None
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8922 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
Taiphun wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2014 10:54 pm
bump.. does anyone know of an LED replacement for a T3 Halogen type bulb?
Funny, I am looking for the same thing. I found some via google searches but I don't know if any are CSA approved or available to purchase locally.

Anyone know?

Something like this:

http://www.ecosmartinc.com/catled/catled_r7s.php
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I recently tried out the Philips Slim Style LED 8w=40w bulb in soft white. The bulb is quiet (in a non-dimmable lamp) and the light is warm. It's not that bright, so I would recommend going for the higher wattage bulb. I won a $5 gift card to use on it. Otherwise, I find these bulbs really expensive.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2965 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Becks wrote:
Dec 20th, 2014 6:20 am
I recently tried out the Philips Slim Style LED 8w=40w bulb in soft white. The bulb is quiet (in a non-dimmable lamp) and the light is warm. It's not that bright, so I would recommend going for the higher wattage bulb. I won a $5 gift card to use on it. Otherwise, I find these bulbs really expensive.
I assume you mean this bulb:

[IMG]http://www.marketingtribune.nl/design/n ... -scale.jpg[/IMG]

How is the light pattern?

The one "Expert" review I read complained that the light pattern of that bulb is very uneven and blotchy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The light is normal. U wouldn't know it is LED unless u looked at the bulb itself, which is a line of LEDs.
Oct 25, 2006
240 posts
55 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2014 9:24 am
Anyone know where to find the 100W equiv. Cree bulb that just recently came out?
I can't wait till LEDs or even CFLs start making 120W equiv bulbs. Does anyone still remember the 120W incan bulbs?
There are bulbs that are equal to 400W metal halide bulbs, it'll just cost you a "bit" more.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2346 posts
239 upvotes
Waterloo
krs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2014 2:49 pm
I bought two sets of LED bulbs here:
http://www.buyincoins.com/s/LED-GU10.html
Specs are pretty detailed.

The reviews of those bulbs are much better than the reviews of equivalent Philips bulbs on the HD website for example
They work as advertised, build quality is very good from what I can see externally
Don't have any of the problems reported on the Home Depot reviews about the Philips ones - dimming works with a normal dimmer, no buzzing or other noises, brightness is much higher than the oners on the HD site - visually the LED bulbs I have are a bit brighter than the standard halogen 50 Watt bulbs they replaced and they of course run much cooler.
And the Philips ones are made in China as well, so...............
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6w-led- ... 19194639:s

I realise this post is about a year old. Just to add, when buying a LED bulb with non directional connector ( such as GU10 ), make sure it is CE approved. There is a risk of shock in the non directional bulbs with heatsinks Such as those found on Kijiji selling for almost the same price as in store but with no warranty.
Jan 12, 2015
93 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For the consumer, the main benefits of LED fixtures are clear: they’re energy efficient, can last for more than 20 years and, in many cases, give off good light. The prices have gone down steadily as well as the LED components have dropped in price and lighting companies introduce better designs. Now the question is: how do you distinguish between them? There are so many kinds of LED bulb in the market now.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2346 posts
239 upvotes
Waterloo
summersmith1993 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2015 8:16 pm
For the consumer, the main benefits of LED fixtures are clear: they’re energy efficient, can last for more than 20 years and, in many cases, give off good light. The prices have gone down steadily as well as the LED components have dropped in price and lighting companies introduce better designs. Now the question is: how do you distinguish between them? There are so many kinds of LED bulb in the market now.
While the LED can last that long, wether the rest of the electronics will last as long remains to be seen :)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I was able to buy some Philips A19 dimmable 11w (=60w) soft white LED bulbs. I have good hearing because I usually wear ear plugs when I'm out in public. I do hear a bit of buzzing, but that's only if my head is right near the bulb. Since the light fixture is on the ceiling, I don't really hear it if I am farther away. The bulbs came in rectangular, closed, paper packaging, so I assume Philips was having problems with the bulbs cracking in their previous, more exposed packaging.
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
Need recommendation on dimmable LED bulbs that do not make humming noises. Much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11704 posts
882 upvotes
Mississauga
If anyone is looking for GU10 bulbs, I have 10 extra ones that I can sell at my cost.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Does anyone know if the Philips A19 bulb gives off UV radiation? I want to know if it will degrade Victorian wood furniture if the bulb is in a desk lamp.
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
102 upvotes
I've got a bulb near a fan that always burns out, a CFL one. Could this be attributed to the vibration, would an LED do better?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2965 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
@ Brecks - I would ask Philips directly

@turnipx - I have no first hand experience with CFLs near a fan, all mine are in desk and wall lights and they seem to last forever.
I now started using LED lights becausethey arecheaper to buy and also use less energy

But from what I have readseveral places - CFLs near a fan don't last very long.
Apparently the vibration eventually cause the electronics to fail - probably depends on the quality of the electronics, how well they are assembled and soldered - assuming they aresoldered at all.
Suggestion is to use LED bulbs - but these use electronics as well, so quality is still a criteria.
I would try an LED bulb from a major manufacturer, keep the receipt, and if it doesn't last take it back for a refund.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1051 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I remember IKEA use to have LED bulbs. 2 bulbs/6.99$. 6W in MTL.
I think it is suitable to light a room <24 squar meters or in a dark hall.
I will go and check in IKEA next week end if this thread still here, I will post something.
Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)