None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3222 posts
169 upvotes
Markham

left turn and blind spot

i live in Toronto and will have road test soon.there is an issue confused me:my driving instructor told me no need to check blind spot when I make left turn,but driver's handbook said "check blind spot',so should I check blind spot when I make left turn? thanks
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1598 posts
199 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Could it be you're confusing left turn with left lane change? I'm pretty sure I didn't check my blind spot when I took my G test making a left turn and I passed.
:D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9221 posts
644 upvotes
smartie wrote:
May 30th, 2010 9:18 am
i live in Toronto and will have road test soon.there is an issue confused me:my driving instructor told me no need to check blind spot when I make left turn,but driver's handbook said "check blind spot',so should I check blind spot when I make left turn? thanks
Is this you by any chance?
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/052810 ... o-Released

to answer your question. no, you don't need to check your blind spot when making a left turn at the light, but you DO need to check for any pedestrians.

to change lanes.... ALWAYS check blind spot, this is not only for the test, it is what will save your life on the road.
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
Left turn and blind spot?

In my case, I am still doing driving lessons once in a while. Most of my left turns are in the middle of an intersection for some reason. And I don't check at the blind spot while making a left turn.

Most of my right turns involve looking at the blind spot for some reason. I don't know what it is. It seems like there are more bicycles coming on the right side of the car very often. So I do check for blind spot while making a right turn. And I check if people are planning to walk across the street. So foot on the breaks.

Changing lanes = always look at blind spot. All mirrors. Even a quick glance.
Feb 18, 2010
104 posts
On the actual driving test they DO mark you down for checking blind spots (or lack thereof) on all turns and lane changes.

Generally in actual driving, checking blind spot for a left turn is pointless as it will be the middle of the road or median where no one should ever be when you are in the situation where you can make a proper left.

Right turn checks are a good idea for pedestrians/cyclists.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10709 posts
1690 upvotes
Toronto
Let's apply some common sense. If you are going to position your car at a location that someone else's car could also be there and potentially at the same time, does it not make sense to check first. Collision = more than one car being at the same place at the same time.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37906 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How hard is it to check the blind spot? You have to turn your head to check for pedestrians anyways, it's probably a difference of 10 degrees to check the blind spot. Better safe than sorry.

I just build it into my habit - I always check the blind spot whenever I lane change, turn, and pass by a parked car.
*BRAND NEW* 2016 Model Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor Only **$430**
(Reg. $499+tax=$560+) Save > $130!
Silver Coins | Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jun 12, 2009
437 posts
37 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:
May 30th, 2010 11:09 am
I
to answer your question. no, you don't need to check your blind spot when making a left turn at the light, but you DO need to check for any pedestrians.
+1
kingofwale wrote:
May 30th, 2010 11:09 am
to change lanes.... ALWAYS check blind spot, this is not only for the test, it is what will save your life on the road.
There is a better way.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
kabome wrote:
May 30th, 2010 12:22 pm
On the actual driving test they DO mark you down for checking blind spots (or lack thereof) on all turns and lane changes.

Generally in actual driving, checking blind spot for a left turn is pointless as it will be the middle of the road or median where no one should ever be when you are in the situation where you can make a proper left.

Right turn checks are a good idea for pedestrians/cyclists.
And that is the definitive term....SHOULD.

In 9 cases out of 10, other drivers and pedestrians aren't acting / driving as they SHOULD according to the rules of the road IMO.

Drive defensively at all times - i.e expect the unexpected....trust no one else on the road ....don't assume anything.

There is absolutely no down side to taking half a second to check your blind spots.

So, check your blind spot making a left turn.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
7682 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
That's referring to merging into the lane where it is a 'left-turn only' lane.

This is because, a car behind could have turned into that 'lane' prematurely and be in your blindspot, while you're assuming that there is nobody behind you bc the left-turn only lane is just starting from the current left lane (that goes straight) your on.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1467 posts
137 upvotes
You know, I would've thought you wouldn't need to, BUT Rehan posted this http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0668_e.htm up last week in another thread and one thing I read:
(5) If the incident occurs when automobile “A” is turning left at an intersection and automobile “B” is overtaking automobile “A” to pass it, the driver of automobile “A” is 25 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 75 per cent at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 10 (5).

WTF?! So I guess the answer is yes, you need to check your blind spot just in case some moron is trying to pass you...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9221 posts
644 upvotes
akira1971 wrote:
May 31st, 2010 12:08 am
You know, I would've thought you wouldn't need to, BUT Rehan posted this http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0668_e.htm up last week in another thread and one thing I read:

WTF?! So I guess the answer is yes, you need to check your blind spot just in case some moron is trying to pass you...
absolute BS.

if I'm standing still waiting for the traffic to turn left. Some idiot hits me from the side, I am going to get blamed 25% for that?

so... another way to put it... we all know that fender-bender is 100% fault of the guy from behind.... so if you can't stop. instead of hitting the guy in the back.... you aim for the side.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37906 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kingofwale wrote:
May 31st, 2010 1:05 am
absolute BS.

if I'm standing still waiting for the traffic to turn left. Some idiot hits me from the side, I am going to get blamed 25% for that?

so... another way to put it... we all know that fender-bender is 100% fault of the guy from behind.... so if you can't stop. instead of hitting the guy in the back.... you aim for the side.
Uh, well that's why you check your blind spot.
*BRAND NEW* 2016 Model Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor Only **$430**
(Reg. $499+tax=$560+) Save > $130!
Silver Coins | Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor
Heatware | RFD Feedback
× < >