Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto

LED monitors and heat

Do LEDs run cooler than LCDs? I am trying to decide whether it is worth the extra $100 to get an LED (back-light) monitor.

Thanks
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Jruuu wrote: Do LEDs run cooler than LCDs? I am trying to decide whether it is worth the extra $100 to get an LED (back-light) monitor.
No. As long as you like the colours/brightness of the non-LED monitor.

Considering most LCD monitors are between $180 - $300, an extra $100 is a lot of money for three letters. The current LED technolgy is via edge lighting, not local dimming (array of LEDs behind entire LCD panel).

$100 can get you a 1.5 TB Hard Drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2010
1229 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote: No. As long as you like the colours/brightness of the non-LED monitor.

Considering most LCD monitors are between $180 - $300, an extra $100 is a lot of money for three letters. The current LED technolgy is via edge lighting, not local dimming (array of LEDs behind entire LCD panel).

$100 can get you a 1.5 TB Hard Drive.
Did you consider the cost of operation in the long haul? LED consumes like 1/3 the power of regular backlit LCD. I don't know about heat but if that's the case, then that would be good as well if you're running multiple setups.

How many would go out and buy a CRT even though it can be had for 1/5 the price of a LCD? CRTs has better IQ but you have to consider the intangibles like nicer looking setup (thin vs bulky), won't break your back trying to move it, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
The Radio Dept. wrote: Did you consider the cost of operation in the long haul? LED consumes like 1/3 the power of regular backlit LCD. I don't know about heat but if that's the case, then that would be good as well if you're running multiple setups.
If you want to be "green", I agree low power consumption is better.

From a cost perspective, I think it will take many years of useage to recover the $100. Assuming it costs $1/month more to run the non-LED display, then it would take 100months or 8+ years to recover the $100. (Or 9.4yrs if we include HST).

Does OP have the power requirements of the LED vs. non-LED monitors? (Just to do the math.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)