Cell Phones

Leaving the country for a couple years but want to keep my number that is with Telus. Options?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2019 9:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 4, 2009
53 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Leaving the country for a couple years but want to keep my number that is with Telus. Options?

I am leaving the country for 1-2 years in a couple months but I would like to keep my number that is currently with Telus. I pay about $100 per month on a plan and I think I have about $260 device balance left.

What are my best options to pay as little as possible to keep my number? I would ideally like something that's secure enough that I wouldn't lose my number (no random internet phone providers...)

Thank you.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24626 posts
10080 upvotes
1 year would be cheaper at voip.ms ($12 port in, plus a buck a month) while 13 months+ would be cheaper at FPL ($25 port fee, $0 maintenance) .

voip.ms has been around for quite a while (I recently received a 10 year email from them)
FPL isn't going anywhere either.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2009
53 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thank you both. I think I might try voip.ms.

Also, do I need to pay the device balance to get out of my plan? Is there any way around this? I heard there may be a cancellation fee too.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1445 posts
612 upvotes
Calgary
You will need to pay your device balance. There should not be any other cancellation fees anymore as per the CRTC Wireless Code.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2922 posts
974 upvotes
Montreal
with Fongo, if you don't make one outgoing per 90 days, your account (and your number...) can be deleted.

so yeah, probably better with voip.ms
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006