Leaving cat alone

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 10:44 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2747 posts
183 upvotes
Put it outside . Lots of grear people in the neibour hood will feed it . Cat people are great like that . Hopefully they will let the cat roam . It will come back if it likes you .
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1138 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
If you live in a house your insurance company wants it checked every few days. Having the cat checked, daily is ideal, and keeps your insurance company happy.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2450 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
Just putting this out there - someone entering your house.
I know everyone in this forum is 'money conscience' (aka CHEAP), but ...
I'd be concerned about them being insured/bonded This is why hiring a professional is so important.

Hire a professional to enter your house every 2-3 days to clean out your cats' dishes and litter box.
It's the very least you can do for your pet.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
I was about to post the same when MrsPotato beat me to it.

We will be going away for 2 weeks this summer and will have a bonded and insured professional check our house every 3 days. Our insurance requires that someone check the house every 7 days - you might check your policy and call to ensure that nothing has changed.

However, it is required that we turn off the outside hose from the inside to ensure that no one breaks the outside window and tosses the hose into the basement. Insurance will not cover any damage if that occurs - and it happens a lot.

Note though that there are various charges depending on what you need done. Our dog is going to be boarded so all the person needs to do is check the house. We do not have any real house plants due to my allergies. The cost just for doing the check is approximately $25.00 per day plus taxes. Now boarding the dog that is a big charge since he is home boarded.

If you need to have the house checked there will be a charge for that plus a separate charge for feeding and cleaning up after your pet. I do not know the cost of the pet care.

You did mention your neighbours and they expect to be paid for minding your cat. Do your neighbours have a pet and have you cared for their pet in the past without charging? You need to be able to return the favour somehow - if they do not have a pet, then you would need to do something.

What did concern me was that you said that your cat becomes very needy in the evenings. Is your cat perhaps very dog like? We had a cat like this once and we left her for 2 days only. A co-worker who lived in the same complex came over to check on her and feed/clean up. However our cat was ballistic that we were not there at night. We returned the favour by caring for her big dog. Actually her dog ended up staying at our house because I couldn't stand seeing him looking so pathetic. Our cat was left in our house. The next time we went away our cat was sitting at the front door with her suitcase packed. She was more of a dog than the dog we had at the time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36816 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
Your cat will survive just fine. But he/she will get depressed and lonely. And probably pissed off when the litter box fills up.

Kitty mental health is just as important as physical! IF their minds are sharp... They're just happier and healthier. That's why you need to play with them everyday.
Jul 25, 2008
699 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Check veterinary clinics, they offer kennel services for less than $20/day for cats. I believe its cheaper than Petsmart pet hotel
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
thanks everyone!!

i'm just gonna bite the bullet and pay my neighbor, I've done it before.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
484 upvotes
I would do it for free, but I doubt you live close to me. I have a ton of time, don't own pets, but take care of cats/dogs sometimes of friends.

but I have to hang out with your cat for a bit first....why? well...I took care of one of my friends cat one time, all she did was jump on me all day and scratch me. Then run when I tried to play with her. Then I'd go to sleep and my face would get scratched until I got up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
toronto19850 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:48 pm
I would do it for free, but I doubt you live close to me. I have a ton of time, don't own pets, but take care of cats/dogs sometimes of friends.

but I have to hang out with your cat for a bit first....why? well...I took care of one of my friends cat one time, all she did was jump on me all day and scratch me. Then run when I tried to play with her. Then I'd go to sleep and my face would get scratched until I got up

Yeah but I wouldn't feel comfortable having a stranger rooting around my apartment when I'm not there also all cats are different with different personalities mine is super friendly
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
484 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:33 pm
Yeah but I wouldn't feel comfortable having a stranger rooting around my apartment when I'm not there also all cats are different with different personalities mine is super friendly
yeah I wouldn't go to someones place, my friends just bring the cat/dog to my place

just wondering do you know if you have the insurance company check on your house, can they steal anything?

and whenever I go on vacation I never let anyone know I'm gone(although I think your neighbours would be fine) and I have someone take the newspaper at my door when I'm gone. lots of people break in houses when they know no ones there.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Perhaps I am reading your question regarding the insurance company incorrectly - but it reads as if the INSURANCE CO. would be checking on your house. Unless your particular insurance company offers such a service (unlikely) but for a price, you would have to hire someone to come in and check your house.

Anyone can steal - including neighbours.

We use a service in Toronto - the house checkers are bonded and insured. No problems. We do not require any services except for checking the house and bringing in the mail. If he didn't do this we would stop the mail. Many people stop their newspapers.

The only thing we would worry about would be our dog - and he is boarded elsewhere.

Of course everyone knows you are away regardless of the safeguards you take.

I agree that if I was going to mind someone's pet the pet would stay at my house.