Left turn - red light camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2012 5:26 pm
Apr 27, 2008
112 posts

Left turn - red light camera?

I was at the intersection of Midland/Progress today waiting for a left turn. There was a car in front of me and my car was out in the intersection already, stopped fore more than 15 seconds and waited for the road to clear to make a left. The car in front of me made its left turn just when the lights turned red, and I made my left turn immediately after that car, of course. Then I saw a red light camera sign there and I was horrified. But then again I was already stopped in the intersection and waited for a long time to turn. The only thing is maybe the very back of my car was still on the white stop line, I don't even know. How likely will I get a ticket for that from the red light camera?
3 replies
Dec 20, 2006
60 posts
Any vehicle that has passed the stop bar before the light has turned red is legally in the intersection and is allowed to clear the intersection before vehicles at any other approaches can enter the intersection at the start of their green phase.

The red light cameras are designed to only record the vehicles that enter the intersection after the red is displayed. They take a picture of the vehicle as it reaches the stop bar if the signal is red and it is determined that the vehicle is going too fast to stop.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
what matters is when you enter an intersection and not when you exit
× < >