• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 6:46 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2007
25 posts
Lots of sellers on eBay. Best prices I've seen are on there.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2965 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 19th, 2014 1:06 am
Don't trust the ebay ones... They burn out fast. I already went through a set of 12 in less then a few months.
Better to get them from a local dealer that has some warranty.
"Ebay ones"?
That's a rather general statement.
Which "ebay ones"?

I bought two sets directly from China - they look identical to the ones sold here in the store but are a fraction of the price.
No problems with reliability or anything else, just the colour - too white.

With LED lights one really needs to look in detail at the specs (and hope the specs are right)
The ones I bought were rated at a colour temperature of 2700 - 3200 K, classified as "warm white", they must have been at the 3200K end of the range.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7596 posts
1677 upvotes
Brampton
krs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2014 10:25 am
"Ebay ones"?
That's a rather general statement.
Which "ebay ones"?

I bought two sets directly from China - they look identical to the ones sold here in the store but are a fraction of the price.
No problems with reliability or anything else, just the colour - too white.

With LED lights one really needs to look in detail at the specs (and hope the specs are right)
The ones I bought were rated at a colour temperature of 2700 - 3200 K, classified as "warm white", they must have been at the 3200K end of the range.
Most 2700-3200k are considered to be warm white however you can be in this range and still have terrible hues(too green, too orange, too red, too blue etc) which no-name chinese bulbs are known for.
Most 3200k - 4300k are considered neutral
5000k-6500k is usually called daylight
then you have the crap from 7500-10000k.
The chinese on the other hand call everything from 2700k - 4300k warm white and the rest white.

The Urbanpoet is correct Chinese no-name bulbs are junk for the most part. Either they use cloned LEDs that look like LumiLED, Cree, Samsung, LG LEDs but are actually made in factories that aren't licensed. Or they are usually paired with sub-par electronics. You can usually spot the LED thru the lens and confirm they are real name brand or knock off LEDs but good luck getting in to the circuit. Good bulbs have thermal fuses, overload/voltage protection so your house doesn't burn down. Or the Electronics are only 30-50% efficient vs 80%+ for a name brand.
Casings are also easily cloned so while your Bulb looks exactly the same as a name brand bulb on the outside it's the electronics and LEDs that matter.

To the point that specs matter. Yes; specs matter, but can you get access to the specs that matter.

Usually you can tell if a chinese bulb is good based on it's price usually it'll cost nearly as much as the name brand.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2965 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I bought two sets of LED bulbs here:
http://www.buyincoins.com/s/LED-GU10.html
Specs are pretty detailed.

The reviews of those bulbs are much better than the reviews of equivalent Philips bulbs on the HD website for example
They work as advertised, build quality is very good from what I can see externally
Don't have any of the problems reported on the Home Depot reviews about the Philips ones - dimming works with a normal dimmer, no buzzing or other noises, brightness is much higher than the oners on the HD site - visually the LED bulbs I have are a bit brighter than the standard halogen 50 Watt bulbs they replaced and they of course run much cooler.
And the Philips ones are made in China as well, so...............
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6w-led- ... 19194639:s
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6650 posts
930 upvotes
Looking for about 10~15 bulbs to replace our spotlight style fixtures which currently are using 50W Halogen screw in bulbs. :p

However, for such blubs in LED, the average going right for similar brightness is about $14~$26 a pop, depends on brand and store we checked (HD/Costco/Lowes/ETC).

Is there a better place to bulk purchase than at the stores mentioned above ?? Thx.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2965 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Search on the net for LED E27
Something like this:
http://www.buyincoins.com/item/40906.html
E27 is the bulb for a screw-in socket; you could also add floodlight to the search.

If you're not in a rush I would strongly recommend you buy one lightbulb first to try it out to see how you like the colour of the light.

If you're looking at specs, make sure the size is correct, a lot of the LED lights are deeper and sometimes slightly larger in diameter than the standard incandescent 50W floodlight.
Depending on the type of fixture a slightly larger bulb may not fit.
You also want about 500 lumens to get the same brightness and you need to decide if you need a dimmable LED bulb.
Dimmanles are more expensive than non-dimmables, some also need special dimmers.

I also often come across a place in Montreal that specializes in LED lights, a bit more expensive than the ones from China but you don't have to wait 5-6 weeks before the item shows up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6650 posts
930 upvotes
^Thanks. Just to add, the current Halogen bulbs are Liminus Par 20 so I guess the eqv. LED is what I will have to look for.

And Costco has them at $17 now - http://www.costco.ca/Luminus%C2%AE-LED- ... reId=10302

Edit: Ended buying the same ones from Costco in stores for a bit less, very painful but I think we are doing the right thing.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
21 upvotes
Costco (Ontario) is applying the Ontario SaveONenergy rebates instantly at the checkout. https://saveonenergy.ca/Consumer/Progra ... bates.aspx

The price (Costco on Merivale in Ottawa) was $9.99 before rebate for the GU10. Price after rebate: $4.99. I bought 8 to replace the halogens in my kitchen pots. They are PERFECT. Fully dimmable right down low, light output is great (not overly bright). Colour temp is nice. Light is not harsh. Luminus brand.

The PAR20 were on for $19.99 - I think. Minus the $5/bulb rebate.

The limit was 5 per purchase but the cashier didn't bother to care and I bought all 8 for $40 (+HST on the full pre-discount price). I think it was one of the best purchases for my house in ages.
Sep 30, 2011
5 posts
CHARLESBOURG
I'd go for Nanolights... they are the only one I've found who really care both about having truely low consumption AND taking care of reproducing colors we are used to with incandecent lights. Just too bad they are not dimmable ( yet )
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1206 posts
82 upvotes
curls00 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2014 2:03 pm
Costco (Ontario) is applying the Ontario SaveONenergy rebates instantly at the checkout. https://saveonenergy.ca/Consumer/Progra ... bates.aspx

The price (Costco on Merivale in Ottawa) was $9.99 before rebate for the GU10. Price after rebate: $4.99. I bought 8 to replace the halogens in my kitchen pots. They are PERFECT. Fully dimmable right down low, light output is great (not overly bright). Colour temp is nice. Light is not harsh. Luminus brand.

The PAR20 were on for $19.99 - I think. Minus the $5/bulb rebate.

The limit was 5 per purchase but the cashier didn't bother to care and I bought all 8 for $40 (+HST on the full pre-discount price). I think it was one of the best purchases for my house in ages.
I wanted these too but I need the screw in types for my pot lights, anyone know where I can get those at a good price? There 16 bucks each at Home Depot and were not part of the 5 dollar off promotion that is currently going on.
Nov 22, 2004
227 posts
54 upvotes
I'm trying to find "daylight" colour temperature ones, but they're quite expensive at most places ($32 for a pair at Home Depot, Lowes) and on top of that, they don't qualify for SaveOnEnergy rebates (for some reason, these bulbs are not energy star certified). Walmart has 5000K 60W Great Value brand bulbs for $12. Still pricey, but I may have to just get them. Anyone have any idea of the quality of these bulbs?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7596 posts
1677 upvotes
Brampton
Anyone know where to find the 100W equiv. Cree bulb that just recently came out?
I can't wait till LEDs or even CFLs start making 120W equiv bulbs. Does anyone still remember the 120W incan bulbs?
Sep 29, 2013
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Feb 19th, 2014 12:43 pm
Most 2700-3200k are considered to be warm white however you can be in this range and still have terrible hues(too green, too orange, too red, too blue etc) which no-name chinese bulbs are known for.
Most 3200k - 4300k are considered neutral
5000k-6500k is usually called daylight
then you have the crap from 7500-10000k.
The chinese on the other hand call everything from 2700k - 4300k warm white and the rest white.

The Urbanpoet is correct Chinese no-name bulbs are junk for the most part. Either they use cloned LEDs that look like LumiLED, Cree, Samsung, LG LEDs but are actually made in factories that aren't licensed. Or they are usually paired with sub-par electronics. You can usually spot the LED thru the lens and confirm they are real name brand or knock off LEDs but good luck getting in to the circuit. Good bulbs have thermal fuses, overload/voltage protection so your house doesn't burn down. Or the Electronics are only 30-50% efficient vs 80%+ for a name brand.
Casings are also easily cloned so while your Bulb looks exactly the same as a name brand bulb on the outside it's the electronics and LEDs that matter.

To the point that specs matter. Yes; specs matter, but can you get access to the specs that matter.

Usually you can tell if a chinese bulb is good based on it's price usually it'll cost nearly as much as the name brand.
Electronics are where they cut corners are those are exactly the parts that are most likely to fail before the actual LED does. It does you no good to skimp on those if you plan on getting any life out of the bulbs and saving actual money.

In addition to that you are getting bulbs with unknown CRI so who knows how crappy they will look in your house. The Philips alien head one gets 92 CRI and the newer white A19 bulbs (5000K daylight) are rated at around 78 CRI. It's much easier to trust bulbs that actually state things like this in the specs.
Feb 17, 2002
910 posts
18 upvotes
Edmonton
bump.. does anyone know of an LED replacement for a T3 Halogen type bulb?