sells Dunns. Both pre-packaged but good on a decent light rye or marble rye bread. With lots of mustard.
Dunn's opened up a place in Vancouver a couple of years back. It's downtown on Seymour & Robson.
http://dunnsfamousbc.com/
May 20, 2005
293 posts
9 upvotes
For whiskey try Lot 40 from Corby. Distilled in small batch copper stills, tastes more complex than most Canadian whiskeys. If you don't mind the gross out factor, you can bring back a bottle of Newfoundland screech for laughs. As for food, maybe try some bison, seal, venison. BC smoked salmon is always good as a souvenir.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Pierogies? Boiled then pan fried with bacon and onions.

You've eaten lots of East Coast lobster, I hope. PEI mussels?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
bonterra wrote: Second that. Sobey's sells Schwartzs brand, Costco sells Dunns. Both pre-packaged but good on a decent light rye or marble rye bread. With lots of mustard.
Beware, Schwartz smoked meat sold at Sobeys has been emergency recalled due to listeria
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
283 upvotes
BC
Pete_Coach wrote: A little Maritime food? Cod tongues? Seal flipper? Fish n' brewis? With fiddleheads? Wash it down with a little Screech?

Going to Australian next Fall (our fall) so I will get to try some of your Australian cuisine.
And I thought it sounded like Australian't made up words. Make sure to try flathead and flake when you're down there, some crays in Sydney, and wash it down with a nice pale ale and a lamington for dessert.

Can't say I'm the hugest seafood fan but I might try some of those out, thanks
blackestnight wrote: come down to the west coast and try some fish.
Been there, done that but will be doing it again, that's for sure!
toughmet wrote: Go out to dinner with Rob Ford.
Does he eat anything or just smoke it?
aznrsx1979 wrote: If you're just going to be staying in BC and wanted to try a lot of microbrews then I'd say you check out Alibi Room or the new place that opened up in Olympic Village, I think it's called Craft Beer Market.
I agree with canguy9999 about the ice wine, there's a number of good ones but I typically get the one from Sumac Ridge.

As for dishes to try, I'd say butter tarts, beaver tails, ketchup chips, elk, Montreal smoked meat and candied salmon jerky.
Huh, I thought you meant actual beaver tails there for a moment, from a quick google these look pretty interesting. Thanks for the beer and booze advice too, I'll try it out! Not a huge fan on the ice wine but mainly because it's overpriced for what it is, I've had better dessert wines for much less. But I'll try Sumac Ridge, never have from there. What are their wines like too? I had a couple and they seemed decent, any outstanding ones they put out?
bonterra wrote: Pierogies? Boiled then pan fried with bacon and onions.

You've eaten lots of East Coast lobster, I hope. PEI mussels?
I don't actually know where the lobster I've had is from. PEI mussels is definitely another to add to the list, I haven't had any in a few years. Thanks for the advice on perogies too, I've only had some that I cooked in the oven once, they weren't great :P
lofidelity wrote: For whiskey try Lot 40 from Corby. Distilled in small batch copper stills, tastes more complex than most Canadian whiskeys. If you don't mind the gross out factor, you can bring back a bottle of Newfoundland screech for laughs. As for food, maybe try some bison, seal, venison. BC smoked salmon is always good as a souvenir.
Yeah, going to bring back some more smoked salmon. I might have to buy a bottle of Lot 40 tomorrow, I've never tried it, never heard anyone mention if it's good or not, just seen it on the shelf.

Any particular place to get smoked salmon? I normally just remember while going through the airport and buy some package of it.
aznrsx1979 wrote: Dunn's opened up a place in Vancouver a couple of years back. It's downtown on Seymour & Robson.
http://dunnsfamousbc.com/
Damn, I was there on the weekend :/ Oh well, back in a few weeks at least, will try it then.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! This should keep me busy for a while.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)