Parenting & Family

Leaving the car seat in the car - concerned over nothing?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2016 2:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: Thanks for the assurance - it's funny, the Diono is the one we have too.

Our neighbour told us about their car seat being stolen, but as someone above guessed - they also took the car with it.

This really puts my mind at ease - I just assumed because it was expensive people would want it, but the points you raise above (difficult to remove, bulky, dirty, little resale, etc.) all make perfect sense. I can now put my mind at ease - so thanks!
Exactly. Don't worry, I initially had that thought of it as well, especially after shelling out $350 for the car seat. But the type of ghetto people who would buy something like that, wouldn't even have a car to drive it in, hence no demand for it. Anybody with a car, and kid would rather just get a cheap new one if they were that broke. And they would also assume something is wrong with it.

I'm also just thinking the robber lugging that heavy thing.. maybe if they were the type back in the days to steal heavy ol vcrs, but nowadays, thieves aren't used to taking bulky stuff, and they wouldn't even have space to store it. In the old days, when it was more sophisticated and more organized, they had houses or warehouses (infrastructure) to take, store, and sell it.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4963 posts
562 upvotes
GTA
Best to put the car seat in the trunk or house after each use. You never know right?
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
ferkel wrote: Best to put the car seat in the trunk or house after each use. You never know right?
Do you do this? What kind of seat?

The only easy way i can think of putting the car seat in the house after each use is to put the car in the garage. It takes me around 30 mins just to make sure the seat is in and the belts are tight.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Nah, I just leave it in the car. A car seat takes quite a bit of time and effort to remove even if you know what you're doing, and every model is a bit different so it's not exactly a smash-and-grab job. The only way to quickly remove it is to cut the straps and that eliminates whatever value it may have.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Oct 18, 2005
442 posts
197 upvotes
The only time I removed the car seat is to clean it, other then that it stay in the car.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ferkel wrote: Best to put the car seat in the trunk or house after each use. You never know right?
Totally not necessary. Remember the reason has a car seat it's to protect your little ones. Putting it in and out each time leads to a bigger risk of installing incorrectly. Also, it takes time, so is it worth 10 or 20 minutes before each trip. Totally not worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4548 posts
2623 upvotes
It takes me 5 minutes to fully remove my car seat from the car and I've done it many times. As others have said, when someone breaks into a car, their intent is to be as quick as possible. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Removing is quick for me, it's the reinstalling that takes me forever to get it tight enough. I cannot wait for when my youngest is heavy enough to stay in the booster.

I also leave my boosters in the car even though they are fast to put in and out.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1027 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Thanks for the assurance - it's funny, the Diono is the one we have too.

Our neighbour told us about their car seat being stolen, but as someone above guessed - they also took the car with it.
lol - they stole the car. Fullstop. The way you've phrased it sounds like they stole the car to get the car seat. I'm thinking not!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
4003 posts
1841 upvotes
You are paranoid as hell
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
664 upvotes
North York
I never have a problem leaving our $600 car seat in the parking lot and I never had a 2nd thought about it...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)