he sleeps most of the day

but very active and needy during the evenings
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4103 posts
1851 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn't want to leave it alone for a week. In my past cat-owning life, anything more than 3 days and we'd have someone stop by half-way through.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1401 posts
334 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
It's difficult to do, if for no reason the litterbox. You could return to poops and pees everywhere because the litterbox is too dirty. Many cats need us more than we realize and they miss us. A week is a long time and your cat could get worried about what's going on. Also, what if your cat were to knock over the water bowl? You just never know what cats will do, particularly when they're annoyed by being left alone. There's all kinds of mischief a cat can get up to. As the earlier poster said, you really should think about having someone stop by halfway through at least. I understand your concerns about trust. But what you're proposing just doesn't seem realistic. At least not to me. Just my opinion of course.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
No, that's too long. We have done two days several times and that's fine. Three days would push it.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3150 posts
552 upvotes
London
It wont be okay. That is too long. Variety of reasons mentioned above.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1123 posts
175 upvotes
3 days is the most I would ever leave a cat alone.
Alex
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1364 posts
246 upvotes
Where are you going? How broke can you be to not be willing to pay $25 a day for a cat sitter.

A week away is way to long.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
smokescreen15 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 11:08 am
Where are you going? How broke can you be to not be willing to pay $25 a day for a cat sitter.

A week away is way to long.
+1. Don't you have friends or neighbours that can check on the cat once every 2 days???
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1624 posts
166 upvotes
BDSL wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:36 am
+1. Don't you have friends or neighbours that can check on the cat once every 2 days???
No friends but may end up paying my neighbor , yet again!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4103 posts
1851 upvotes
Edmonton
bluenose2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:43 am
We've used neighbors before, and we've done it for neighbors. Never once thought about charging them, never been asked to pay. Might consider offering to pay if it was a neighbor's kid that was going to do that just to be nice.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1624 posts
166 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:59 am
We've used neighbors before, and we've done it for neighbors. Never once thought about charging them, never been asked to pay. Might consider offering to pay if it was a neighbor's kid that was going to do that just to be nice.

C
My neighbors want money, no way around it.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3150 posts
552 upvotes
London
bluenose2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 12:13 pm
My neighbors want money, no way around it.
How much are these money hungry neighbours asking???
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
bluenose2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:43 am
You have more than just one neighbor?
Apr 25, 2011
640 posts
222 upvotes
British Columbia
There's nothing wrong with expecting some money for caring for your pet. If your cat was to be looked after by a pet sitter or put in a kennel it would be very expensive. If you don't trust anyone then your only option is a kennel.

Leaving a cat alone even for a few days is a bad idea. When we did, despite using a door jam, he managed to shut himself in the bathroom. He only had his litter box and water from the toilet for who knows how long. Lesson learned -- most pets I would never have left alone to start with but he had some particular issues. If we had been gone longer we could have come back to a cat that needed emergency care or worse. A cat that goes without food can develop hepatic lipidosis so we were very lucky.